What will the real name be?

I could actually see the possibility of it staying Project Eternity. Implies a story with a crazy mage that tries to manipulate souls so you could be immortal. Or something like that.

Yeah this has never been done before.

Roll BG2 soundtrack...

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

This is AMERICA (deep, throaty, GTAVC/SA gun shop voice,) if their idea failed in the marketplace of ideas, then it wasn't a very good idea.

Right. Americans only ever buy good ideas. Snort. :lol:

This is America sure (at least where I am) but America should never be confused with "Corporate America". They aren't the same place. They failed due to poor marketing and bad timing, not due to bad ideas. That said the humor isn't lost on me.

Also Americans buy all sorts of crap garbage, just like everyone else.

Galdur‘s Bate...somehow remind me Gillbert Bates of Arcanum.................

Which you do know is a play off of Bill Gates right? Stole the technology of another, made millions? I love that game...

Aye,and do never forget his competitor - Appleby, haha :p

• Like 1

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

What's the name of the world of P:E? That could work as a title as well. Perhaps not if it is "Earth" but if it has some sort of interesting world name (Gaia~as an example) or whatever it could be as "Entering [World]" by just playing it.

If a game would be called "Faerun" I would expect to enter "Faerun".

"Dragon Age" implies a specific "Era" or "Time".

Baldur's Gate implies a specific "Area". "Shadows of Amn" implies depth/mystery as well as Amn (Honestly IMO, BG2 could have been named "Athkatla: Shadows of Amn" that would have conveyed the same meaning as "Baldur's Gate 2").

Dyrwood could work as a title but it is rather bland. Is there a Big City somewhere in Dyrwood?

* Godhammer's Citadel (Bland tbh, Anvil sounds cooler)

* Dyrwood: Godhammer's Anvil

* Haedric's Hold (mid-map)

Eir Glanfath could work as a title as well but it would feel like "trying too hard" as a game title. Seeing it in the digital shop shelf~

There is a slight distaste in my mouth about "Eternity", "Eternal", "Immortal", "Infinity" being part of the title but we'll see if there's anything cool and alluring that can be done with it. Similar distaste about "Soul" (in the title).

Btw, I'm looking at this scratching my beard trying to envision some sort of setting/world with what we know thus far:

obsidian-projecteternity.jpg

I think something simplistic as a title, similar to "Fallout". Something that tells more what kind of state the world is in or outright what the area/world's name is that we will explore. Having a "revealing" title related to plot can make a game predictable. I think what Developers do aim for, regardless if it is Literature, Movies, Books, Games, is to have a cool sounding title that reveals as little as possible. Neutrality all the way!

Shadows of Amn = Interesting title choice

Throne of Bhaal = Obvious plot

Icewind Dale doesn't tell too much either, "Tis Area is whence thou shalt explore". Though a great example, at a title that does it amazingly well: "Planescape: Torment" tells a lot shrouded in mystery. "Why escape from the plane?", "What plane?", "What kind of Torment?". The title actually makes the player question and analyze the title, well I can't speak for everyone but I do which is great as well. But it doesn't necessarily reveal too much, whilst it does reveal some.

"Shawshank Redemption" became "Key to Freedom" in Swedish translation which pretty much reveals the entire movie's plot. So title is very important.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 4

Going into phonetics (I think that's the word I'm looking for...).

I can agree that A-e-vum sounds too much like Av-er-num.

Don't know A-va-don = A-e-vum (the Don really sticks out)

Al-bi-on... yep. Germanic as well (made by a German developer team)

Ar-ca-num doesn't sound near close to Av-er-num except the "num", mostly due to the "Ca" in ArCanum, makes it more Germanic whilst Avernum is more smooth and geographically French. Aevum is like elfish in terms of silken smooth. A wee bit too smooth maybe. What I wanted to say was Aevum versus Arcanum, looks similar but sounds different.

I like what Dawn_ is going for though, a deeper research into "Eternity" and the crypticism of the title. Who would've known that Aevum translated to "Eternity" right off the bat if Dawn_ hadn't said it?

Edited by Osvir

I honestly would rather the people in-house who have completed the game come up with a name that makes sense. I don't think specific names should be suggested, but rather what sorts of ideas the name should imply. Kind of what you (and some other people) are doing, Osvir, with your last few posts.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

@Hormalakh

Never said it should be that name. Plus, i think the name does make sense. Since it means Eternity..

But i don't think myself that name should be proposed. But this thread was going a bit..on the off-track side.

So, i wanted to make a real proposition. To recenter a bit the subject.

Aevum sounds a bit like Avernum and Arcanum. But that's also what make it interesting.

Since there is a real reference and winkle to previous work done by Obsidian.

But like i said, it wasn't a real suggestion. Was more trying to recenter the subject.

Because i have read Dozen of parodic post w/ Baldur's name, Planetscape and Fallout name in it.

The first one made me laugh, the others less. Besides, without any more info.

I don't think any of us can come up with a good name.

Btw Aeon also means eternity in Latin (there is a lot of words than means Eternity but their sense differs).

• Like 1

Fallout. It wasn't a tradition. But it should be one. The people who know the game best should name the game. All we know right now is that there are souls, eternity, D&D style mechanics, RPG in the game. We know practically next to nothing about this game. Maybe something that hasn't been mentioned plays a bigger role than we think in this game. Why aren't there any names that take "soul" into account - we already know that, it's a big deal. Probably bigger than Eternity.

@Dawn_: I get the feeling that a lot of people are making "joke" names because they really don't think that they could come up with a good name, probably for some of the reasons that I've mentioned. Or maybe they're trying to troll - who knows.

Edited by Hormalakh

My DXdiag:

@Dawn_: I get the feeling that a lot of people are making "joke" names because they really don't think that they could come up with a good name, probably for some of the reasons that I've mentioned. Or maybe they're trying to troll - who knows.

I think it has to do with the fact that making up names for the game at this stage is silly and pointless.

If we had more information I don't doubt that I and many others could come up with a good name.

Actually it would be pretty awesome if Obsidian held a name competition once the game is mostly done and we have received enough critical information. They could pick a few names they like from our suggestions, then create a poll on the forums to establish the final name. That would be p. awesome; it would make it feel like P:E was really our baby.

Edited by Sacred_Path
  • Like 4

Soul & Sorcery. Or Swords, Souls & Sorcery. Or Souls, Swords & Sorcery.

Or maybe focus more on the party mechanics, ehm... Heroes of Souls & Sorcery.

Or in keeping with the temporary title: Souls & Eternity.

...Actually the last one kinda seems like it could work. Nevermind.

...Way of Souls/Way of the Soul.

I'd rather Obsidian come up with three titles they like and then put them in a forum/KS poll. :p

@TMTVL:

Soulcery?

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I wouldn't be opposed to it just staying Project Eternity. Nearly everyone I know has heard of Project Eternity. That's what they know it as. The ones who didn't fund it during the Kickstarter are probably going to forget about it till it's released, and if it's still Project Eternity, it'll be pretty easy for them to find.

Then again, if you really want a traditional CRPG, you'll probably be on the lookout for one anyway, and most people will probably keep up with it to some degree--at least to the point of reading about on Escapist or Kotaku.