What will the real name be?

Baldur's Gate 2: The Dumbed Down Edition

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

I don't think you could dumb down BG2. #controversyrightthere

I see that you are trying to protect the dumbing down of this game by saying that the spiritual predecessors were already dumbed down.

That was a good one. Way to go.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

I see that you are trying to protect the dumbing down of this game by saying that the spiritual predecessors were already dumbed down.

It wasn't "dumbed down", but it certainly didn't require much thought. You're kidding yourself (or you simply haven't followed the updates) if you think P:E will be lacking in complexity compared to Durrr & Durrr 2nd ed.

And yes this is OT :ban:

Edited by Sacred_Path

Baldur's Gate 2: The Dumbed Down Edition

Troll.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

• 2 months later...

"PTE" might be something of the short form of the final title.

As seen in Update 43:

So, specifically ROB, what does Antonio do that will make Project Trenton/Eternity awesome?

Thought: Parchment

It is not used by any video game company (as far as I know from my googling around) for a title.

In the same way that "Elder Scrolls" generates titles (I, II, III, IV, V etc. etc.) this could work well for something like a "Parchment". Though, it's pretty much a rip-off.
parchment.jpg

Parchment: Tenants of Eternity (PTE)
or maybe even
Tenant: Parchment of Eternity (TPE) (another way to write it, "The Dweller: Eternity on an 'Old-Piece-of-Paper'" xD)

Definitions of a tenant. (Ten-ant, Tenant).

In context: An occupier of eternity, dweller of eternity, someone who inhabits eternity.

Parchment runs pretty bad on my tongue though, I can close my eyes and imagine TotalHalibut & AngryJoe say it and I think it would sound pretty good (and generally any reviewer saying it, but my swedish accent makes it feel weird & sound weird. I dunno), it would never work well with a dark Trailer voice (does anything though?).

Edited by Osvir

Dark Souls.

Oh, wait.

Eternal Champions.

Wait, no.

Eternity's Child.

No, Beyonce isn't in the game (STRETCH GOAL!).

From Here To Eternity—d'oh!

Hmm, what would communicate the vibe of the game successfully...?

Super Soul Sounds of the Seventies? :lol:

Man, I can see why inXile went with the generic-sounding "Tides of Numenera." It is tough to come up with a name for a fantasy series that doesn't sound like the name of every other fantasy series. "Blankety-blank: Blank of Blank" is such a standard construction that it's really difficult to think outside of that model.

Project: Eternity may be a good name, actually. Or just Eternity.

The Elder Souls? :p

• Like 1

Soul Force Squad Team 5: Battle for Ettern.

If you go ahead and slap a 5 in there, people will assume there were already 4 that did well enough to warrant a 5th sequel.

Also, the world's name should totally be Ettern. 8P

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

After meeting with my focus group, we have decided that the name should reflect something that everyone likes. Therefore, the results are the new name of Project Eternity should be:

Awesome Baby Kittens

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

After meeting with my focus group, we have decided that the name should reflect something that everyone likes. Therefore, the results are the new name of Project Eternity should be:

Awesome Baby Kittens

Not bad, not bad. I can see it.

I was thinking that "There Will Be Cats" would be a cool name, but then decided I'm going to use that for my make-me-a-millionare-in-exchange-for-cat-photos KS campaign. So, sorry Obsidian, but you can't use my awesome title now. I've trademarked it already.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Awesome Baby Kittens

Not bad, not bad. I can see it.

I was thinking that "There Will Be Cats" would be a cool name, but then decided I'm going to use that for my make-me-a-millionare-in-exchange-for-cat-photos KS campaign. So, sorry Obsidian, but you can't use my awesome title now. I've trademarked it already.

After meeting with my focus group, it was unanimous; joint venture.

Edit: They mentioned something about making a calendar with kittens wearing armor, and holding little weapons with their paws.

Edit X2: And making them a playable race.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Awesome Baby Kittens

How about "An eternity of kittens" or maybe better: "An eternity with kittens". The best of both worlds: it has "eternity" and "kittens", win-win!

Provenance of Eternity (kinda forcibly keeping with the "PE" acronym here, just for kicks).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Well, come to think of it, Project Eternity itself is a valid name IMO. It could refer to an ingame movement/event, for example, there's a group of scientists/mages/whathaveyou that tries to break the cycle of birth and rebirth, attempts to bind their(and possibly everyone elses) souls eternally to a single body, thus dubbing their project 'Eternity'.

At least there'd be a score of things fitting under project name "Eternity", so it isn't that far fetched when you think of all the meanings it could hold.

Dude, I can see my own soul.....

Of Plumes and Kittens!

or Anima Cattus Eternus!

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)