Darkness Falls on Eternity (more horror, scary themes in eternity)

Horrror in Eternity  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want scary moments in eternity ?

• YES i want Eternity to by more scary, more survuval-horror game
    • Yes horror shoud be one of elemets of game, but not main theme.
    • Yes, but only in some quests i don't want scary world.
    • Undecided, other, don't care
    • No but if they putt them i will still play this game
    • NO ! putting even scary quest will destroy this game
  2. 2. What type of survival horror or just scary themes you want to se in Eternity ?

• Survival horror mystery (hard mysterys that you must solve to push storyline forward)
    • Scary, ugly, gore monsters
    • Battles that you can't win you must fle for your life
    • Feeling that someone is wathing you, something can jump on you in every moment etc.
    • Putting player in worse position then his enemys (Fighting for life not ego)
    • other
    • No elements

Like above i want Eternity to be scary game, i also whoud like to se some survival horror elements, horible secrets, unsolved riddles and become Eternity more mature (not neseserly in drug,sex,rape motives).

I also think that quests and unwinible fight are good idea but i want to now you opinion

Edited by Ulquiorra
  • Like 1

Yes, horror should be one element but not the main theme. Leave that for Amnesia, Slender and other similar games.

Then I voted everything except "other" or "no elements". And I think those speak for themselves. In this post I bring up some ideas and thoughts about certain types of monsters/encounters.

In other types of games you can get the feeling of "Oh my god, what is this eldritch horror I'm facing?" In mainstream rpgs, the feeling is more along the lines of "Oh my god, what awesome loot will this eldritch horror drop when my companions and I skewer it liberally with our many sharp and pointy weapons?"

If I see it, and it's a monster, I have to be able to kill it - maybe with better weaponry or experience than I have now, but eventually. If I can't kill it, it's more likely to annoy me than horrify me in an rpg.

• Like 6

I am all for horror and dark atmosphere, especialy in creepy dungeons and alike. I want darkness and when I say darkness its dark and full of horrors. Thats why I really like idea of light radius/ torches. Darkness improves tension drasticaly. For example how scary is if you know that you stand in large room and 50 meters far away from you is goblin rushing at you X you standing in dark area, your torch enlighten only few meters of your vision and light of it blinding you and you hear creapy noises and movment in darkness? I almost see how hero dropping sweat from his forehead. And then BAAM freaking small goblin. On other hand this is more about atmosphere and tension as I count not imagine too much how isometric view can make you scared or frightened. Its more about tension that you dont know what will happend next, if you have enough supplies to get out etc.

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Dunno if horror even works from an isometric perspective. Unless it's a hovering monster ô.O

First horror games was from isometric perspective. Even Gorky 17 was rpg horror with isometric.gorky-17-pc-023.jpg

gorky-17-2.jpg

And Gorky 17 is good exaple of making good rpg, horror with isomeric. Of course it's old game but the same is BG wy not tu put horror motiveves in isometric game ?

Fallout 1,2 and Waseland 1 also have some horror themes

Edited by Ulquiorra

^^^^^^^

i can second that. Gorky got great atmosphere. But most 'horror' like where boss cutscenes.

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Dunno if horror even works from an isometric perspective. Unless it's a hovering monster ô.O

First horror games was from isometric perspective. Even Gorky 17 was rpg horror with isometric

And exactly how horrified did you feel? :cat:

How horrified did you feel when watching Birds from Hitch****?

First horror games was from isometric perspective. Even Gorky 17 was rpg horror with isometric

Mayby not to much but in gorky it's not isometric foult but graphical level. It was wery old game with low graphical details if you put isometric intu good graphics then it can be more scary then even from first perspectiv but it's harder to input.

• Like 1

Imagine if the birds attacked a party of ultra-badass dragon slayers. Yes, exactly that horrifying.

Mayby not to much but in gorky it's not isometric foult but graphical level. It was wery old game with low graphical details if you put isometric intu good graphics then it can be more scary then even from first perspectiv but it's harder to input.

I don't find that convincing. In an FPS you're in the thick of things, and with help from things like surround sound you can create some nice effects. Plus you're alone/ feeling seperate from others. A party based game with an isometric view? Not a chance. Atmospheric writing is possible, even a gasp of surprise, but chills? No way.

Of course the best examples of SCARY moments are grom 100% first person in 3d but not becouse it's not posible in isometric. It's becouse horrorgames quickly conversed intu 3d schooters. The first horror games was games that your only wepon was stick, flashlight and gasoline not dynamite, shootguns. Somethimes you even don't have any wepon and theres where funny part started.

Heres some good moments from Amnesia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsHllJthhqU

I think hollywood ruined horrors with films like Saw etc. For me horror is fear of uknown, fear from what can happend? what will I do? what will I see? Today everyone need tons of blood and severed limbs and thinks that its horrific. No its not, its only disgusting. I can't watch Saw because I am frightened from it? No I cant watch it because I would puke

• Like 2

I think hollywood ruined horrors with films like Saw etc. For me horror is fear of uknown, fear from what can happend? what will I do? what will I see? Today everyone need tons of blood and severed limbs and thinks that its horrific. No its not, its only disgusting. I can't watch Saw because I am frightened from it? No I cant watch it because I would puke

I'm not arguing against subtlety... the opposite. I think subtle writing and design is the only way to affect the player in an isometric RPG, shock effects just don't work. That's my entire point. I would welcome some sinister plots that convey a feeling of surprise, or grief. It's just that it won't be scary in the conventional sense.

• Like 1

Imagine if the birds attacked a party of ultra-badass dragon slayers. Yes, exactly that horrifying.

If you lie EGO strocking then i sudgest you to play pokemon game. Even Dragon-slayers can be afraid of something and even if they arent they don't start game from DRAGON-slayer level.... and even dragon fight can be scary if you want to be scary.....

if dragons head look like this

989924_f496.jpg

And not like this

Eragon-film-picture.jpg

Then even dragon can be scary.

Edited by Ulquiorra

If you lie EGO strocking then i sudgest you to play pokemon game.

WTH does ego stroking have to do with anything? :facepalm:

BTW that picture was taken from what would translate to first person perspective in a game. See my point? :cat:

For the sake of argument, you have a group of people that can be many things, but they're probably not afraid of dying. A lot of the things you do in CRPGs even look downright suicidal from the start. Quite different to the preferred setup of average Joes getting sucked into horrible circumstances when they just wanted to enjoy life.

If you lie EGO strocking then i sudgest you to play pokemon game.

WTH does ego stroking have to do with anything? :facepalm:

BTW that picture was taken from what would translate to first person perspective in a game. See my point? :cat:

I see but as i sad isometric is not the foult the low graphical lewel is and we know that PE will have way more better graphic then Gorky 17

For the sake of argument, you have a group of people that can be many things, but they're probably not afraid of dying. A lot of the things you do in CRPGs even look downright suicidal from the start. Quite different to the preferred setup of average Joes getting sucked into horrible circumstances when they just wanted to enjoy life.

And thats why PE will never be fully survival-horror. Even playing as typpical adventchurer (?) that fight dragons, orcs, undead etc it at lest can have horror level that explorind cave with undead is not only lootgathering experience but mainly deep emotional experience .... going intu undead crypt or cave filled with drows shoud at least a little scary not a happie loot gathering moment.

Uh, horror has no place in an isometric game? The Butcher begs to differ...

• Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Ahhh! Fresh meat!!!!! good one mstark. Stil love him even now when i think its not so scary after you slay him 100x times :)

• Like 1

I'll see what the devs can come up with and complain later. :disguise:

Uh, horror has no place in an isometric game? The Butcher begs to differ...

You have completely changed my mind. I crapped myself watching that. Not out of fright, but it's results that matter, rite?

I don't find that convincing. In an FPS you're in the thick of things, and with help from things like surround sound you can create some nice effects. Plus you're alone/ feeling seperate from others. A party based game with an isometric view? Not a chance. Atmospheric writing is possible, even a gasp of surprise, but chills? No way.

Even sound and atmospheric writhing can do a trick. If the terrain is in fog and you don't see your enemys until last momemt then even in isomertic can do this.

Residen Evil series also have some isometric but close to the player.

You have completely changed my mind. I crapped myself watching that. Not out of fright, but it's results that matter, rite?

Haha

I was lucky enough to play that game when I was 10, the Butcher scared the living **** out of me when I first opened that, seemingly innocent, door. I don't expect anyone in this forum to actually be scared, but moments like these certainly add to the memorability & legacy of a game that, without them, would be fairly plain. This type of encounter, obviously, has no place in a game like PE (I agree with your previous point), but I believe the idea of it is still valid.

As I think darkness (fear of the unknown) should matter in Project Eternity's dungeons, and items to deal with it (Eg. torches) to be present, I voted "yes" to a horror element. Not in a way that severely impacts the gameplay of a top down story-driven isometric party based tactical combat RPG (tdsdipbtcRPG?), but as something that adds to it.

Edited by mstark
  • Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I agree with sacred_path. What adds even more to this is the fact that the game can be paused almost anytime. A lot of suspense in games comes from the need to react immediately to a threat the game throws at you. But you see, with a pause function, thats not really a problem.

You can still set a frightening mood through atmosphere and good writing, but shock events or anything like that are pretty much out.

• Like 1