Outlandish Weapon and Armour Ideas

A jutte (or jitte), might also be fun. It's like a sword-breaker but in club form:

jutte_iron.jpg

LadyCrimson mentioned a sword cane, which would be a great idea for missions where guards pat you down for weapons.

Batons. Whenever I see Kali I just think YES! (Kali is a martial art where the movements you learn for unarmed, dagger/knife and batons are the same.)

So I'd think it really cool if I could have a character that could fight with these weapons.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

A Flamberge would always be nice to see included. Especially if it's magically enchanted with fire.

A good old Orc-Double-Axe would be nice. There may or may not be Orcs, but that shouldn't stop Obsidian from bringing back everyone's favorite over-sized Orcish weapon.

doubleaxe.gif

3560915426_63efc1926f_o.jpg

And finally a JRPG sized No-Dachi made out of demon bones wielded by a zen-like Troll monk.

A Flamberge would always be nice to see included. Especially if it's magically enchanted with fire.

A good old Orc-Double-Axe would be nice. There may or may not be Orcs, but that shouldn't stop Obsidian from bringing back everyone's favorite over-sized Orcish weapon.

doubleaxe.gif

3560915426_63efc1926f_o.jpg

And finally a JRPG sized No-Dachi made out of demon bones wielded by a zen-like Troll monk.

Isnt that last pic of Klingon batlet blade :D

magic021.jpg

I'll give this one a tentative "yes", but the rest of it goes into the flushable file. It doesn't take all that much to blow the verisimiltude right out of the water and those others would definitely do just that.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I'll give this one a tentative "yes", but the rest of it goes into the flushable file. It doesn't take all that much to blow the verisimiltude right out of the water and those others would definitely do just that.

'Cause shooting fireballs is oh so realistic.

Isnt that last pic of Klingon batlet blade :D

Of course it is!

I think if Orcs are included or the Amumua are large and beastly it wouldn't be completely unrealistic for them to use large double-bladed weapons.

Kamas, I would love a good set of Kamas. Dual wielded by a speedy style character, dodge past the heavily armoured guys and tear a new one in the light armoured foes at the back.

Kusarigama.

6xbnk.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPSm_Sf3F94

You just found some kind of "random ludicrous RPG class/race/weapon" generator, didn't you? Trolls can't be Japanese, silly.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

Realism != verisimilitude. I find it perfectly easy to imagine a world where the laws of nature allow a powerful wizard to shoot fireballs. However, I find it difficult to imagine a world where an orc double axe would make an effective melee weapon for a humanoid creature. A dreamworld, maybe?

I would make an exception for Sauron type characters, where the appearance is merely an outward form of an inner power. By all means give them all the spiky pauldrons and outsize, impractical weapons you want. But yeah, call me conservative, but I would like weapons and armor usable by mere flesh-and-blood humanoids to look like something mere flesh-and-blood humanoids could effectively use in combat.

For me personally this isn't what I'd call a showstopper, more a niggle really. But I do have a preference for worlds that are internally consistent, even if the laws of nature are radically different from ours.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

You just found some kind of "random ludicrous RPG class/race/weapon" generator, didn't you? Trolls can't be Japanese, silly.

No, in my Fantasycraft game there's a Troll named Tok who is a martial artist going for the monk advanced class. He was once an enforcer in the Oni Empire but fled . He also uses a No-Dachi, but it isn't crafted from bone. I was channeling all of the shudder years of bad Anime I've seen.

Also can anyone pull an example of a double-bladed sword from history? If those can exist IRL so should they be able to exist in the game, which could lend support to the double-axe.

Edited by .Leif.

I asked about this earlier, and the weapons nerd consensus was that there ain't no such thing. Double-headed spears do exist. So do weapons where the shaft or pommel is designed to be usable as well, e.g. by weighting. But no double swords, axes, or the like IRL. Sorry.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Second, Klingon like blade, reminds me to much of ridculos Faeblades from Kingdoms of Amalur, I really love this game but still always when I saw them in battle I was, having and epileptic tree about how can you wield them double bladed blades, that you use in pairs.

But that brings rather interesting point of having some new weird orginal weapone that is related to culture, that's why I would actually like to see some variant of double bladed sword ( made somewhat more realistic.) that would be associeted with one culture or race, it will have some major flaws but would be used because of tradition rather then because they are really are supposed to be powerfull weapones.

Kamas, I would love a good set of Kamas. Dual wielded by a speedy style character, dodge past the heavily armoured guys and tear a new one in the light armoured foes at the back.

Kusarigama.

Thanks for the video! I've wondered for years how you wielded that. Great weapon, but seems limited in-doors or against multiple opponents (or many single opponents in a row). You need a lot of space for the chain and/or to remove the chain afterwards from around a dead body.

"I saw that argument was useless and said no more; there is no use arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus one."

-Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Pirates of Venus (1934)

No, in my Fantasycraft game there's a Troll named Tok who is a martial artist going for the monk advanced class. He was once an enforcer in the Oni Empire but fled . He also uses a No-Dachi, but it isn't crafted from bone. I was channeling all of the shudder years of bad Anime I've seen.

Well, here's the bad news: The only place you'll find any trolls in Japan is in media based on/about western fantasy and/or folklore. And just to sound even more like a nit-picking ass, there's no hyphen when romanizing nodachi (which isn't a proper noun once romanized, it would be if it was a named sword, as in Sasaki Kojiro's famed "Clothes-Drying Pole," but naming a nodachi 'nodachi' would be like naming a longsword 'longsword'.)

On the plus side (in that it has relevance to the thread,) the nodachi was a silly and ineffective weapon that was more of a status symbol than viable weapon. The more popular/practical/effective choice would be a polearm like a naginata (essentially the Japanese equivalent to a glaive,) or nagamaki (an odd hybrid of polearm and sword, it's an extra long sword with an extra long hilt, usually a 50/50 split.)

Kusarigama.

Thanks for the video! I've wondered for years how you wielded that. Great weapon, but seems limited in-doors or against multiple opponents (or many single opponents in a row). You need a lot of space for the chain and/or to remove the chain afterwards from around a dead body.

You wouldn't plod into the local sword school and challenge the master to a duel indoors if it were your weapon of choice, no. The weapon's ultimate origin is, not surprisingly, in the hands of peasant farmers, and you certainly wouldn't have seen it on true battlefields. When the Tokugawa Shogunate began, war effectively ended in Japan for three centuries, so Samurai were limited to fighting duels.

ALSO, at IchigoRXC, since editing time for my original response is up, it's just kama. Nouns in Japanese are both singular and plural. You can have one kama, two kama, a hundred kama, etc. Whether or not it's plural is determined by context.

Edited by AGX-17

Second, Klingon like blade, reminds me to much of ridculos Faeblades from Kingdoms of Amalur, I really love that game but still always when I saw them in battle I was, having and epileptic tree about how can you wield them double bladed blades, that you use in pairs.

But that brings rather interesting point of having some new weird orginal weapone that is related to culture, that's why I would actually like to see some variant of double bladed sword ( made somewhat more realistic.) that would be associeted with one culture or race, it will have some major flaws but would be used because of tradition rather then because they are really are supposed to be powerfull weapones.

Damn, Double post sorry.

Edited by Cryticus

I find it perfectly easy to imagine a world where the laws of nature allow a powerful wizard to shoot fireballs. However, I find it difficult to imagine a world where an orc double axe would make an effective melee weapon for a humanoid creature. A dreamworld, maybe?

Double bladed weapons are as common a fantasy trope as magic. Generally they're depicted as hard to use, but as long as the wielder is badass enough (Jedi, for instance) they will have the peripheral awareness to pull it off. Wouldn't really work in the real world sure, but then again we don't really have a lot of wizards that can master the use of fireballs either.

Besides no one ever dual wielded flails either, but nobody's is complaining about that being in the game (well, no one except the weapons nerds).

I asked about this earlier, and the weapons nerd consensus was that there ain't no such thing. Double-headed spears do exist. So do weapons where the shaft or pommel is designed to be usable as well, e.g. by weighting. But no double swords, axes, or the like IRL. Sorry.

While the physics nerds are going to tell you that fireballs don't work because the expanding air (due to heat) would blow out all the walls of an enclosed room. Also how about the economist nerds telling us that no merchant in their right mind would keep buying hundreds of longswords from dead bandits for the same price from you. Having experts instead of designers designing **** is a recipe for disaster.

Also

Realism != verisimilitude.

Lemme just double check my sources, oh look.

Verisimilitude - Synonyms: literalism, naturalism, realism, representationalism, verismo

Meh, whatevz. It's a matter of taste I guess. Personally I find outlandish weapons and armor more jarring than magic, esp. if there's an internally consistent fantasy "physics" underlying the magic. I like things to make sense. Internal consistency and all that. Of course in something as contrived as a cRPG, it's better not to think too hard since you'll certainly run into something absurd soon enough.

• Like 1

Just because a weapon exists doesn't mean anyone in their right mind would use it. A Dagger Gun? Good luck with that. I would rather just carry a plain old gun and a plain old dagger and alternate as needed.

The only weird unorthodox thing I would sort of like to see is swords like the one the character Arik used in the movie Willow. It had the guard that covered the entire forearm and was used more for chopping and stabbing instead of more traditional slashes and such due to the unorthodox handle. It is pure fantasy and a traditional sword is likely better, but I could see how it would actually be viable and not be totally off the wall. Basically like a really really big Katar.

What I don't want to see is all these eastern and asian weapons. It was one thing to loot a katana off some dude clearly from Kara Tur in BG2, it was quite another to walk into Winthrop's Inn for modded BG1 and see him selling a katana under the counter. The game doesn't take place in asia, is not based in an asian culture, it doesn't need asian weapons.

