Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Josh Sawyer: Balance and Utility

balance utility sawyer formspring

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Amberion

Amberion

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 92 posts
At the core of it all, this isn't an MMO. It is possible to have a character that does less damage and still be a viable and productive member of the party, buffing other character's damage and proving their worth in that way. It's not like the player is stuck playing that character, and that character alone, for the entirety of their non-MMO career.

Sure, you could play a party of 6 warriors, and supposedly be able to finish the game(with difficulty, I assume). This is just as valid a playstyle as a mixed group of classes designed to complement each others' strengths and weaknesses. There's nothing inherently wrong with either choice. It's up to the player to decide what they want to do.

I see so many people who obviously come from MMO backgrounds bringing these arguments that are rehashed from wherever they came from(my particular class is underpowered in WoW, so nerf mages!) They don't really apply in a single player, squad based tactical RPG. In essence, all 6 characters in the squad are your character, and should be treated as a unit, and not as a group of disparate individuals who look at each other jealously, wondering if they're number one on the DPS list.
  • Monte Carlo, wanderon, Apatia and 5 others like this

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
My experience is mixed MMORPG and normal western RPG's. JRPG's I don't care for so much.
I don't care about combat much in games. for me role playing games is about the role playing. That said. I do understand that you want to make every class have something to contribute. I don't think doing that for combat is a bad idea.

I do think it's a bad idea if you have to wring yourself through some weird shaped spaces in order to achieve that. I'm ok with some characters being less effective in combat.
But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to do anything interesting or useful. If my rogue can do something interesting in combat, I think that will only add to my enjoyment of the character.

Edited by JFSOCC, 16 December 2012 - 03:21 PM.

• Wirdjos and Amberion like this

Gyges

Gyges

Pit Dweller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Dark Souls... That is all.

Game_Exile

Game_Exile

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts
Nice video and Q&A. It's good to see the lead designer talking about the importance of balance, i.e. making sure the strategic part of the game is interesting and challenging.

Q: Oh, I don't doubt that. But of course that leads to the question of whether this great freedom and flexibility in character development will inevitably lead to poorly balanced combat encounters and other content. The most important type of balance.
Inevitably? Come on.

I don't want to see too many "options" (the ones you pick from a character sheet) in a CRPG like P:E, if it means that:
1) the most significant strategic choices a player makes are independent from the "action" in the story and setting,
and
2) the number of options make it too difficult to ensure a good challenge for the player.

On point 2, obviously every "option" you give the player can damage the balance of the game. I'd hate to see the devs throw together a bunch of "options" and "challenges" without being very clear on how all these things will affect with each other (especially in combat). Since combat will be the central part of the game's strategic challenges, character customization options should be closely linked to the specific ways difficulty will scale in the game's combat encounters.

Edited by Game_Exile, 17 December 2012 - 03:53 PM.

Adhin

Adhin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:AdhinJT
  • Kickstarter Backer
Said it one to many times before, I'll say it again, gods only know if it'll be the last but... Third Edition DnD already did this. It works great, people love it, its freakin' fantastic. If they do it right it'll be great in PE as well.

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts
wat.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: balance, utility, sawyer, formspring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users