Kotaku Obsidian Article

Agreed, It is really sad to know that so many interesting ideas were cancelled. Especially the Aliens RPG, KotOR 3 and even Alpha Protocol 2, I can only hope one day at least one of them may get a second chance.

I will also join in the chorus to call for a remastered KotOR 2. I know it really is out of Obsidian's hands, even more so now with LucasArts owned by Disney, but I would love to see The Sith Lords restored. Even after 8 years, I still believe it one of the most interesting Star Wars tales ever told.

• Like 3

~I am Torgo, Innkeeper of the Obsidian Order, I take care of the place while the Masters are away.~

About BG III by Anthony Evans

Oh, it was quite the dream team... Many of us who worked on NWN2 and the expansions went on to Baldur's Gate 3, and there were some talented folks from other Obsidian projects that were borrowed, stolen or taken at sword-point.

Some members of the BG3 team included me (lead designer), Kevin Saunders (lead producer/martyr), Rich Taylor (lead programmer and friend to the animals), Paul Boyle (the one system designer to rule them all), Bobby Null (leading expert on D&D, whose middle name is Merlin), Matt Festa (tech designer and dark cleric of SketchUp), and Anthony Davis (of Legend). Forgive me for the names I left out. Fingers... cramping...

When BG3 was cancelled, many of us moved on to Dungeon Siege 3. Others said "f**k it all" and moved to China or left the game industry entirely. Some are biding their time, waiting for the batphone to ring so they can re-assemble, put their elf ears back on, and make the best damn D&D game known to man. Actually, I'm joking... Or am I?

Also the saddest quote by George Ziets

I came back to Obsidian in 2009 specifically to work on BG3. Then it was canceled about two weeks after I arrived. Ha!
Edited by C2B

Yay, finally a bit more information about project New Jersey :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They talked to Ubisoft. "We almost did a Might & Magic game," Urquhart said. It didn't happen: Ubisoft instead contracted a company called Arkane Studios (best known for this year's hit Dishonored) to make Dark Messiah of Might & Magic—probably, Urquhart said, because both Ubisoft and Arkane are French.

"I call [ubisoft] every year and I say ‘Hey, we'd love to make you a Might & Magic game," Urquhart said. "And they go, ‘We know.'"

A Might and Magic game by Obsidian would be awesome, especially if the story follows Heroes of Might and Magic 4.

I hate how badly Ubisoft has been treating the franchise.

• Like 1

but I would love to see The Sith Lords restored. Even after 8 years, I still believe it one of the most interesting Star Wars tales ever told.

Ehm? TSLRCM?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

they were about the make bg3... twice

The Black Hound was Baldur's Gate III in name only, and got the name after Interplay lost the D&D license (it was originally conceived as a totally separated D&D title). I presume Obsidian's treatment of Baldur's Gate III was meant to be truer to the franchise, in some way or another.

They talked to Ubisoft. "We almost did a Might & Magic game," Urquhart said. It didn't happen: Ubisoft instead contracted a company called Arkane Studios (best known for this year's hit Dishonored) to make Dark Messiah of Might & Magic—probably, Urquhart said, because both Ubisoft and Arkane are French.

"I call [ubisoft] every year and I say ‘Hey, we'd love to make you a Might & Magic game," Urquhart said. "And they go, ‘We know.'"

A Might and Magic game by Obsidian would be awesome, especially if the story follows Heroes of Might and Magic 4.

I hate how badly Ubisoft has been treating the franchise.

I got seriously bored with M&M by about the fourth game. Advance four square, fight some monsters; advance two more squares, fight some monsters; advance three squares, fight some monsters.... There was little tactical feel to the combat and it all got very repetitive.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

but I would love to see The Sith Lords restored. Even after 8 years, I still believe it one of the most interesting Star Wars tales ever told.

Ehm? TSLRCM?

I used to be a beta-tester for the team gizka one. Unfortunately that one never got finished. a shame because it had gotten almost to the end. (only a little genoharadan piece had to be finished.) And the voice acting for Kaevee was so much better than the TSLRCM. most voice acting was better imo. Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Feargus says he wants to work on a KOTOR III, but I'm not sure what it would be about if Drew Karpyshyn's novel 'Revan' is canon (and I believe it is). Both Revan and the Exile would be ... indisposed.

IMO, that novel and the subsequent TOR ruined any chance of a good KOTOR III single player game being developed. At least in terms of providing a satisfying resolution to the Revan and Exile characters, as well as remaining plot points after KOTOR II.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Feargus says he wants to work on a KOTOR III, but I'm not sure what it would be about if Drew Karpyshyn's novel 'Revan' is canon (and I believe it is). Both Revan and the Exile would be ... indisposed.

IMO, that novel and the subsequent TOR ruined any chance of a good KOTOR III single player game being developed. At least in terms of providing a satisfying resolution to the Revan and Exile characters, as well as remaining plot points after KOTOR II.

That's why my hope is that if Obsidian manages to do another Star Wars game it won't be in The Old Republic timeline.

The Old Republic Timeline has become far too full and busy.

A new Star Wars RPG should start on a fresh page, so to speak.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

And the voice acting for Kaevee was so much better than the TSLRCM.

You've got to be kidding me.

I can't say the TSLRCM Kaevee is great, but TSLRP's made you want to grind your ears out. Probably more due to the extreme low quality mic than the actress, sure.

Besides that, there aren't any 'new lines' in TSLRP, except for Obsidian ones. And... thus they aren't any different.

