What do you guys expect from the Chanters?

It could be intersting if the player (or NPC) chose which special words to include in an individual "chant" and stringing them together attracted different types of souls to come together and produce different effects.

For example, you might have a dozen syllabals or runes or whathaveyou and the chanter picks x many for an x level chant taking x amount of tactical resources and then gets their basic effects as they're said-- then either compounding with the others, forming an entirely new effect discovered by gamelogic\experimentation/lore basis, or a combination of the two.

[...]

You know, that's a good thought -- if any class should have a spell sequencing effect (à la Simbul's Spell Sequencer), it should be the Chanter.

I wouldn't mind starting with a known repertoire of the greatest saga poems, and upgrading them or adding new ones as we progress through the game. Sitting among the Glenfathans, listening to their warrior poets. Speaking to the souls of the dead from long vanished civilisations. Marvelling at the life story of a long dead battle king, carved on the walls of his crypt. Swapping tales with a stranger from far distant lands, where even the gods bear strange names.

Until finally you get to add your own works to the long tale of the ages, ensuring your fame and immortality amongst the Chanters. A poem as strong in its effects as your own awakened soul, and shaped by your actions.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm kind of kidding, but the description for chanters "... ambient spirits respond to the evocation of ancient, common story elements and play their part in reconstructing the chanter's tales." makes me think that part of the Chanter's skill set may be something akin to "summoning".

Being a bit more serious, there was an old Doctor Strange issue where this guy basically knew shout magic; each word, perfectly shouted created an effect. I'm really thinking that's going to be what the Chanter does channeling energy into the old texts and using those words to cause things to happen. I'm hoping its not just buffing, though, as I find buff oriented classes fairly boring.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I did enjoy playing the Bard class in Oblivion, if only because of the character flexibility in a single-character game. One element I liked was the specialization in Illusion magic. That seems to make sense, since Bards have an affinity with sensory experiences. A viable bardic illusionist (Chanter) class would be an interesting twist and perhaps make the character more playable as a party member. Their combat skills could rely on deception and misdirection, with moves taking longer to play out but being all the more devastating when they succeed.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It could be intersting if the player (or NPC) chose which special words to include in an individual "chant" and stringing them together attracted different types of souls to come together and produce different effects.

For example, you might have a dozen syllabals or runes or whathaveyou and the chanter picks x many for an x level chant taking x amount of tactical resources and then gets their basic effects as they're said-- then either compounding with the others, forming an entirely new effect discovered by gamelogic\experimentation/lore basis, or a combination of the two.

As for the whole "passive buffer"-- they're putting (or allowing) wizards in plate; the perspective of Obsidian for PE seems to be utmost freedom for every class: if you want to dance about in a lute and frilly attire recitiating it iambic pentameter, run naked into your foes with a battle "Axe" chanting up the spirits of your fallen kin, or barrel through foes with a warhammer pelting out haikus, I think they're going to let you spec your Chanter that way.

Outside of combat...

iWould like to see some instances of actually being able to talk to spirits using Chanting to summon them though; if the PC isn't one they'll just need to drag one along (or an alternative method could be provided, like a nearby Priest who has another way to summon the soul but must be bribed/forced/seduced\whathaveyou).

Yeah, I can get behind that. I remember one of my Pathfinder characters was a mostly illiterate Orc (Full orc) Bard, who had a bag of tricks adapted for magical musical instruments that would break on a crit. He had some Barbarian levels, so he'd literally pull out a Base Guitar +1 of Rocking (1d12, Slashing), run up to an enemy, and break the guitar over their heads while he told stories of his greatness (His preform skill was oratory).

If I could get that much freedom with Chanters in P:E, I'll be more than happy.

• Like 1

They should have Chanting Autotune, so EVERYone can be a master Chanter.

"Awww man... the ambient souls are responding to that Warrior's tales, too, and he's doesn't even actually know any ancient words!"

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Honestly? Nothing. I am deliberately avoiding thinking too much about it because I know that if I start coming up with preconceptions about how the class may work in the hopes that it will make me more open to whatever they turn out to be. Until I know more of the world itself and how they will fit into it then I am going to keep my brain empty.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

No singing or music, but the recitation of heroic near Homeric stanzas, tales that inspire and maybe summon up the souls of heroes long past.

Generally during the heat of battle people aren't inclined to focus on a fantastic story someone's shouting from behind them.

Edited by AGX-17

I did enjoy playing the Bard class in Oblivion, if only because of the character flexibility in a single-character game. One element I liked was the specialization in Illusion magic. That seems to make sense, since Bards have an affinity with sensory experiences. A viable bardic illusionist (Chanter) class would be an interesting twist and perhaps make the character more playable as a party member. Their combat skills could rely on deception and misdirection, with moves taking longer to play out but being all the more devastating when they succeed.

Bards in Oblivion aren't real bards. They're the same fluid multiclass who can still become the best at everything as every other "class."

Double posted again. It'd be nice to be able to delete these things.

Edited by AGX-17

Generally during the heat of battle people aren't inclined to focus on a fantastic story someone's shouting from behind them.

Maybe because they've yet to hear a fantastic enough story from an enchanting, soul-powered gleeman. 8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Recite before the battle and then use battlecries mid battle to remind your struggling companions of the heroic example, a single word or phrase pronounced with all the chanters skill and soul may serve just as well in the midst of an ambush.

Remember the Red Ford.

The eyes of Valheim are upon us.

How the little pigs shall squeal, the giver of rings pronounced.

There cannot be two skies, in the wake of his words came war.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I expect to have passive party buffs, with a little bit of spellcasting and a little bit of fightery stuff. I honestly expect them to end up as somewhat magery fighters. As in, you put up your song of choice to buff the party, and probably yourself as well, you cast some spells to make you tougher, better, maybe a few other buffs, then you go to town with your sword.

It's entirely possible they'll end up as almost purely support buffers with some kind of ranged weapon to aid in the dps when you aren't casting spells, though.

Personally, I'm hoping that the character design has the freedom for me to pursue which path I'd like to take, both in gear I select, and feats/powers/whatever I take in character building.

I'm kind of kidding, but the description for chanters "... ambient spirits respond to the evocation of ancient, common story elements and play their part in reconstructing the chanter's tales." makes me think that part of the Chanter's skill set may be something akin to "summoning".

Being a bit more serious, there was an old Doctor Strange issue where this guy basically knew shout magic; each word, perfectly shouted created an effect. I'm really thinking that's going to be what the Chanter does channeling energy into the old texts and using those words to cause things to happen. I'm hoping its not just buffing, though, as I find buff oriented classes fairly boring.

I think I might have that issue in my dad's collection.

Would be a cool take on a Bard.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands