Illusion Magic & Mog Dance

I explain that it isn't the "Dance" I am curious/interested about but the changing of the environmental aspects. The Spell Effect.

But you're not talking about illusion magic at all, then, you're talking about the Geomancer (or Feng Shui Knight, for an accurate translation, Feng Shui falling under the Western category of Geomancy anyway,) class/Geomancy ability like in FFT. The character you're talking about filled the role of Geomancer in FF6 which had no class system.

Which wasn't illusion magic. At all. The idea of Feng Shui is sorcery based on spatial positioning/orientation, whose power is derived from the four cardinal directions and the center, these each being associated with an element in Chinese and derivative civilizations (Japan, Korea.) http://en.wikipedia....e_constellation In this case the five Japanese elements being relevant: http://en.wikipedia....ese_philosophy) .

I think you are over analyzing what he is saying. All Osvir wants is to see illusion spells that can make the world look different from what it actually is. IE: A killing illusion that kills by making the opponent think they have been trapped in a deep pool of acid. Even though it is all in their head there can be an "effect" that makes it look like the dude has fallen in a river of acid. The problem with illusions for the most part is just that though, unless the player themselves is under the effect of the illusion you technically should not be able to "see" it since it literally isn't real and is purely in the mind of the afflicted.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

I explain that it isn't the "Dance" I am curious/interested about but the changing of the environmental aspects. The Spell Effect.

But you're not talking about illusion magic at all, then, you're talking about the Geomancer (or Feng Shui Knight, for an accurate translation, Feng Shui falling under the Western category of Geomancy anyway,) class/Geomancy ability like in FFT. The character you're talking about filled the role of Geomancer in FF6 which had no class system.

Which wasn't illusion magic. At all. The idea of Feng Shui is sorcery based on spatial positioning/orientation, whose power is derived from the four cardinal directions and the center, these each being associated with an element in Chinese and derivative civilizations (Japan, Korea.) http://en.wikipedia....e_constellation In this case the five Japanese elements being relevant: http://en.wikipedia....ese_philosophy) .

I think you are over analyzing what he is saying. All Osvir wants is to see illusion spells that can make the world look different from what it actually is. IE: A killing illusion that kills by making the opponent think they have been trapped in a deep pool of acid. Even though it is all in their head there can be an "effect" that makes it look like the dude has fallen in a river of acid. The problem with illusions for the most part is just that though, unless the player themselves is under the effect of the illusion you technically should not be able to "see" it since it literally isn't real and is purely in the mind of the afflicted.

So in a nutshell, he wants a Hallucinatory Terrain that can damage you.

• Like 1

Not analyzing, correcting. I'm just correcting his misconception, which was the starting basis of his idea. I don't see how that's not a valid point to make. If he doesn't want to be corrected he shouldn't use incorrect interpretations as the basis for his ideas.

Edited by AGX-17

You're nitpicking my flow of text and how I write and present ideas, not the actual idea or what I present.

You're not correcting anything, you're just taking stuff out of context and then correcting the context you've created inside your own vacuum. That would be a cool illusion spell, to stay on topic.

Unless it's the kind of illusions where the magic user directly manipulates light.

Is that possible? Can you mess with the Light sources in the game somehow with abilities?

Edited by Osvir

[...]

Unless it's the kind of illusions where the magic user directly manipulates light.

Is that possible? Can you mess with the Light sources in the game somehow with abilities?

He's not talking about light sources. What he means is that some kinds of illusions create a visible illusion instead of one that's a figment of someone's imagination. Creating a rainbow would be considered an illusion that manipulated light, for example.

@Somna: Yep sorry I understood what he said but just phrased it wrong. Like his idea and just taking it a spin further (i.e. interaction with the environment).

I'm wondering if it could be possible to mess with light sources in the game. Will some fireflies have light sources in the game during night? Can you mess with that? Perhaps some eerie magical glow in a forest has its own purplish light source. Can you mess with that?

A hallcuniory terrain where the damage comes from the real terrain hazards being invisible to those affected seems much cooler.

Like you walk on a stairs unaware that the building you're in is decrepit and has been for ages, you fall through a hole in the staircase to your death, because you saw the building as it used to be not as it is.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.