Edited by Karkarov

Meh, whatevz. It's a matter of taste I guess. Personally I find outlandish weapons and armor more jarring than magic, esp. if there's an internally consistent fantasy "physics" underlying the magic. I like things to make sense. Internal consistency and all that. Of course in something as contrived as a cRPG, it's better not to think too hard since you'll certainly run into something absurd soon enough.

There's no such thing as internally consistent fantasy physics though; you can't have a campfire that warms you and fireballs that burn **** in the same world. You might be able to excuse that (which is fine, I certainly can), but that doesn't mean it's somehow a more "acceptable" break from reality than a weapon that's impossible to use without superhuman reflexes.

The klingon weapon would snag on everything and the asinine double-axe might be a decent stand-in for a pendulum for Mr. Poe, but its cutting edges are oriented incorrectly and it would weigh far too much to be at all maneuverable. Fireballs and lightning bolts are fine and good, but silly "kewl" weapons for the kiddywinks need to go.

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

Hur, our real-world physics aren't entirely internally consistent either. The Theory of Everything is yet waiting to be found, Higgs boson notwithstanding.

Your statement is pretty intriguing, though. I think I can think of pretty consistent systems of fantasy physics that would permit both mundane campfires (chemical combustion) and fireballs (magical fire). I'd just have to posit some source of magical energy and then make up rules that describe how that source behaves and what magicians can do with it.

What fundamental problems do you see with doing this?

The klingon weapon would snag on everything and the asinine double-axe might be a decent stand-in for a pendulum for Mr. Poe, but its cutting edges are oriented incorrectly and it would weigh far too much to be at all maneuverable. Fireballs and lightning bolts are fine and good, but silly "kewl" weapons for the kiddywinks need to go.

So as long as the user was aware enough to not snag on everything and the double axe had the edges oriented differently (in addition to being made of some fantastical lightweight metal) everything would be good?

Also why are fireballs fine and good but hard to use weapons aren't? Because YOUR suspension of disbelief isn't broken? My bad, I did not realize you were the authority on which laws of physics are allowed to be broken.

Hur, our real-world physics aren't entirely internally consistent either. The Theory of Everything is yet waiting to be found, Higgs boson notwithstanding.

Your statement is pretty intriguing, though. I think I can think of pretty consistent systems of fantasy physics that would permit both mundane campfires (chemical combustion) and fireballs (magical fire). I'd just have to posit some source of magical energy and then make up rules that describe how that source behaves and what magicians can do with it.

What fundamental problems do you see with doing this?

If the magical fire is able to combust things like flesh, clothes, trees, etc. then it is capable of transferring heat through matter which would mean it would excite air molecules and thus lead to enclosed spaces exploding from the pressure. You would basically have to rewrite how gaseous vs liquid vs solid matter is affected by various forms of energy to explain that away.

Edited by Dream

Oh, OK, you meant no indoor fireballs without associated shockwave effects etc.? Yeah, that does make sense. It would certainly take a good deal more convoluted fantasy physics to account for that. I can think of ways, but they would have to be pretty far-fetched.

(What ways, I hear you asking? Well, for example, the fireball could be produced by momentarily exchanging atmospheres with the elemental plane of fire. Once the near-instantaneous spell effect is over, the fire goes back to where it came from, and the air it displaced comes back, only marginally heated. You'd get a gust of hot wind but not an explosion strong enough to blow out windows or doors. Yeah, convoluted.)

• Like 1

Oh, OK, you meant no indoor fireballs without associated shockwave effects etc.? Yeah, that does make sense. It would certainly take a good deal more convoluted fantasy physics to account for that. I can think of ways, but they would have to be pretty far-fetched.

(What ways, I hear you asking? Well, for example, the fireball could be produced by momentarily exchanging atmospheres with the elemental plane of fire. Once the near-instantaneous spell effect is over, the fire goes back to where it came from, and the air it displaced comes back, only marginally heated. You'd get a gust of hot wind but not an explosion strong enough to blow out windows or doors. Yeah, convoluted.)

Wouldn't that instantly vaporize the insides of every single person in the area of effect (not to mention make their blood boil and blast out of every orifice)? At the very least everyone affected would require a new set of lungs.

Although, I suppose, that could be the effect one's going for. :devil:

• Like 1

So as long as the user was aware enough to not snag on everything and the double axe had the edges oriented differently (in addition to being made of some fantastical lightweight metal) everything would be good?

Nope. If the weapon in question isn't one that I'd want to take on to a field of battle because of its poor design, then it shouldn't be in the game. Double axes/swords are just plain asinine, especially the axes. And all the curved points on the klingon weapon would invariably snag on armor and then you'd be vulnerable to attack while you're trying to free your weapon. Leave the silly stuff for the 8 year-old crowd.

Oh, I can suspend my disbelief in "magic" because it's not real to begin with, but melee weapons I do hold to a higher standard because preposterous ones violate the level of verisimilitude I'm hoping for. P.E. should be a game for university or post-university adults, not elementary school children.