Crime, brawling, and reputation

Hey all, i was just thinking about one of my BG2 playthroughs where i punched some woman for claiming her child was mines (silly i know but i was role playing a nasty bastard) and suddenly the entire Temple District wanted me dead even though nobody saw it, not to mention that i'd saved them all from that dodgy beholder dude.

I really hope this all or nothing mechanic is removed or better managed, i would like to be able to brawl with annoying people (with the exception of neb / neeber who ironically i spared lol) without locking game areas off, i would also like to commit crimes unnoticed and not recieve reputation drops, but i suppose the main question is how would people like the crime and punishment system to be treated in PE?

I think it would be fantastic if they implement different punishments for different towns or factions, for example for getting caught stealing in one place you have to pay a fine and return goods, in another town/civilisation/race/faction however they insist you must serve a prison sentence etc..

Infact expanding upon this, it would be interesting if there were different laws entirely for different places, they've already stated that the worship of certain dietys is outlawed in different areas, so what happens with your priest/preistess of whomever refuses to remove their insignia? Could make for some interesting character dialogue options aswel.

I'm hoping that crime will be linked to reputation which will be unique for each faction, meaning you can be a criminal in the eyes of some but a hero in the eyes of others.

Finally, i always thought it was a really neat feature in Arcanum where if u slaughtered a town/village you were labeled as the "butcher of stillwater" or something, regardless of your good deeds that label never dissapeared, no matter how many kittens you save afterwards.

• Like 1

Hey all, i was just thinking about one of my BG2 playthroughs where i punched some woman for claiming her child was mines (silly i know but i was role playing a nasty bastard) and suddenly the entire Temple District wanted me dead even though nobody saw it, not to mention that i'd saved them all from that dodgy beholder dude.

The gods were watching... :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The gods were watching... :)

I want to see a guy pull out a cellphone to record someone and say that now

I think it would be fantastic if they implement different punishments for different towns or factions, for example for getting caught stealing in one place you have to pay a fine and return goods, in another town/civilisation/race/faction however they insist you must serve a prison sentence etc..

In fact expanding upon this, it would be interesting if there were different laws entirely for different places, they've already stated that the worship of certain dietys is outlawed in different areas, so what happens with your priest/preistess of whomever refuses to remove their insignia? Could make for some interesting character dialogue options aswel.

I'm hoping that crime will be linked to reputation which will be unique for each faction, meaning you can be a criminal in the eyes of some but a hero in the eyes of others.

I tihink tehre will be a fairly high likelihood of this kind of behaviour, as Obsidian have already played with the faction/reputation idea in Fallout: New Vegas, I see no reason why it shouldn't carry on into this one.

I like the idea of non lethal intimidation used in the game. Maybe introducing a combat mechanic that can be invoked as part of a dialog tree, pausing the dialog for the fisticuffs and resuming once you'd taught your target a lesson.

I like the idea of non lethal intimidation used in the game. Maybe introducing a combat mechanic that can be invoked as part of a dialog tree, pausing the dialog for the fisticuffs and resuming once you'd taught your target a lesson.

That would be fun :)

I hope they implement this system, or atleast something like it: http://www.pocketplane.net/virtue

Basically, you have a reputation and a virtue meter. Reputation is what the other people think of you, and virtue represents the morals of the party. So you could be a psychotic killer but still be a respected member of society because nobody knows about it.

I promise if they go for a karma system I'll fart in a balloon and send it to their HQ.

• Like 1

I hope they implement this system, or atleast something like it: http://www.pocketplane.net/virtue

Basically, you have a reputation and a virtue meter. Reputation is what the other people think of you, and virtue represents the morals of the party. So you could be a psychotic killer but still be a respected member of society because nobody knows about it.

I promise if they go for a karma system I'll fart in a balloon and send it to their HQ.

I like that, except I don't believe in absolute moralism. so I think they should have not a virtue, but a "legal" vs reputation rather than virtue vs reputation

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

That would be fun :)

Witcher did it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif