What if Project Eternity becomes Project Fail?

116 members have voted

1. 1. Tell me, what would you do?

• Only one option. Goodbye life! *jumps through the window*
    • Obsidian will PAY!! I'll kill them all! (Joking)
    • Meh, I've seen so much fail in my life, I hardly care anymore.
    • Return to the forums to begin my trolling agenda
    • Uninstall the game, return to the classics
    • I would head to Burguer King and grab myself a Tripple Whooper

Close this one. We really don't need the negativity it might inspire. They're simply NOT going to fail, friends.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Close this one. We really don't need the negativity it might inspire. They're simply NOT going to fail, friends.

I'm generally against overreaching forum moderation (something that plagues too many forums these days), as in I don't think moderators should step in excepting something really extraordinary (ie: uber flame war) or to move (not close) a thread that might be off topic or to delete spam. Since this thread is begun with an obvious troll post I'd say it arguably falls into the spam catagory. OP has one post to his/her name and the poll options aren't even realistic.

That said, I'll bite OP. Realistically. What would I do if your twilight zonish hypothetical came to pass? Be somewhat bummed but I'd still be glad I backed the game though as it was a noble cause.

Well, I've never played an Obsidian game I didn't like, so I'm not particularly worried about such an outcome. But since there's a first time for everything, I guess I would just uninstall PE and keep playing their old games. It wouldn't be that big of a deal to me since I've bought plenty of games that turned out to be boring or downright awful. I suppose the failure of such a high profile Kickstarter project could have repercussions for future KS game pitches, though.

Still, I think such an outcome is pretty unlikely. Obsidian has a great track record when it comes to this kind of game, and they seem to be planning to make exactly that: a game (as opposed to a movie with interactive portions, which is how Bioware keeps getting itself in trouble). So, I don't see any reason to be pessimistic about the future of PE. I'd say, best case scenario: it will be amazingly great; worst case scenario: it will only be decent.

Hopefully not. He hasn't spammed the board or otherwise done anything wrong. He's proposed a what-if, albeit one most of us wouldn't want to contemplate.

My answer: shrug and find something else to do. I'll be disappointed, certainly, but in the end it's just a game and all I've lost is my pledged money. I've wasted a lot more on hopes unfulfilled during my life than that.

I thought the question is almost impossible but anything can happen in this world of global financial uncertainty. So lets humor him with a response. I voted for the Burger King option as if it did fail what could I realistically change? So the option would be to eat some junk food to mourn :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Suicide by Burger King.

It's the only option

Yeah :), a junk food overdose would be the only thing that makes sense

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's pretty much not possible for this game to fail unless the team actually disbanded or they ran out of funding and couldn't get more to finish. Why?

A) We know exactly what they're making already, and everyone wants to play it. IE style fantasy game with RTWP combat, and a deep storyline. Nothing innovative or crazy to see how it goes or anything, it's basically taking what they've already done a million of, plopping in a new storyline and new combat.

B) We're gonna see this game every step of the way which will eliminate any shark jumping. If they do anything the community as a whole really doesn't like, there'll be a chance for us to say what we think before it's too late. But lets be honest, they're making the game they want to make anyways, which is what we all want them to do, and the community as a whole probably shouldn't have too much of a sway on things (for example, I'm very much so pro-romance, including the ability to have a romance end happily at the end, but they are kind of against that, so I'm fine with it).

Really, I'm more worried about how much of a success this will be. I'm sure they'll make enough it'll be worth their time. I'm hoping though they make so much it brings back the golden age of rpgs. I can only hope :) But at the very least, I'd like them to make enough to be able to self-fund future PE games and expansions.

OMG, a game sucking is, like, a major life blow. No game has EVER sucked before, and if Obsidian was the first game maker to make a sucky game, I'm not sure what I could possibly do.

It is a future too horrible to contemplate! Game over, man! Game over!

I'll scream! I'll pout! I'll nerd rage on the internet in a way that people will notice over the usual nerd rage that infests the internet!

Or, perhaps, I might actually act like a rational adult. Hard to say right now...too close to call.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

No game has EVER sucked before

PE is not like any game before it, ever! Heresy!

Well with this line of logic

1. No game has ever sucked before

2. PE is not like any game before it

Therefore, PE must suck. Q.E.D.

There is proof that you cannot argue with! Well you could, but the argument would be rather one sided since the proof wouldn't argue back.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man