Knocking on NPCs Door

Im just playing BG and I walk into every house because I think there might be interesting encounters or quests which is pretty darn unrealistic. Who in Moradins name would walk froom door to door and look into someones house.

Therefore there should be a knocking mechanic. You knock on the door someone is answering.

- Hello, who is this ?

-We are mercenaries have you any job for us ?

- NOPE GO AWAY

Done.

At night it should take loooonger to answer and ppl should be mad that you are knocking. They wont open.

If you wanna play a thief than you just knock and if no one answers u go in and at night u just go in.

Wouldnt that be cool ?

• Like 6

In before the "Knock knock" jokes.

Will you be able to barge your way in? Will you be able to "trick" your way in? "I'm a government official and we have heard strange rumors about this house! You need to leave so we can make a full inspection!!" (Lying)

Sales pitch? Jehovas witness? (I can see that as a joke, some NPC walking around knocking on doors trying to spread some religious propaganda)

What with the written word not being in the game, "door-to-door salesmen" could be running around handling business.

Could you send off one character to sell "vendor trash" items like this? *Parties in Cities

• Like 2

I agree with the OT, and that would actually be a good way to make a settlement seem more lived-in without necessarily detailing every single dwelling.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I always found it amazing that they actually had jobs for someone who just barged into their house.

Mercenaries and adventurers should look for jobs at the jobboard in the townhall or tavern, visiting homes without invitation is for thieves.

• Like 7

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

Who in Moradins name would walk froom door to door and look into someones house.

I usually bring a thief along just for that very purpose ^^

But yeah, knocking is probably the more "lawful" solution, if you just need to talk to the owner. And gives an indication whether the building is occupied if you plan to break and enter. Looks like everyone profits...

I always found it amazing that they actually had jobs for someone who just barged into their house.

Mercenaries and adventurers should look for jobs at the jobboard in the townhall or tavern, visiting homes without invitation is for thieves.

Ye ole jobboard. No medieval town could be called complete without one.

Personally I imagine that every house where you aren't welcomed has its door locked, those you could enter actually asked you to enter. This is not entirely realistic (not every house had a lockable door in the Middle Ages, and on the countryside houses were often left unlocked even at night still 50 years ago). But it streamlines things.

• Like 2

Fallout 1 had an awesome way of doing this. You walk in, the NPC says "Hey! Get out of my house!" Tarry too long, you get attacked. Have different doors to houses being either locked or unlocked. Then if you walk in and you see someone, bam "Get out of my house." Tarry too much longer, you get attacked. If the NPC runs away, you'll probably have guards on you soon enough.

This can be done well. Knocking seems too much of just a single mechanic to stop thieving. There should be a more generalized mechanic dealing with this.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Whoa OP you just rocked my world.

That would be seriously awesome...I can't think of an RPG that has door knocking as a standard method of interacting with (non vendor) npc shops.

It would save time too, allow for interesting dialogue and tactics, and add to the immersion of the game.

Perhaps there is a technical limitation though.

I said something similar on the BSN while ago regarding issue of living world immersion vs static lifeless NPCs and locations.

That some NPC's can simply refuse to let you in when try to get inside solving the aspect of not being able to enter every place saving time on the design of inside every building but at same time allow for the world to feel more alive. Knowing there is a reason why you could not enter because the owner was inside and forbid you from entering as opposed to having bland lifeless towns and cities with painted on doors that feels like nothing more than window dressing and no reason given to the player why could not enter and explore or (while I prefer this next method) allowing every building to be entered and explored.

I agree with the OT, and that would actually be a good way to make a settlement seem more lived-in without necessarily detailing every single dwelling.

Yeah, I'd like to see a high density of little/non-interactive NPCs and buildings in the "big cities" to make them actually look and feel big, rather than the standard, mostly interactive hamlets that pass for "big cities" in RPGs.

Edited by AGX-17