Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Let's talk about the economy.

economy economics project eternity RPG businesses

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

jethro

jethro

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

But if you can't buy or otherwise accrue most of the things a typical party is going to want / need by games end then the whole process of loot becomes equally worthless doesn't it?

Since you accrue a lot of stuff through questing/looting the typical party has all the stuff it needs. And for the price of the best item you can buy 5 items that are just a tiny bit worse.

Why do you declare bancruptcy because you only can afford to either A) substitute your sword of uber 6d8 +1d6 cold with a sword of uber 6d8 +1d8 cold or B) your ring of almeighty with a ring of almeighty +1HP ?

And if the loot is there and the packrat player grabs every last bit set out for him shouldn't he be able to benefit at a higher level from it than the player that left the bulk of it on the ground?

Many players explore every corner of the game world without being packrats. Frankly I don't care what a packrat can buy by games end. I assume the game will be balanced for normal players who may explore from 33%(?) up to 100% of the game world and those players should not be buried in gold. They should still like to open a gold treasure chest because the gold has value for them. And as soon as they can't buy anything anymore because they bought everything worth buying that feeling is gone. At that moment gold becomes worthless.

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Many players explore every corner of the game world without being packrats. Frankly I don't care what a packrat can buy by games end. I assume the game will be balanced for normal players who may explore from 33%(?) up to 100% of the game world and those players should not be buried in gold. They should still like to open a gold treasure chest because the gold has value for them. And as soon as they can't buy anything anymore because they bought everything worth buying that feeling is gone. At that moment gold becomes worthless.

isn't that the point of this thread though?
How do you make sure that players can feel rich without it feeling hollow? I think the answer lies in gold-sinks, recurring costs (maintaining your stronghold staff, for instance) different kinds of currency, with different kind of uses. (gold for gear, gems for magic power, tokens for favours. favours for political power, something along those lines.)

Atreides

Atreides

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Maybe someone steals your fortune and you can try to get it back.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3843 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Maybe someone steals your fortune and you can try to get it back.

Occupy Dwarf Street?
  • .Leif. and Sacred_Path like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: economy, economics, project eternity, RPG, businesses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users