Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Project Eternity Update #36: Off to our elfhomes, but first...

project eternity josh sawyer resolution fighter priest rogue wizard

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

Luridis

Luridis

Nightfall of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

How about multi-monitor resolutions?

Unity 3D only supports one rendering window. However, there are some suggestions in that thread about how to use hardware or OS based scaling across multiple monitors.

mstark

mstark

Oblivious of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm thinking I'd like damage types to be more "flavour" than a strictly necessary strategic consideration. Say, crushing gets a bonus against heavy armour, but unless the encounter is especially challenging, requiring me to consider every single minor advantage I can possibly get, I'd be fine simply bashing away with my longsword.

That said, I'm well confident you devs will strike a good balance! Maybe weapon switching will be necessary in higher difficulties/challenge modes in order to take on different encounters, while lower difficulties have less dependence on damage types :)

cyberarmy

cyberarmy

Mass Destruction Weapon of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Woot, great update. happy holidays Obsidian. This stuff will "handle" us enough till you get back on your seats :)

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
thanks for the update! I wonder why stop at 2560x1440? Its been reported the next gen consoles will run 4k resolutions and due out the end of next year. We're not limited to dvd or blue ray's, though maybe it will be cheaper for you all to make some if you're concerned with bandwidth. Meanwhile in Kansas City they started installing new google internet 100X faster than current cable internet for only $70 a month. http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1207373 and here. http://bits.blogs.ny...ject-broadband/ I expect it to grow over the next 2 years.

Inventory- Any chance you guys could please create a junk bag and a quick way to toss things in the junk bag to sell when you reach a vender. Basically exactly what Kingdoms of Amalur did, they got that perfect!

Inertia

Inertia

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Solution: Less is more
Not all classes need the same number of active abilities. Mages should have most, fighters least.

Isn't part of the point of this update to show that if you want to make your fighter or whatever play like it did before with little to no active abilities you can and it'll be a viable option? I say design as many active/passive abilities as they see fit and let the player choose how to mix and match and in what ratios don't give a class less abilities of a certain type just because he is that class.

Edited by Inertia, 18 December 2012 - 11:23 PM.

• pipboy2000 likes this

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts
I was wondering if the devs were also cosidering dividing a weapon into %slashing/%piercing styles too. For example, you can slash with a sword, but you could also pierce with one.

Maybe it could be interesting to try style hybrids and see how they play out too?

But, I am strange.

The question is: are you the REAL JVC? If you are, just wanted to salute you sir. Your M&M series was what started my love for dungeon crawling RPGs. Cheers.

Edited by Hormalakh, 18 December 2012 - 11:37 PM.

Lord of Lost Socks

Lord of Lost Socks

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
And I come from the school of thought that any move, like riposte, cleave, etc. Are all in fact equally active abilities as a mage fireball and magic missile.

Otherwise playing fighters becomes a real snorefest. Whenever I play any IE games I just set the auto-attackers to attack and then I fiddle with my casters. Regardless of who my actual character is.
  • Monte Carlo likes this

JonVanCaneghem

JonVanCaneghem

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Solution: Less is more
Not all classes need the same number of active abilities. Mages should have most, fighters least.

Isn't part of the point of this update to show that if you want to make your fighter or whatever play like it did before with little to no active abilities you can and it'll be a viable option? I say design as many active/passive abilities as they see fit and let the player choose how to mix and match and in what ratios don't give a class less abilities of a certain type just because he is that class.

That's kind of an odd solution. The problem perfectionist people like myself have with the multitudinous active abilities, is that we AREN'T lazy. If I were, I would be content to allow my party to perform sub-optimally, so that I wouldn't have to tell all 6 of them what to do throughout the fight. The gist of the concept, "just build a character with more passive abilities," implies that I would be lazy enough to BUILD a sub-optimal character (i.e. forgo powerful active abilities). I'd be far more likely to pick what I considered "the best" of the active and passives, and I think this is exactly what an overwhelming majority of all players will tend to do. If by some game-design miracle the passives and the actives were perfectly balanced in utility, then the majority of people would choose the passives. After all, you have 5 other party members to worry about!

There's this idea that the game becomes more approachable or intuitive when each class has a perfectly equal number of abilities... but it is far easier to explain old D&D to someone.

"This is a fighter. Send him after the thing you want dead first. Sure his attack is always the same, but who you send him after can have a huge impact on the battle. Also know when to let them come to you."

"Mages have interesting and more situational abilities. As your mages gain power, choose a few of those spells you have available to memorize and use the next day. Spells can have huge effects, but you only have so many, so use them like a scarce resource."

The whole spectrum of complexity is found between those two, and it adds up to not a whole lot to wrap your head around. In my opinion of course.
  • Justinian and Moirnelithe like this

Lord of Lost Socks

Lord of Lost Socks

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's kind of an odd solution. The problem perfectionist people like myself have with the multitudinous active abilities, is that we AREN'T lazy. If I were, I would be content to allow my party to perform sub-optimally, so that I wouldn't have to tell all 6 of them what to do throughout the fight. The gist of the concept, "just build a character with more passive abilities," implies that I would be lazy enough to BUILD a sub-optimal character (i.e. forgo powerful active abilities). I'd be far more likely to pick what I considered "the best" of the active and passives, and I think this is exactly what an overwhelming majority of all players will tend to do. If by some game-design miracle the passives and the actives were perfectly balanced in utility, then the majority of people would choose the passives. After all, you have 5 other party members to worry about!