So, again, seriously?

I do agree it's a shame TSLRP never saw the light, but Kaevee and GenoHaraden wrre by far the weakest link in the product.

EDIT (new posts);

Yeah... if KOTOR3 it best ignores all that stuff, and starts from KOTOR2 with only that (and KOTOR1 of course) as base.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of a possible KotOR 3. I figure it'd be best if they either ignore the **** out of the novels and The Old Republic, which probably wouldn't win them any points with anyone, or give it a setting and a story where none of that **** really matters.

jcod0.png

As far as I'm aware Knights of the Old Republic is more of a timeline rather than a specific storyline, given that it was also used as a title for the comics. Either way, I'm sure a creative writer could come with dozens of potential ideas that still fit the larger canon. Can't say I can see Disney/Lucas being interested right now, though.

Yes, but given the previous two games and TOR, there's going to be a lot of pressure on for it to resolve the Revan/Exile narrative.

Plus, I thought I read that Disney was planning to shut down LucasArts and/or scale back on Star Wars games...

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Plus, I thought I read that Disney was planning to shut down LucasArts and/or scale back on Star Wars games...

On ingame LA titles yes. They did wanted to branch them out to third party developers. And KOTOR is a perfect example of a good outsourced LA game ;).

^

As far as I'm aware Knights of the Old Republic is more of a timeline rather than a specific storyline, given that it was also used as a title for the comics. Either way, I'm sure a creative writer could come with dozens of potential ideas that still fit the larger canon. Can't say I can see Disney/Lucas being interested right now, though.

It is, but at the same time one would assume that adding a "III" to the title suggests it, like KOTOR I and II, are set within the same relative time frame, with the same events taking place during. Fair or not, fans of the series are also going to expect a third installment to wrap up all loose ends from the previous two games.

Like someone else said, if it's not going to be about Revan, the Exile, or the "True Sith" that was mentioned constantly by Kreia, they might as well make it in a different time period.

Of course this is all moot since I doubt any sort of KOTOR-esque game gets made.

• Like 2

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yes, but given the previous two games and TOR, there's going to be a lot of pressure on for it to resolve the Revan/Exile narrative.

There was already a book that did that, though.

The Exile dies and Revan get possessed or something. Or so I hear.

The awfulness is in the details.

Revan is kept alive by the Sith Emperor so that he can be used as a disposable raid boss for Sith players in TOR. Meanwhile, In the Revan novel, the Exile has the proverbial bridge dropped on her so hard Kreia probably felt it. If you can stomach reading it, the novel in question makes it pretty clear Drew Karpyshyn wasn't really paying much attention at all to anything that happened in KOTOR2, even before that game came apart at the seams near the end, and pretty obviously didn't want to think too hard about it.

Basically, you've got a Star Control situation: there has been a 'canon' sequel to KOTOR and KOTOR2, both in the book Revan and the game TOR, but that canon is pretty bad and in an ideal world would do well with being replaced with an Obsidian-made KOTOR3. It won't be, though, because TOR is ongoing and its canon stands.

In short, a KOTOR3 that continues the Revan-Exile storyline is a lost cause. Better to accept that and move on, I think.

• Like 1

I can't say the TSLRCM Kaevee is great, but TSLRP's made you want to grind your ears out. Probably more due to the extreme low quality mic than the actress, sure.

Besides that, there aren't any 'new lines' in TSLRP, except for Obsidian ones. And... thus they aren't any different.

So, again, seriously?

I do agree it's a shame TSLRP never saw the light, but Kaevee and GenoHaraden wrre by far the weakest link in the product.

EDIT (new posts);

Yeah... if KOTOR3 it best ignores all that stuff, and starts from KOTOR2 with only that (and KOTOR1 of course) as base.

I feel exactly the other way about kaevee's voice acting, though the low quality mic was definitely noticeable. And yeah, genoharadan was a weak part, I agree.

There was already a book that did that, though.

The Exile dies and Revan get possessed or something. Or so I hear.

The awfulness is in the details.

Revan is kept alive by the Sith Emperor so that he can be used as a disposable raid boss for Sith players in TOR. Meanwhile, In the Revan novel, the Exile has the proverbial bridge dropped on her so hard Kreia probably felt it. If you can stomach reading it, the novel in question makes it pretty clear Drew Karpyshyn wasn't really paying much attention at all to anything that happened in KOTOR2, even before that game came apart at the seams near the end, and pretty obviously didn't want to think too hard about it.

Basically, you've got a Star Control situation: there has been a 'canon' sequel to KOTOR and KOTOR2, both in the book Revan and the game TOR, but that canon is pretty bad and in an ideal world would do well with being replaced with an Obsidian-made KOTOR3. It won't be, though, because TOR is ongoing and its canon stands.

In short, a KOTOR3 that continues the Revan-Exile storyline is a lost cause. Better to accept that and move on, I think.

How about they ignore the expanded universe canon for the horrible crap that it is.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

AVG *really* hates TSLRP. Dozens of alerts. I had to deactivate it to install. And it happily crashed swkotor2.exe because I was using it.

Also, I was thinking you were crazy, but in 1.0b10 (I really should actually run through that one in it's entirety, haven't done it yet) it does sound leaps better than the abhorrant mess it was in the leaked beta (1.0b08) on which I based my previous assumption.

For those interested... comparrison!

(and then, back on the topic :))

http://youtu.be/5SjsZzxzuKk

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^