Outlandish Weapon and Armour Ideas

^ Ahhh, the weighted chain. In one D&D campaign, I noticed that one of the the effects for weapon enchantments was essentially Charm, and the default suffix to the item name was "of Command." Our DM mistakenly rolled for a range of items and effects, then allowed me to choose from this pool for my character's reward for something.

What resulted was the Chain of Command.

Yes, I have a pun-smithing problem. The first step is acknowledging that I have a problem. -_-

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I've always wanted a character who is a master of improvisation with any inanimate object. Bam! Watch him slay a horde armed with a chair. Pow! Now he's using a skillet as a weapon of mass destruction! Zap! Who would have thought you could pwn a red dragon with a cushion?

sonsofgygax.JPG

S5780.jpg

huh...a good weapon when dealing with the annoying hair, eh, I mean heads.....

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

^^^^

You'd think that weapon would have some stress weaknesses along each of those toothy gaps. They must make it an extra thick blade to avoid fracturing; plus it would need to be hardened and inflexible.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I love sword canes as much as the next guy, but they sound a bit too top-hat-and-monocle for this period, methinks.

Well, you have to figure the people of Preternia (my own personal code-name for the game world) have SOME kind of hat-fashion for the social elite. And canes would be a common tool for simultaneously aiding in traversing uneven surfaces (which would probably be much more prevalent at the time) AND demonstrating the extent of your wealth via the fact that you use a walking aid made out of ultra-rare pegasus hooves all willy nilly... Also, you could have TWO monocles... a stereocle, if you will. 8)

Really, though, I could see some kind of high-society event infiltration (EVENTFILTRATION) being a refreshing break from the typical "we're always adventuring around with all our awesome adventuring gear, and thus have no need for a cane to conceal a blade" routine of RPGs. It's kinda like the "get captured and figure out how to escape without the use of your trusty equipment" scenarios of a lot of RPGs. It would most likely be a very story-centric, temporary piece of the game.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

To get the ball rolling I'd like to see a sword breaker in use,...

I'm not sure they'd want to have to create an animation for each type of blade being broken, but it might be just about as useful to have it disarm your opponent. I'm all in favor of that option being offered as I like spetums and ranseurs for the same reason.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I'm not sure they'd want to have to create an animation for each type of blade being broken, but it might be just about as useful to have it disarm your opponent. I'm all in favor of that option being offered as I like spetums and ranseurs for the same reason.

I always thought sword "breaker" was referring to "breaking" one's offensive effectiveness with a sword, or "breaking" a sword attack/stroke. I mean, I'm well aware that blades can be broken. I just didn't think a sword breaker was designed to actually break swords themselves. Now I'm quite curious, haha.

My understanding is that as the arming sword transitioned into the rapier, a beefy sword breaking dagger might from time to time actually break a sword if the temper of the sword didn't allow it to flex 5-6" and return true. Some swords were seriously sharp, but brittle because of improper materials or forging techniques. Regardless, disarming is something I hope makes it into the game.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

So I didn't think what I was suggesting here really fell under the purview of the Armour and weapon designs - a plea threads, but if it does a moderator can feel free to lock it.

What I'm asking here is what outlandish weapons and armour would you like to be in the game, or you think would be interesting? I think we all know this game is medieval inspired, but as it is a fantasy game (and with some societies more closely adhering to a Bronze Age level of technology) what kind of weird and wonderful things would you like to see that are either unusual, culturally disimilar from western medieval Europe or just not contemporary to the time period at all.

As a disclaimer I thought I'd say this is just a thread for bouncing around ideas, I'm not advocating that any of these things should actually be in the game to avoid the whole "well I don't think anything like this should be in the game as I think it is too resource intensive" train of thought.

To get the ball rolling I'd like to see a sword breaker in use, particularly for a duelist style rogue:

IronSwordBreakerTool.png

I think it would be very cool, especially with some sort of trapping and disarming manoveur. It would give such a fighting style and extra layer of subtlety.

Secondly I think the net and trident combo would be interesting, a la a Retairius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retiarius). I know this is a bit more gladitorial and outdated to the medieval setting, but it would be nice seeing a combination of weapons designed to work in harmony like this.

retiarius.jpg

A serrated knife isn't outlandish. And if a trident and net are good enough for Meera Reed, they're good enough for me.

The existing weapon and armor discussion has revolved almost entirely around the fact that people don't want WoW-style weapons and armor (which is what I thought as soon as I saw your thread title.)

At any rate, the game's setting is likened to the transition from the high middle ages to the renaissance. So there's not really room for outdated ideas like Roman gladiators (who were not soldiers and they were equipped and trained for fights meant to entertain, not to win wars. If you put Roman soldiers up against gladiators the gladiators would be el-****ed.)

Edited by AGX-17

^ Interesting. I wasn't trying to be difficult with semantics or anything, I just really didn't know for sure. I figure it's entirely possible, with a sword-breaker, in certain circumstances. But, I figure usually the opponent's grip is going to be weaker than the temper of their weapon's blade. The leverage force applied to the blade seems like it would always be more powerful than the force holding the hilt-end in place. *shrug*. Just a mildly-educated guess, really.

As other people have suggested, I thought a sword breaker would be an interesting way of disarming people rather than actually breaking weapons. The wikipedia page - which is of course the font of all knowledge - says that they probably weren't very useful in most cases to break a weapon.

Still, if weapon and armour condition is in combat an animation where they break might be interesting - although again resource intensive.

The existing weapon and armor discussion has revolved almost entirely around the fact that people don't want WoW-style weapons and armor (which is what I thought as soon as I saw your thread title.)

Having never have played WoW I don't really know the style, but I don't think anyone wants ridiculous armour and weapon design.

Having never have played WoW I don't really know the style, but I don't think anyone wants ridiculous armour and weapon design.

Sadly, you're mistaken about that. Dig through some of the "Armor and weapons suggestions" threads, and you'll find some lamentably deluded people arguing in favor of moar spiky bits for the sake of looking badass.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Sadly, you're mistaken about that. Dig through some of the "Armor and weapons suggestions" threads, and you'll find some lamentably deluded people arguing in favor of moar spiky bits for the sake of looking badass.

PrimeJunta what's your beef?!?!!? Everyone knows a Warrior is only as badass as the size of his horns! If his helmet has no big bad ass horns he may as well just go to the kitchen and make everyone some muffins like all the other suzie homemakers!

(if anyone doesn't get it I am joking ;p. Though I probably said that word for word while playing WoW more than once.)

PrimeJunta what's your beef?!?!!? Everyone knows a Warrior is only as badass as the size of his horns! If his helmet has no big bad ass horns he may as well just go to the kitchen and make everyone some muffins like all the other suzie homemakers!

(if anyone doesn't get it I am joking ;p. Though I probably said that word for word while playing WoW more than once.)

Oh don't be preposterous! You don't need massive horns and spikes to be a badass! For example, a Rogue who uses poisons could have extraordinarily vibrantly-colored equipment, to denote his poisonous nature... like a tree frog, u_u.

• Like 1

Oh don't be preposterous! You don't need massive horns and spikes to be a badass! For example, a Rogue who uses poisons could have extraordinarily vibrantly-colored equipment, to denote his poisonous nature... like a tree frog, u_u.

And he could have feathers so everyone knows he likes bows and dark glasses with colored frames so that everyone knows his eyes are used to the dark.

Liberace confirmed for lv30 Rogue.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Kamas, I would love a good set of Kamas. Dual wielded by a speedy style character, dodge past the heavily armoured guys and tear a new one in the light armoured foes at the back.

Edit: Oh and Hook swords, I love me some hook swords. Deadly with a little added utility. And Kukri's, just for the style. Hrmm... maybe they aren't actually that outlandish, but I love how people get butthurt over "those are not medieval weapons" so here they are regardless. :)

Edited by IchigoRXC

Legendary Weapons Made By You - A post about weapon customisation and creating your own legendary items

Magic Spell Customisation - A post about adapting spells to fit your style, making news ones from old

$4million+ raised, I think our jobs here are done.