What if Project Eternity becomes Project Fail?

116 members have voted

1. 1. Tell me, what would you do?

• Only one option. Goodbye life! *jumps through the window*
    • Obsidian will PAY!! I'll kill them all! (Joking)
    • Meh, I've seen so much fail in my life, I hardly care anymore.
    • Return to the forums to begin my trolling agenda
    • Uninstall the game, return to the classics
    • I would head to Burguer King and grab myself a Tripple Whooper

I thought we were supposed to play all games crying silently into a napkin. Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Since the backers don't all want the same things, some of us are bound to be disappointed. Personally, I supported the game because I was curious to see what they'd do and not because I thought they'd develop the perfect game for me. If they do, it will be a pleasant surprise. Of course, if I think the game is perfect, others will necessarily be disappointed. ;-)

This is not the important question, which is how you continue your life when Project Eternity success to be best game that you have ever played and you just can't stop playing it?

:brows:

Obsidian puts in a friendly loading screen to remind you to eat and sleep because they don't want to lose any players?

Might want to include a reminder to "go to work" too...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'll be disappointed. I'll take a deep breath. I'll go on the forums and provide constructive criticism. I'll move on and play something else. I'll hope that Obsidian addresses some of my criticisms and does better the next time.

:thumbsup:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

IF that would happen, I'll simply wait a few months until the modding community has made 10+ mods which together will make the game awesome.

But I really don't think the game will be a Project: Fail

Since the backers don't all want the same things, some of us are bound to be disappointed. Personally, I supported the game because I was curious to see what they'd do and not because I thought they'd develop the perfect game for me. If they do, it will be a pleasant surprise. Of course, if I think the game is perfect, others will necessarily be disappointed. ;-)

How true. 80% of the backers will think it's the best thing since packaged cheese slices; 20% will call it worse than DA2 and ME3. Or maybe it's the other way around? We'll see...

:cat:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm almost* never disappointed when it comes to videogames. I either haven't played many games (very likely), or just have low standards (also very likely).

And before anyone asks, no I haven't played any of the Call of Honor: Modern Battlefield games. I don't particularly care much for First Person Shooters.

*Almost: Dreams to Reality. That was horrible.

The risk of failure is present in any endeavour. It can happen. I will grieve and move on. Things sometimes fail, but I'm not going to base my life on what might go wrong.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

This is undoubtedly the most retarded thread I have seen here, and that's saying something, considering that my own threads tend to be a bit retarded.

I believe you're probably overqualified in that regard. :p

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think the worst kind of failure wouldn't be if the game was bad. The worst kind of failure would be if the game ends up being completely awesome, a true classic ala Torment or BG2, but then fails to be financially successful enough to warrant further games of its kind.

Mostly because this scenario would force me to murder a good portion of the gaming population.

• Like 3

They're simply NOT going to fail, friends.

Depends on the definition of fail. If fail means buggy as **** then that is a very real possibility with Obsidian.

Now that's one I hadn't contemplated. Bugs truly can kill a game, but given that they're working with a well established engine, one would hope that they don't find new ways of breaking it. QA on this one needs to be of the highest order. They certainly cleared plenty from the Kickstarter campaign, so I'm not in a mood to accept any excuses for bugs making it to the DVD.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

They're simply NOT going to fail, friends.

Depends on the definition of fail. If fail means buggy as **** then that is a very real possibility with Obsidian.

Now that's one I hadn't contemplated. Bugs truly can kill a game, but given that they're working with a well established engine, one would hope that they don't find new ways of breaking it. QA on this one needs to be of the highest order. They certainly cleared plenty from the Kickstarter campaign, so I'm not in a mood to accept any excuses for bugs making it to the DVD.

New Vegas somehow managed to be buggier than FO3 so established engine might not be as much of a guarantee against bugs as we hope.

Crap! Sigh. Move on.

It's not like there wouldn't have been a bunch of "can't possibly fail" games that have turned out major letdowns.

The first ARMA after OP Flashpoint, CM: Shock Force after the original Combat Missions, and maybe the biggest

one for me, NWN2 after the first NWN (and NWN only needed a graphics update to be the perfect game).

Also, notice how all the biggest disappointments I mentioned were actually good games, just not what I expected or wanted.

one for me, NWN2 after the first NWN (and NWN only needed a graphics update to be the perfect game).

NWN, is nothing but a steep downhill fall.

And please, NWN fanboys, go play some decent games before you flame me. Thanks.

Plain facts: NWN SP campaign was meant only to show what could be done with the toolset. The toolset and the multiplayer are the main features of NWN. The NWN campaign sucked, period. In relation to titles such as Baldur's Gate 2 it was just plain sad.

And it's the greatest RPG and game in the world, according to many.

Believe me, dear NWN fanboys. If you think NWN is great, damn there's a beautiful world for you out there.

NWN II has more in common with Baldur's Gate, than its predecessor.

NWN, is nothing but a steep downhill fall.

And please, NWN fanboys, go play some decent games before you flame me. Thanks.

Well thanks for the respectful tone and not flamebaiting at all.

I'd say I've played about.. mmm.. just about every RPG out there. Not sure which you'd say are the decent ones.

I'm not talking about the plot BTW (NWN2 had a better one and MotB much better yet, Mysteries of Westgate was also excellent).

I'm talking about the gameplay, animations, combat system, toolset, mods.

I didn't put the 1000 hours into replaying NWN's main campaign over and over again, I put the time into the 100+ other campaigns I played.

If KotOR had had a toolset and a whackload of player made campaigns, that'd probably be my number 1 choice.

Well Fail is a really loose word used here, because everyone has different definition of it in this regard, for a person the fail could be that the game isnt exactly what they wanted and for another person could be that its buged, for some people a fail can even be a specific character/class/ story point in the game.

And to be frank if the game would become a fail overal aka. a piece of unplayable junk then the creators would have to work hard on it to NOT work out. But considering that thay are going with a BG/IWD style of game i can see some people not liking it and could tag is as a "fail" in ther opinion.

I don't remember Obsidian or BI ever failing, why should they now when they are making a game independently and listen to the community? The chance of that is extremely low but even if if that happened and Obsidian didn't try to fix it ASAP (and I think it's more likely that we're all going to die in two weeks), well, it would be sad and Obsidian would get first strike.