Boxed edition (I feel like an idiot now)

To make this simple, have I really lost my chance at getting the boxed version of this game?

I thought they'd leave that option up, guess I was completely wrong =X. I wanted to see more of the game before I actually pledged... After being so disappointed this year (A game called devil in spanish... not to mention any names!) . But after playing PS:T and IWD again... I kind of feel like an idiot =(. I was going to wait for a while, to see some of the content itself, also save some money for it. Blast! Will there be no more chances at buying a boxed copy? (aside from the Ebay pillaging that will occur no doubt in the future.)

• Like 1

of course you can buy a boxed copy in the future but expect to be at a a higher price

I hope that they will not make any more Collector's Editions at launch, to preserve their value.

Blizzard took a huge dump on their Collector's Editions by making them trivial, pouring unlimited quantities and only for the Holly Buck

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

To make this simple, have I really lost my chance at getting the boxed version of this game?

I'm fairly certain that the game will be relased in retail as well.

Though it would be awesome if the collector's editions remained kickstarter-only.

• Like 2

Elan_song.gif

I'm fairly certain that the game will be relased in retail as well.

What's the basis for your certainty? I'm fairly certain it won't be. It's not worth the effort to deal with retailers for a niche game such as this, unless it turns out to be a breakout hit with multi-millions of copies sold.

Edited by Infinitron

I very much doubt we'll see Prject Eternity physical copies being sold at retail. Will Obsidian distribute it themselves? How about manufacturing costs? Marketing at stores? Would the game sell well at retail? If so, at what price point would one expect the game to sell well? I know there are a lot of people interested in Project Eternity, but I'm not sure if the average gamer would enter a store and then go crazy about it. There's a reason why Obsidian had to go to kickstarter. These games aren't selling like they useed to. Publishers aren't interested, and without the money of a big publisher, the developing studio has to cover those costs I have mentioned.

What's the basis for your certainty? I'm fairly certain it won't be. It's not worth the effort to deal with retailers for a niche game such as this, unless it turns out to be a breakout hit with multi-millions of copies sold.

The game is funded, they don't need to recoup any costs, any copy sold is pure profit, so why abandon a still valid avenue of reaching customers? Games that are far more niche and expect to sell far more copies still sell retail.

They're making the boxes anyway, it's always cheaper to make them in bulk.

And I doubt it would be hard to find a publisher, given that it's the most funded game on KS, and therefore a fair amount of free publicity on it already exists.

I'd wager much that you'd still be able to get a boxed version in retail when the game is released, though I don't see a good reason why Obsidian is not also offering a boxed 'Slacker Backer' option on top of their digital download one. If there's a gaming crowd likely to want hard copies over digital ones we're likely it, and looking at the pledges there seems to be proof that hard copies are preferred. I know if I just stumbled upon PE for the first time and wanted to back it I wouldn't do the current 'Slacker Backer' as it's digital download only. I'd wait until release and get a hard copy.

I wouldn't be opposed at all though if those who have pledged something and later wanted to 'upgrade' their pledge could do so. I myself on further thought would like to upgrade to the collector's edition and get in on the beta.

To those who think the game won't be available in retail. While I don't work for Obsidian and couldn't say with 100% certainty due to that, I think they'd be very unwise to not make PE available via retail when the time comes for release, and would be very surprised as well as quite disappointed if the game wasn't released retail.

Edited by Valsuelm

I wouldn't be overly surprised -given the interest in the game- if there is going to be at least a limited retail version release of PE at launch. They probably wouldn't go all out retail but maybe Amazon. com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de and their own web store or something like that for retail orders.

True, they'd need a means of distribution, but that doesn't mean they'd automatically have to distribute the game just like all other games are distributed (to all the retail stores and such.) There are plenty of online stores nowadays that sell and ship physical items. And if all they're selling is P:E (and maybe P:E-themed merchandise?), it wouldn't be that extensive. It's not a preposterous notion, is all.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The game is funded, they don't need to recoup any costs, any copy sold is pure profit, so why abandon a still valid avenue of reaching customers? Games that are far more niche and expect to sell far more copies still sell retail.

They're making the boxes anyway, it's always cheaper to make them in bulk.

And I doubt it would be hard to find a publisher, given that it's the most funded game on KS, and therefore a fair amount of free publicity on it already exists.

I wouldn't be so sure about this game ever reaching store shelves. First they would need find someone to distribute the game in physical format and even then they would need to find stores that actually want to stock a niche market product like this. Not saying it isn't possible, but it most definitely isn't anywhere near certain. Edited by Jotra

I wouldn't be so sure about this game ever reaching store shelves. First they would need find someone to distribute the game in physical format and even then they would need to find stores that actually want to stock a niche market product like this. Not saying it isn't possible, but it most definitely isn't anywhere near certain.

I think you and some others here are seriously overestimating the 'niche' of PE. PE has quite a bit more than your average game potential to be a blockbuster game. Certainly it has the potential to be as popular as any of the major IPs of the genre out there now. A genre that's had a relatively weak showing these last few years and has a playerbase somewhat wanting for something good as good RPG games are anything but common these days.

Edited by Valsuelm

I think you and some others here are seriously overestimating the 'niche' of PE. PE has quite a bit more than your average game potential to be a blockbuster game. Certainly it has the potential to be as popular as any of the major IPs of the genre out there now. A genre that's had a relatively weak showing these last few years and has a playerbase somewhat wanting for something good as good RPG games are anything but common these days.

PE could indeed end up with blockbuster PC sales. But that has nothing to do with whether you'll ever see hard copies of it on store shelves. Digital sales *alone* can easily propel the game to the top of the sales charts.

The bottom line is that Obsidian has not announced a distributor, and has vocally rejected the notion of a publisher. The entire point of doing a kickstarter was to cut these 3rd party entanglements out of equation in the first place. So I seriously doubt they're going to just turn around and start seeking the assistance of either one when they really don't need to.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

What's the basis for your certainty?

There's already a Russian/ Polish distributor on board so there will be physical versions in some areas at least (and I guess it is possible that they might be multi-language). Though that was done in the context of getting translations for those languages, something that isn't necessary for english.

Quote from Kickstarter update 33: "physical items offered on the Kickstarter will not be available past December 3rd". I thought it meant that boxed copies won't be available for purchase after that date, but I guess it could be interpreted to refer only to the other physical goods, like T-shirts, playing cards etc.

Of course I hope the game will sell so well that manufacturing (more) physical copies of the game becomes financially and logistically viable.

• Like 1