Darkness Falls on Eternity (more horror, scary themes in eternity)

Horrror in Eternity  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want scary moments in eternity ?

• YES i want Eternity to by more scary, more survuval-horror game
    • Yes horror shoud be one of elemets of game, but not main theme.
    • Yes, but only in some quests i don't want scary world.
    • Undecided, other, don't care
    • No but if they putt them i will still play this game
    • NO ! putting even scary quest will destroy this game
  2. 2. What type of survival horror or just scary themes you want to se in Eternity ?

• Survival horror mystery (hard mysterys that you must solve to push storyline forward)
    • Scary, ugly, gore monsters
    • Battles that you can't win you must fle for your life
    • Feeling that someone is wathing you, something can jump on you in every moment etc.
    • Putting player in worse position then his enemys (Fighting for life not ego)
    • other
    • No elements

I wanted to vote yes, only in some quests, but I'm not sure on the 'I don't want a scary world' part. That's actually one of the main questions here IMO. (apart from what's scary and what's not, obviously).

Is the world fraught with monsters? Then any attempt to 'step up' the horror is going to be silly/ contrived/ missing the point. If it's a very civilized world where monsters only exist in remote locations, the potential for "horror" is much greater.

I like a bit of horror in my games. I full think that you can pull off some horror in a isometric game like this since really it's mostly about atmosphere. I don't expect to feel scared but just getting a horror 'vibe' is all I'd really want anyway.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I would love horror to be a part of this game, maybe on a few signature quests that set themselves apart by having a distinct horror feel. The kind of horror I like is typically a sense of creepiness, building to an overwhelming sense of foreboding and oppression - kind of Lovecraftian I guess. In light of this I went for "Yes, but not the main theme" and "other".

• Like 1

I would love horror to be a part of this game, maybe on a few signature quests that set themselves apart by having a distinct horror feel. The kind of horror I like is typically a sense of creepiness, building to an overwhelming sense of foreboding and oppression - kind of Lovecraftian I guess. In light of this I went for "Yes, but not the main theme" and "other".

Cthulhu is comming to Eternity haha

howard_phillips_lovecraft_the_call_of_cthulhu_a_monster_a_coastal_city_destruction_fire_bay-other.jpg

Dunno if horror even works from an isometric perspective. Unless it's a hovering monster ô.O

First horror games was from isometric perspective. Even Gorky 17 was rpg horror with isometric

And exactly how horrified did you feel? :cat:

I don't scare from horror movies either. Thats not the point. Its the atmosphere of the game that matter, not how much you will be scared.Diablo had horror themes.If you were scared or not its a completelly other matter

Edited by Malekith

Wouldn't mind some Dead Money-esque areas, no strike that i'd positively adore them. Nice atmospheric build up of tension, reliance on sound and enviromental hints and unexpected occurences. Not too many jump scares though, they age very quickly. Throw in some sickening tragedy and thoughtful sadism as well.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"Yes horror should be one of the elements of the game, but not the main theme."

and

"Feeling that someone is wathing you, something can jump on you in every moment etc."

I still remember the haunted mansion from Vampire:Bloodlines. It was one of the most scariest moments I've ever had in a videogame.

I still remember the haunted mansion from Vampire:Bloodlines. It was one of the most scariest moments I've ever had in a videogame.

And the beatyfull thing is that in eternity also can be some haunted manson (mayby not LA style) haunted masion was awsome and even if you where a vampire this still was scary ha

For those who don't play that game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt871DyKQbQ

Edited by Ulquiorra

I would say that horror works fine in isometric games. If you want example, you need only look first or newest Xcom games (strategy&tactical versions). Those games create nice feel of horror (good way) in player.

Resident evil 1,2,3 was even in some way isometric (not first person) and was one of most scaryest series .... i don't play silent hill series but from screenschoots i remember simillar setting.

Resident Evil Zero was even about party (two members) game and also worked good.

Edited by Ulquiorra

I wouldn't want it wholly about the scary elements, in a way that takes away from a truly horrific moment, if you know it's all saturated with scares . . . at least for me. Elements of horror, though, I'd welcome, to certain aspects of the game, just not to the main game as a whole, and definitely not as the main theme. Be it a sidequest, or what have you, I'm sure an isometric game can handle horror elements well, with proper direction and writing backing it. Such things have to be well handled though, as with pretty much any aspect of writing/pacing/presentation.

Edited by Umberlin
  • Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Horror = Atmosphere. I don't need jump scares. I just need to feel on edge.

Tru :sorcerer:

Wheni was playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas (in night) even some dog cound scare when jump on me suddenly. And it was nt becouse of first person becouse i was plaing in 3 person over shoulders.

ps. and what about your favorite monsters ? I personaly like scary monsters (in grotesque way not bloody gore)

From Fallout Nv for exaple tell me that guy is don't scary in some way

centaur_5638.jpg it's just bizzare

or this guy

the+first+fallout+I+played+was+new+vegas+and+the+_8485079eaa9300464adb3e4ec8b37cdf.jpg

He was a bit scary but one of the reason most players when see them run it's becouse 1-3 hits and your dead.... and mayby for that only make me scary somethimes (expecionaly when i see him on 1-7 lvl)

"Oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap!" is always fun just to take a quick breather where you think you are safe for a second or two and then "Oh crap oh crap oh crap!!!".

Something that feels like an ordinary dungeon, you go down and defeat the dungeon boss, that either transforms into something or defeating the boss causes something to happen that chases us through the dungeon. That could work. The safe spot could even be getting outdoors and still being chased for a bit before finally getting away.

"Oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap!" is always fun just to take a quick breather where you think you are safe for a second or two and then "Oh crap oh crap oh crap!!!".

I expect 'oh crap' moments from a good game. A powerful monster zoning in on you surprisingly can do that.

But powerful monster =/= scary. In fact you usally hope to find one at the bottom of a dungeon along with its phat l00tz.

What I'd like to see are some suprising/ moving/ creepy moments that have to do with souls, fractured souls, life after death/ undeath/ unexistence etc. Stuff that makes you think about the horrible consequences of certain actions, unforgiving acts, or plain senseless cruelty. If it's done really really well, I might even show one or two goosebumps. I promise.

• Like 1

I think one problem is that we've practically seen everything already. That's why horror movies are going into extremes with visual gore etc. I believe that that's part of making horror, too, as well as jump scares etc. It's not everything, obviously, but it has a part.

As a culture I think we have fear for a very negative trait, so we do not like to show it and eventually have a certain resistance to it. So to illicit some reaction some jolts are needed, else we'll say it's boring, despite the atmosphere.

The goal of horror would in my mind be to strip a person of their "mental defenses" and access their subconscious, therefore intensifying their feelings while playing/watching, providing better immersion and an experience. I really think that if something is scary or not largely depends on the mindset of the player at the time. And it will obviously differ from person to person. I prefer my scary stuff in writing and in sound for example.

That aside I think that some horror has to be a part of a complete rpg experience, so some is definitely welcome. I don't think it would work as a main theme in such an expansive game though. I think we're bound to get a couple of scary dungeons if nothing else and some serial murder mystery is popular to have :) .

If any of you played Fable 3, the mid part is how I imagine a fantasy horror. Companion starting to panic due to claustrophobia and some past event, second companion (the dog in this case) sensing something bad but can't tell what it is... kinda cliché, but I really liked it :)

Edited by Aoyagi

I'am 100% or horror in eternity. But we have some big problem here. Player and his party are strong and 50% of the game but at the and they are killing dragons in few hits. In survival horrors player is week and only tthing that he survives is luck, smart and proper use of his surraundings.

I don't want PE to become some lootgathering, restspawning, multikiller-slasher. I want game that i feel powerfull but also know that there is always something that can easly kill me, my party if i don't have luck, don't use proper resorses or simply don't think in fight just clicking on board.

SKYRIM for exaple has hugde problem with that, if you are on 24 lvl (pure mage or fighter) you simply kill almost everything somethimes without even thinking about it i don't want that. I want to see haw DEVS are gonna handle power levels in game. Becouse i want to se a big diffrence beetween farmer with 1 lvl and fighter on 24 lv but i don't want to see that a simple fighter withaout thinking can kill demon or dragon.

Fights with high lvl enemys like dragon shoud be not only hard, they need to have atmosphere that this dragon is not desined to be killed but to putt player to thinking "Oh. crap haw im gonna survive this ?"

And one thing else UNDEAD .... im really bored is i se 400 zombies an i can kill them in 1 hit... this isint a fight.... this kind of fiths is ego-masturbation in my opinon ... I enjoed only fighting lichs and vamires from NWN series .. but only that they where harder to kill ...

I want this Atmosphere > Fight in eternity

I want this Atmosphere > Fight in eternity

This not going to happend. This is why PS:T was not such big 'comercial' success as other more fighting oriented RPGs. It was great in sense of atmosphere an dialogues (this is what makes good roleplay) but missed more complex combat system (read gameplay) for good RPG you need all these elements balanced (Role Playing Game(play))

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"