There's this idea that the game becomes more approachable or intuitive when each class has a perfectly equal number of abilities... but it is far easier to explain old D&D to someone.

"This is a fighter. Send him after the thing you want dead first. Sure his attack is always the same, but who you send him after can have a huge impact on the battle. Also know when to let them come to you."

"Mages have interesting and more situational abilities. As your mages gain power, choose a few of those spells you have available to memorize and use the next day. Spells can have huge effects, but you only have so many, so use them like a scarce resource."

The whole spectrum of complexity is found between those two, and it adds up to not a whole lot to wrap your head around. In my opinion of course.

I agree that this works well for video games, were you indeed control a whole party and you have always stuff to do and adding too much may become a chore. Dragon Age worked around this to some degree so that you could program your guys to do their abilities so you could focus on playing the ones you wanted to play. This could be a good idea. Boss fights always demanded more micro management, but for regular mobs, the party AI worked well. And that's how it should be.

However, as a tabletop game saying "He's a fighter, sure he does the same attack always, but that's fighters do, right?" is just horribly boring.

Edited by Lord of Lost Socks, 19 December 2012 - 12:00 AM.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm not sure if the "stash" option is something I really like. Having just a limited amount of space in your inventory on the road and choosing what you were going to take and what you were going to leave behind made the game a little bit more challenging. Maybe I'm not understanding it fully though.

Correct. You are not understanding it fully. The "stash" is carried, but inaccessible during combat, i.e. all of those bits and bobs buried deep in your pack that would take fifteen minutes to pull out. The top of your pack is presumably a place to store consumables or other things that your companions can get to in a hurry during combat if you fall, etc.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6713 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ha ha ha

Video killed the radio star... 4E pen and paper copied video games and now a video game copies elements of 4E.

As much as I hate 4E I suspect the mechanics inspired by it here (surges especially) might be quite cool in P:E. I'm a bit leery about the mixed damage system, seems a bit paper-scissors-stone (I don't want to have the RPG version of a golf bag of weapons... "Ah, an armoured troll, the Four Iron please").

Like everything else though, and yes, those of us who are part of the 1920 x 1200 Ubermensch need love too.

Happy Christmas

MC

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts
Oh and before I forget... Any update on the website/pledge fulfillment front? would be nice to get some information before the end of the year.

Gorionsson

Gorionsson

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I like the way familiars work. Very good.
Maybe I'll actually use them this time around. Rarely did in the old IE games.
Giving fighters more to do is also very important.
Not so sure about inventory, need some clarification on that one.

Excellent update overall.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4139 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Great Update!

Have a general question though. How is the design team now structured?

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

• Members
  • 6713 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Top of Pack:

Posted Image
  • rjshae and Ineth like this

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6501 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
That image with the multiple resolutions is very handy but it's missing most 16:10 resolutions.

1440x900
1680x1050
1920x1200

All these should be on there. Also, no black bars, please.
  • rjshae likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5308 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Wonderful update! And "elves" here has nothing to do with Santa's elves. PE-elves kill Santa's elves and put them on skewers and slowly turn them over open fires! :D

Inventory and top of the pack sounds great.
A meaty, in-context UI is also great.
Your description of the core classes were right up my alley, especially the wizard and her/his familiars (for an old P-n-P'er like me that almost brought tears to me eyes) and his/her scroll searching sounds fantastic. Grimoires FTW, as those pesky kids say nowadays.
Your ideas on armour and weapons are really exciting, and contrary to some earlier poster, I do want the system so complex that you would need a calculator to dive deeper into it, but while on screen in the midst of battle it shoould above all be strategic: piercing, slashing and crushing at the right moment and to the right enemy.

Merry X-mas, obsid elves! :)
  • rjshae likes this

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That image with the multiple resolutions is very handy but it's missing most 16:10 resolutions.

1440x900
1680x1050
1920x1200

All these should be on there. Also, no black bars, please.

but they've specified several times they're sticking with a 16:9 ratio not 16:10

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

• Members
  • 6713 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
^ It's not like these resolutions are particularly exotic or unusual, is it?

JonVanCaneghem

JonVanCaneghem

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I was wondering if the devs were also cosidering dividing a weapon into %slashing/%piercing styles too. For example, you can slash with a sword, but you could also pierce with one.

Maybe it could be interesting to try style hybrids and see how they play out too?

But, I am strange.

The question is: are you the REAL JVC? If you are, just wanted to salute you sir. Your M&M series was what started my love for dungeon crawling RPGs. Cheers.

Not the real one, but for some reason I found the name kind of funny/cool when I was a kid and it stuck as an internet handle. MM3 was my first PC game and definitely a brilliant work of gaming.

I like the idea of allowing multiple damage types for weapons. Something like a greatsword has an edge, but even with a dulled edge it can shatter bone due to its sheer weight. Axes are similar. Spears would be piercing but probably have some impact to them. Instead of making the player choose different types of attacks, you could just have the normal attack with each weapon do a varying portion of 1-2 types of damage.

Being able to thrust or slash with some weapons might be cool too. Makes a single weapon doubly useful. A lot will depend on how many weapon sets are allowed and whether there will be a penalty for swapping sets or if it will be instant.
  • Lephys likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, josh sawyer, resolution, fighter, priest, rogue, wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users