Black Isle Returns?

Oerwinde

i think its wildly inappropriate to use the name black isle without the people who WERE black isle

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I like the idea of a post apocalyptic strategy RPG where you have to gather resources and help your community thrive... make it an MMO and I lose all interest.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It doesn't sound as if it'll still be an MMO. But there's almost no chance of them finishing this, they've gotten nowhere in years.

Vaporware usually has more to show for it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Opinion: Black Isle is a great case study in how to NOT crowdfund your game

That about says it all right there.

I mean, who knows, the game itself might have some merit to it, if we ever get to see it. But this whole process, from what little I know at least, doesn't exactly inspire confidence or desire to help out. :getlost:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Fantastic, it's a group of people claiming to be a classic RPG dev (Despite the vast majority of that RPG dev working at a completely different company that I actually know I can support) trying to get people to pay so they can make a game we don't even know if they can make either way.

"Well, there's many things they have forgotten sitting in their bowls. Friendship. The thrill of discovery. Love. Masturbation. The usual." -Dr. Mobius

I hope it comes to fruition, I hope it is good, and if both of those happen, I hope it succeeds.

That said, I will not be supporting it.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If they really want to regain their reputation, or make a...should I say good game, they need show more details of the game than others', and make a kickstarter funding, give the players who donated the money in a high level a promsied free copy, pledge goals etc... otherwise, all of things what their saying is very suspicious...

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

This is just about the sleaziest thing Interplay could have done.

As if resurrecting the Black Isle name(which they themselves ruined and buried) and trying to hitch onto the recent success of people they fired(or otherwise forced to leave) wasn't creepy enough.

But now they're asking people to give them money for forums access and the off-chance of a possibility that they might come up with an idea for something...

Seriously?

They've got jack squat except rights to a name, they don't have the faith to put up any money themselves, yet they expect us to trust them and shower them with dollars?

______ you, you ______ ______ ____________ _____ ________ ___ ____ a donkey _____ _____

_________ ________ ___________ with a melon _____ ________ ________ ______, twice!

*insert words that are probably bannable on these forums in the appropriate spaces*

I just watched the youtube

and my only impression is that this stinks... I was immediately reminded of Feargus' comment on the kickstarter page about being approached by a publisher who wanted them to start a kickstarter so the publisher doesn't have to pay anything for owning an IP. I'm pretty sure right now that was Interplay, seeing what they're currently up to. I seriously hope nobody invests in this fraud.

I just watched the youtube

I like how they disabled comments and ratings. :lol:

The first half of that video is terrible, like the worst SNL news sketch ever. lol

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Don't forget to check the Facebook comments! It's like watching a drunkard ranting. Really sad.

EDIT: Some of those updates aren't on the fundraiser, so some people are wondering whether the Facebook page has been hacked. The fact that I can't tell is telling, though I don't know whether it's telling about me or their whole campaign..

Edited by WorstUsernameEver
  • Like 2

From their Facebook:

- Update #1 --

Not all of our updates will be of a serious nature. But this one is. The difference should be obvious, but in this case, we wanted to make certain people understood.

This is a real effort at creating a game. We wanted to be playful in our approach. We’re making games and that should be fun, both for us and for the fans involved. Game creation shouldn’t revolve around negativity.

We also want fan involvement. Positive involvement. That’s important to us, to the project. We want the final game to be something different, something entertaining. We want feedback on the game ideas.

We’re combining the call for fan involvement with a funding request. There’s no illusion here that we’re going to build more than a prototype with this level of funding. The final game will require more. But this initial funding method does two things. For one, it gives us an idea of who’s actually interested in a new post apocalyptic game – noted by their donation. This method, creating a private forum for those truly interested, also allows us to focus on those people. To hear their voices as opposed to the naysayers.

We understand there’s negative PR involved because of the past. People are free to make any comments they want. But that doesn’t help make something new. Those that aren’t interested in a new game can sit on the sidelines and gripe. That’s their right. We get it. The Internet fosters that behavior. Not a judgment call, just an observation.

We want to spend our time making a good game and want everyone involved to have fun doing it. That’s what gaming is all about.

http://www.blackisle.com/

-- Update #2 -- Why you shouldn’t donate.

Something you should think about before donating or telling your friends to donate. You might be the cause of a small number of people sitting in their cramped, dark f****** shelter depressed because they’re not sitting in their cramped, dark f****** for real because the world didn’t really end.

Got that? Some people won’t be happy you’re helping.

So, if you have no compassion for those apocaleptics who want it all to come down around our ears (but not theirs), then you probably shouldn’t put in a contribution. But if those people, sitting in their ivory dungeons, annoy the hell out of you with their barrels of water, stacks of freeze dried, and smug attitudes, then maybe you should just empty the bank account on this project. Just to spite them.

Create some apoplectic apocaleptics. (Yeah, try saying it out loud.)

http://www.blackisle.com/

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

....give us money because people that think we suck are nasty fellows!

I had thought what they were trying to do was suck some $ out of unfortunate people who didn't know what exactly this new 'black isle' was, but I guess they're making it even harder for themselves.

That facebook update1 sounds like defensive sour grapes whining. And if they were trying to be humorous and "playful" with the update2, they failed.

The new holiday - Apocalypse Fool's?

....serious or prank, I'm going with the idea that they came up with a campaign/theme that at the time, they just personally thought was really funny. Y'know, where it sounded good at 2am over some alcohol.

Perhaps they'll surprise us later, however.

I don't understand, the argument against this should be very simple. Caen proved in the past he is diametrically opposed to everything that classic BI fans want. What else is there to say?

Lionheart. Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2. Run Like Hell. Hunter: The Reckoning.

If you like those piece of **** games, then you should probably be interested in Herve's Interplay. Nothing Herve has ever done has ever been about making good games. It's always been about dumbed- down turds. It's not about "failing" in the past, it's about intentionally opposing everything the original Black Isle ever stood for.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"