Hi all,

I can see all the great desing and work from Baldurst Gate and Icewindale I love those games but Im a big time fan of Temple of the elemental evil, is this proyect will take the game esence of TOE?.

For example as user just use 1 character of any kind of class the fight its by turns (if the problem its the respawn, well you can make an instanse of that battle and open an chess).

In TOE we have all the clasics classes of D&D and it have all the desings for your character: Helmet, cape/cloack, armor, rings, sword, shiled, boots etc. So can some please tell me if you are working in something like this in this proyect?, If not please try to make something like this (or add something like this to this Proyect Eternity)

Thank you and Regards.

You should read the Kickstarter. Short answer: No, PE will not take the game "essence" of TOEE.

ESSENCE (all of this is on the KS front page):

Baldur's Gate exploration and breadth

Planescape: Torment narrative depth

Icewind Dale combat mechanics

PE is not a D&D game because it doesn't have the license. The only things from TOEE that PE is taking are the 3D model avatars and objects, IIRC. Gear item slots are standard in virtually all CRPGs, so that has nothing to do with TOEE.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

In TOE we have all the clasics classes of D&D and

No, they can't, because they can't use the D&D license.

it have all the desings for your character: Helmet, cape/cloack, armor, rings, sword, shiled, boots etc.

Yes, that's in there.

Well one thing they do take from ToEE is the Ironman feature, lets just hope it actually work this time... ;)

Also the artwork is going to resemble ToEE a bit more than the IE games from a technical standpoint, 3D models on a 2D background.

In TOE we have all the clasics classes of D&D and

No, they can't, because they can't use the D&D license.

it have all the desings for your character: Helmet, cape/cloack, armor, rings, sword, shiled, boots etc.

Yes, that's in there.

You are right and I undertand about the D&D.

Ok, thank you for the information. I think I must wait more in order to see a game like TOEE in MMO version (with or without D&D license).

Regards.

MMO? This game will AFAIK not have any multiplayer component at all so you are really far off then.

Also I would be quite surprised to see ToEE mechanics put to MMO format. Maybe from a small indie company (though naturally then without a D&D license), but the large AAA publishers will not touch it with a 10 foot pole, the record is just not appealing to them. Also got a feeling they would be on to something, I really do not think the majority of ToEE players are also MMO players. You can look to games like the Kotor series transitioning to the MMO market and how a large part of the old guard complained about it.

For D&D MMO's there is D&D Online and apparently also soon a D&D: Neverwinter but those are far from ToEE style mechanics.

If you just want TB mechanics I would recommend looking at Divinity original sin, not exactly D&D mechanics but in 2012 you can not be picky when it comes to western style TB RPG's

Edited by Nerei

MMO? This game will AFAIK not have any multiplayer component at all so you are really far off then.

Also I would be quite surprised to see ToEE mechanics put to MMO format. Maybe from a small indie company (though naturally then without a D&D license), but the large AAA publishers will not touch it with a 10 foot pole, the record is just not appealing to them. Also got a feeling they would be on to something, I really do not think the majority of ToEE players are also MMO players. You can look to games like the Kotor series transitioning to the MMO market and how a large part of the old guard complained about it.

For D&D MMO's there is D&D Online and apparently also soon a D&D: Neverwinter but those are far from ToEE style mechanics.

If you just want TB mechanics I would recommend looking at Divinity original sin, not exactly D&D mechanics but in 2012 you can not be picky when it comes to western style TB RPG's

Well as the U2 song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". For the Beyond Divinity its a nice game, I played Divine Divinity... but oh well... DDO I dont like it because I cant see the capes and the desing of the armor its... really.... bad....

Anyway there is nothing impossible some day I will see a good game like TOEE in MMO version.

Regards.

SWTOR is a special exception. I was very excied about SWTOR until I saw the game. You know, it's hard to take a game idea seriously when Jedi are now standing in back rows like priests, holding their green lightsabers like doo-hickeys, healing tanks that are shooting laser-guns. I sighed, because although KOTOR/KOTOR2's combat was nothing to write home about, it was at least different from that. I think a real SWTOR mmo had potential, look at how SW Galaxies turned out, a great game that was actually about a community, it was an MMO. SWTOR was a super-instanced themepark.

PE will not be a mmo. Though it may borrow more elements from TOEE than we expect, given the people who are developing the game.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

It is not impossible no, but considering that ToEE was not really a financial success selling 128K units (according to wikipedia) and it being radically different mechanically to the current MMO market I really would not count on it.

MMO devs are not very likely to throw millions at a project where the prospects at best is uncertain

As for SWG lets be honest, it was never a very large success. From what I remember ToR got several times SWG's peak subscribers sortly after release and unless it has dropped significantly since I last checked is still ahead.

NGE was not really a success either and lets face it, there was a reason for them to try and overhaul the mechanics. Not going to say ToR is a great success (although from what I have heard it is the 2nd largest subscription MMO, atleast in the west) but aiming for the success of SWG would probably not be advisable either.

SWG comes from a different time (how many people back then had computers capable of running a game like that, internet connections, and a willingness to spend $15) and was very profitable for SOE until about 2005. Overhaul was their effort to rekindle subscriptions, but it just backfired, killing the game faster.

SWTOR was also the most expensive MMO, if not game, ever created. The fact it lost most of its population in three months should be enough to suggest SWG was much more successful, if profitable. Though I admit, such conclusions are difficult to reach without hard numbers.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

uhm, SWTOR sold something around 2.1M units which had dropped to around 1.7M subscribers in february (just under the 3 month mark and beyond the 1 free month) and 1.3M in May with the August report saying well above 500K. Those are numbers from EA press announcements related to their investors meetings.

From what I remember SWG never broke 500K.

As for the profitability of SWTOR lets assume 800K subscribers on average (which might be somewhat of an underestimate) paying 15$ (europeans pay that in euro) each month for 12 months and on average 20$ for those 2.1M units, that is 186M$. From that I remember L.A. Times took flak for overestimating the cost of making it when they assumed 200M$. Again that is not to say I would call it a great success but calling it a failure is not really true either.

Also with regard to technology SWG is from late 2003, WoW is from late 2004 (and almost broke 1M before 2005 despite not even being released outside the US, it also hit around 3.5M 2005). I really cannot see all of the blame going to technology.

Okay this is starting to get off topic so I think I will keep it at this

Edited by Nerei