I kind of wonder what's holding that huge telephone pole with a fire highdrant on it to his back when he sheathes it?

The video is a great example of how weird and wacky any game can be made to look with a small amount of creative modding.

And come on, you know sometimes it's just a lot of fun to run around with an oversized weapon and smash things!

I hope the game stays true to the actual size limitations required to make things seem appropriate, but I do enjoy an occasional fun mod.

Help is good when asked for,

Better when needed.

Gizmo:

Since Fallout 3 does not have a weapon strength requirement, you have failed to demonstrate your point. Besides, a sufficiently strong character (say one with biomechanical implants) should be able to wield that implement.

Don't be absurd. Fallout 3 [of course] has nothing to do with the example; the imagery alone makes the idea laughable... the physics make it impossible even if they are strong enough to lift it. The video just demonstrates how silly it is.

Hmm... you initially failed miserably to explain your point, then call me absurd for me for noting your logical fallacy? Ahh.... right. Carry on, nothing to see here...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hey thanks for the update even if it is completely and totally unimpresive. I like to see where your are direction is going for the world and creatures.

Cool to see the very basics but really there is no need.

It's like me posting a mix with out any of the FX on it.

Well of course. It's polite and useful commentary like this that I find particularly inspiring. I'll get right on this, just for you.

Why thank you sire and I tip my hat to you.

I look forward to the updates that show the art direction of the game. I know that is the basic of the basic.

For me however I would moderate what I show as the creation of my work. Of course you guys aren't trying to impress right now but show the process behind the development.

Keep doing the updates and stay positive.

I will not be afraid of presenting unfinished or exploratory work to this community. This is not your typical game development and marketing paradigm. People have pre-paid to not only get a great game, in 18 months, but to also get a view (and in some cases collaborate) into the game development experience, now, and to the end. This update was clear right in the beginning, in spite of the humour, that we are in a foundational, groundworky, nitty-gritty stage. In order for us to be successful, we must build and test things in a very crude state. So that we maximize our time, all early asset development must be very flexible and easily edited to allow for rapid iteration. This is how we will effectively get to a state of confidence in scale and capability with respect to all visual features and performance, in the game. There is a natural order to game development. The initial steps are rarely shown to the public, because of the often less "impressive" aspect of it, and because publishers usually restrict access to game content in the early stages. More often, developers go "dark" for several months, sometimes years, before they show ANYTHING! We are, instead, embracing the complete "Kickstarter" experience that people have paid for. This kind of transparency comes with obvious risks: it takes time to assemble, write, and respond to responses to updates and we expose ourselves to much greater criticism.

But make no mistake! We know that what people write and more importantly--how they write it--,says more about them than it does about us or what we are doing. If the feedback is relevant, thought out, and not abusive, it is far more likely to be considered by us as important and useful. Words vomited in hateful threads are tainted by drama and ego and are therefore useless to me. In the end, this game will be great! and everybody who contributed to the kickstarter will have been able to witness, why! If their feed back was "useful" then they might also see the part they played in this development experience, as well.

Art Direction of World and Creatures will be coming, but not this year. ;-)

• Like 19

The rendering of the house i very very similar to a historic building in out town, the Romanesque house:

romanicka_kuca1_2.jpg

YES!! this was a key reference image that I used. Again this drawing was exploratory, to contribute to the conversation of architectural style. It's not necessarily going to be in the game. There are others, and they are all color, but i didn't post them yet. Can you post the buildings location in Google maps?? Are there other buildings in your town like this, because yes! we do like Romanesque.

So from the mention of cloth physics and the model on display, can we infer that visible cloaks as an equipable item are in? I'm not sure if this has been confirmed elsewhere, but it is something i have been hoping for. My ranger character just wouldn't be the same without a cloak. . . (ideally a hooded one :thumbsup: ), and this is something that all too often is absent from rpg's. . .

Exactly, I can't wait until my rogue gets a hooded cloak and walks around with the cloth moving and wrinkling with every step.

We are wanting them too! But it needs to look good and perform well, so that it doesn't distract from the experience. So, we are doing our tests with a variety of physics based techniques. When we have something that looks good and doesn't cause unsolveable problems we will call it a feature and let you all know.
  • Like 8

Thank you Rob for reigning in the troll fest and reminding us how lucky we are to get to see some of the early development of an RPG.

Personally, I can't wait to see what's next!

Every time you show us something it better helps me understand how you guys have been able to make so many of the games that are on my all time favorites list.

• Like 2

Better when needed.

Oh gosh! I think there are some brains in that nosebleed I just had! :w00t:

Edited by Ywerion
  • Like 1

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

Rob Nesler of course your game will be great you guys will make it great.

When you have a passion for something that passion will drive you to make the best product you can for your audience and yourself.

Your also a fine writer ^_-

I have to start composing music for a game in a month and I will be putting as much passion into the score as you will in your art work. "Passion is the key"

Till next time! *your next art update*

I like this saying here:

This kind of transparency comes with obvious risks: it takes time to assemble, write, and respond to responses to updates and we expose ourselves to much greater criticism.

and yes you do.

