Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Gaming Blog

project eternity gaming blog journalism way2train

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3441 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ok sorry, but is driving me insane.
The difference between "a" and "an"
If the following word starts with a consonant, you use "a".
The N in "an" is only added because of phonetical reasons when the next word starts with a vowel or, very rarely, a silent H.

So it is "a pokemon" not "an pokemon"
It is "a beta" but "an early beta" and in turn "a very early beta".

When unsure, you have to speak the words out loud. Is the first sound following the article "a" a consonant? Then there is no N. Is the first sound a vowel? Then you add the N.

So to sum up, its only "an" if the following word starts with an A,E,U,I,O and on very few occasions an H. But usually the H at the start of words actually does have a sound and therefor usually it is "a" without the N for words starting with H. For example "When she was young, Jessie wanted to become a nurse at a hospital for pokemon"

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system and you did say we should comment on these things :)
  • Jasiek likes this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
There are a few exceptions :)

Gorth is an XCOM Operative? Fighting a unification war?

Favourite pet peeves... people who mutilates English by thinking that site/sight, through/threw, horde/hoard etc. are interchangeable :p

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3441 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer
True, got carried away with vowels and added U to the list even though U is a case by case thing. I guess if it has the latin root such as uniform or uranium etc then its "a". When it doesn't then its "an" urgency, "an" ulterior motive etc.

With abreviations its wierd, but it isn't the sound of the letter but the word that is the name of the letter that is actually pronounced. So what you are actually saying is Gorth is an excom Operative ;)
What I find confusing is things like "an EU council meeting" if using the abreviation, but "a European Union council meeting: if you don't use it.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
English teachers need to live too :)

Serrano

Serrano

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1207 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Then I don't know if I should be astonished or jealous of it xD''' You are an anomaly, at least I think so xD Nintendo made sure that Pokemon were everywhere, they even added them as a toy to Lay's xD'''

The South Park episode was pretty good though.

Edited by Serrano, 28 December 2012 - 06:11 AM.

Jasiek

Jasiek

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Steam:Pyromanceri
  • Kickstarter Backer
Woah, it's a shame my internet went down pretty much 2 minutes after I had wrote my post :x

And thanks a lot for the grammar lesson, you are like 5x better then the teachers I have in college xD

And I know it's a little selfish, but would you mind sharing the blog a bit? A would like some more views (which translates to more comments and feedback) Anything would be great : )

Edited by Jasiek, 30 December 2012 - 09:45 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, gaming, blog, journalism, way2train

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users