Outlandish Weapon and Armour Ideas

So I didn't think what I was suggesting here really fell under the purview of the Armour and weapon designs - a plea threads, but if it does a moderator can feel free to lock it.

What I'm asking here is what outlandish weapons and armour would you like to be in the game, or you think would be interesting? I think we all know this game is medieval inspired, but as it is a fantasy game (and with some societies more closely adhering to a Bronze Age level of technology) what kind of weird and wonderful things would you like to see that are either unusual, culturally disimilar from western medieval Europe or just not contemporary to the time period at all.

As a disclaimer I thought I'd say this is just a thread for bouncing around ideas, I'm not advocating that any of these things should actually be in the game to avoid the whole "well I don't think anything like this should be in the game as I think it is too resource intensive" train of thought.

To get the ball rolling I'd like to see a sword breaker in use, particularly for a duelist style rogue:

IronSwordBreakerTool.png

I think it would be very cool, especially with some sort of trapping and disarming manoveur. It would give such a fighting style and extra layer of subtlety.

Secondly I think the net and trident combo would be interesting, a la a Retairius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retiarius). I know this is a bit more gladitorial and outdated to the medieval setting, but it would be nice seeing a combination of weapons designed to work in harmony like this.

retiarius.jpg

• Like 1

I think the gun-sword thing falls into this category (it's been posted in several other threads). Not really this picture but it was cool:

gun_sword_by_pest3r.jpg

Some sort of Emblem/Talisman (like in Kingdoms of Amalur) would be cool as well. Kind of sad that it was so weak. It's a "shield" thing:

reckoning_DLC_packs_sorcery.png?cb=1333996311

------------------------------^-------------------------

Another pic:

377_large.jpg

Kind of "Magical Weapons" thread, whilst the "Armor & Weapons Plea" thread could be seen as "Realistic Weapons" thread maybe?

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

I think the gun-sword thing falls into this category (it's been posted in several other threads). Not really this picture but it was cool:

Was it this baby?

pistol-sword1.JPG

And the katana/Tanegashima, a gun with a sword that can be drawn out of it for melee combat:

zDH001.jpg

• Like 2

Secondly I think the net and trident combo would be interesting, a la a Retairius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retiarius). I know this is a bit more gladitorial and outdated to the medieval setting, but it would be nice seeing a combination of weapons designed to work in harmony like this.

I'm not sure how you'd work a net into this type of game. You'd need to have grappling in place first. Perhaps the net can be simulated as a type of disarming buckler?

Hybrid weapons are almost always less effective than the respective individual weapons. Realistically, they should be penalized as such.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hybrid weapons are almost always less effective than the respective individual weapons. Realistically, they should be penalized as such.

I wouldn't call poleaxes ineffective, and they're spear/axe/hammer hybrids.

But they both have similar usage/technique with only changing the damage type from thrust and blunt into a mix of both. Guns and swords have a bigger gap.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If the higher levels of Cipher have telekinetic powers, that their minds/souls can intrude on reality, then i'd be quite interested to see whether they can use that telekinesis as weapons to cut flesh, snap bones or use objects against their foes.

I'd be interested to see an alternate means of bare knuckle fighting for the monk, so that he's distinguished from kung fu flicks. Something like the ancient greek Pankration, but with the soul stuff added.

I also wouldn't mind seeing if priests have spiritual weapons, hammers of their deity.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If the higher levels of Cipher have telekinetic powers, that their minds/souls can intrude on reality, then i'd be quite interested to see whether they can use that telekinesis as weapons to cut flesh, snap bones or use objects against their foes.

Pfftch... clogging arteries sound a lot more energy-efficient. If I had telekinesis, that's what I'd be going for :D

• Like 3

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

But they both have similar usage/technique with only changing the damage type from thrust and blunt into a mix of both. Guns and swords have a bigger gap.

Yeah, but he made a general statement. I was just indicating that you can't blanket dismiss all combined weapons.

I have no idea how effective Late Medieval combination firearms were, but it'd be interesting to see. They were never adopted on a large scale, but that's true of a lot of weapons which we see being tactically useful to certain fighters (I'm mainly thinking of the sharpshooter's rifle here) due to cost or other concerns. And it's intriguing how many different models and combinations there were, and how much effort went into them. A wheellock firearm itself was expensive - I shudder to think how much would be spent on combining it with a melee weapon or shield.

In the end, the bayonet ended up combining the thrusting pike with the musket - quite successfully too! So there's a combi-weapon we know ended up being effective on a mass scale. ;)

I always liked the tessen (iron fan)...ones that are still covered in paper and look more like fans (not weird exposed, metal, pointy-tipped, fantasy super tessens). Or weapons/poisons hidden in hair decorations. Or the knife in a cane. That sort of stuff.

Not that such would likely be good for a cRPG, unless maybe it was some special sneak-only use weapon. I just like hidden purpose/assassin type weapons I guess. :biggrin:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How useful would they be in a massed phalanx formation? That extra mass on the head makes them more difficult to hold at length for long periods.

How useful would they be in a massed phalanx formation? That extra mass on the head makes them more difficult to hold at length for long periods.

They weren't for phalanxes. They were anti-infantry and anti-cavalry weapons used by men-at-arms and knights, and were also included in pike formations to add versatility and an edge in the event of a push-of-pike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDCMhyOLAc

Given how easy returning throwing weapons *appeared* to be implemented in the IE games, any chance of bolas or boomerangs as exotic missile weapons?

I always wanted to kill someone with my bolas, if you know what I mean.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

They weren't for phalanxes. They were anti-infantry and anti-cavalry weapons used by men-at-arms and knights, and were also included in pike formations to add versatility and an edge in the event of a push-of-pike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDCMhyOLAc

Nope, that's not it. My point was that there are always trade-offs when constructing a hybrid tool. It is always less optimal than the original devices when employed in the specific tasks for which the original devices were intended. In this case, the benefit of the poleaxe would be its versatility. It's second best compared to the combat tasks for which the spear, hammer, or axe are optimal. But it is better when used in combat tasks for which the spear, hammer, or axe are not designed. You probably wouldn't want to be using a pole-type hammer in a phalanx, for example. The pole-axe has a higher weight and greater moment of inertia than a comparable spear, axe, or hammer weapon, making it more difficult to wield.

Edited by rjshae

You probably wouldn't want to be using a pole-type hammer in a phalanx, for example.

Well, the phalanx was an Ancient spear formation, while poleaxes were used in the Late Medieval period. But they were used in pike formations - if two of them locked heads in a "push-of-pike", and the poleaxe's increased versatility could turn the fight one way or another for the side which had more of them. Two handed swords on the flanks were often used for the same purpose, giving your formation an advantage in a "push-of-pike", IIRC.

Given the touched-upon utility of firearms in the piercing of mages' (and maybe other classes') magical/supernatural barriers at close range, I could see some manner of blade/gun combo weapon as something that creative people in Eternia (totally don't know what the world's gonna be called) would try their hand at inventing. Not necessarily something that would be accurate at a range farther than about 7 feet, but just enough "gun" worked into a bladed weapon to provide a means of piercing said shields in a pinch. *shruggles*

Oh, and I condone the strategic implementation of sword-breakers. ^_^

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u