• Like 1

So far, I think the developers have been doing a great job in writing about the game development in a way even I can understand (And I appreciate it). Also, it's a pleasant surprise that some veteran developers including Brain Fargo come up with interesting views/ideas through Kickstarter campaigns. In fact, Wastelands 2 team even have gone as far as crowd outsourcing.

BTW, I don't know much about internet board software but, if there is someone capable of this, could you implement developer post search function, most liked by day/week, and something like "sort by liked" in the search interface? I don't think there are many people who have time to read every single post/thread. Nowadays, I can only check the update threads and skim through them.

Edited by Wombat
  • Like 1

I set my user preferences to email me when a post is made in a thread I'm following, then I can read the post made in my email and delete the email, or click on the link that will take me right to the post made.

I think it's kind of spiffy .... Yeah, I said spiffy. :)

Edited by sirchet

Better when needed.

What's a NeoGAF?

It's when the main character in the Matrix screws up and embarrasses himself.

(Sorry....)

I've been really enjoying the constant updates for this project, and have yet to be disappointed. Thanks for keeping us all apprised of the situation, Rob. :) It is really interesting to hear things from all parts of the project.

Edited by Water

The rendering of the house i very very similar to a historic building in out town, the Romanesque house:

YES!! this was a key reference image that I used. Again this drawing was exploratory, to contribute to the conversation of architectural style. It's not necessarily going to be in the game. There are others, and they are all color, but i didn't post them yet. Can you post the buildings location in Google maps?? Are there other buildings in your town like this, because yes! we do like Romanesque.

For some reason, I find this really awesome.

That someone came to this forum, looked at the pics, thought one of them reminded of something in his town, mentions it....and it turns out they're right and it was a major part of the inspiration.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For some reason, I find this really awesome.

That someone came to this forum, looked at the pics, thought one of them reminded of something in his town, mentions it....and it turns out they're right and it was a major part of the inspiration.

Wow, I agree. Talk about a random cool factor there.

HEY. HEY LOOK. That building has a handrail and wall around the 2nd floor door! Please add those to your reference WIP graphic. Yes, that is the extent of my current criticism.

Okay, carry on...

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

BTW, I don't know much about internet board software but, if there is someone capable of this, could you implement developer post search function

You can get a search page for the most recent posts by a specific developer (or any other forum user) like this:

1. Click the developer's name above one of his posts, to get to his profile page
  2. Click "Find Content" near the top-right
  3. Click "Only posts" near the bottom-left

Then you can bookmark that page, or "App Tab" it, or whatever.

Here are a few examples:

Their profiles show that all of them are either in the the "Developers" or "Developers+" forum user groups, but I haven't found a way to list all groups members or search for posts from all group members in one go.

I will not be afraid of presenting unfinished or exploratory work to this community.

Thank you! I love the updates and transparency so far.

Confirmed: Art Direction of World and Creatures coming January 1st!

• Like 1

What's a NeoGAF?

It's when the main character in the Matrix screws up and embarrasses himself.

(Sorry....)

I've been really enjoying the constant updates for this project, and have yet to be disappointed. Thanks for keeping us all apprised of the situation, Rob. :) It is really interesting to hear things from all parts of the project.

I thought that was a NeoOof! Heh heh Good One!

Better when needed.

I will not be afraid of presenting unfinished or exploratory work to this community. This is not your typical game development and marketing paradigm. People have pre-paid to not only get a great game, in 18 months, but to also get a view (and in some cases collaborate) into the game development experience, now, and to the end. This update was clear right in the beginning, in spite of the humour, that we are in a foundational, groundworky, nitty-gritty stage. In order for us to be successful, we must build and test things in a very crude state. So that we maximize our time, all early asset development must be very flexible and easily edited to allow for rapid iteration. This is how we will effectively get to a state of confidence in scale and capability with respect to all visual features and performance, in the game. There is a natural order to game development. The initial steps are rarely shown to the public, because of the often less "impressive" aspect of it, and because publishers usually restrict access to game content in the early stages. More often, developers go "dark" for several months, sometimes years, before they show ANYTHING! We are, instead, embracing the complete "Kickstarter" experience that people have paid for. This kind of transparency comes with obvious risks: it takes time to assemble, write, and respond to responses to updates and we expose ourselves to much greater criticism.

But make no mistake! We know that what people write and more importantly--how they write it--,says more about them than it does about us or what we are doing. If the feedback is relevant, thought out, and not abusive, it is far more likely to be considered by us as important and useful. Words vomited in hateful threads are tainted by drama and ego and are therefore useless to me. In the end, this game will be great! and everybody who contributed to the kickstarter will have been able to witness, why! If their feed back was "useful" then they might also see the part they played in this development experience, as well.

Rob, I have a question regarding "transparency." Whats so different with the Kickstarter model versus traditional game development where those other studios can't talk about the game at all and theres worry of trade secrets being leaked, NDA's, etc, where as Kickstarter seems to give you freedom to do as you please.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

Ehr.. if that comment got Rob angry I seriously hope he delegates the feedback gathering operation to someone else. NeoGAF is going down harsh on that WIP art.

I wouldn't describe Rob's response as angry at all.

Perhaps you're right. Since I'm one of the few people here that's a bit more critical of the materials put out so far, I'm just a bit worried that the art team will end up focusing too much on the tone of certain criticism and ignore the feedback :p Pure selfishness, but y'know.