Unusual terrain and architectural features you'd like to see?

Besides the normal gamut of terrain and medieval structures found in many a RPG, what novelties would you like to see? Here's a few thoughts of my own:

• Crannog -- an artificial island historically built in the lakes and rivers of Ireland and Scotland.
  • Laager -- merchant wagons arranged to form a small fortification.
  • Tower house -- a combination tower-keep and home.
  • Jettying -- in which the upper floors project out above the lower levels.
  • Moors -- I don't think I've seen a well-done representation of a scottish moor in a game; cold, wind-swept, rolling rocky scrubland.
  • Hoodoos -- row upon row of them, as in Bryce Canyon, Utah.
  • Sinking island -- This is an ocean island that rises above the waves then later submerges; not as a result of tides, but because of magic.
  • River island -- reachable only by bridge or boat; a nice location for a fortified frontier settlement in a dangerous region.
  • Tidal flats -- muddy, marshy, and bisected by channels, with tidal inflows and outflows.

• Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Honestly, if it fits, I'd really like to see some sort of non-euclidean, Escherian dream/soul-state where things are just all over the place. The world is all flipped inside-out. Show us what the new "Unity+OEI" engine can do!

For some odd reason the only example that I can come up with right now is this:

A very awesome game.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Ooh, time to get creative :)

I'd enjoy a fair bit of otherworldy things to give PE a unique flavour. Floating castles. (still hoping for the endless paths to be a floating dominant landscape feature)

Mushroom forests. (though, that can easily be done wrong)

craters with unique ecosystems.

Underground rivers in the desert (with the occasional surface breaking)

A labyrinth within a city, hidden in the slums

Floating islands (maybe not original, but I still like em) over the city.

A open bar (like you'd find on the beach in tropical tourist places) in the middle of a savannah (because of the uncanny)

waterslide highways

Rooftop gardens

really there is so much that could be done, to give the world a unique and otherworldy flavour.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

craters with unique ecosystems.

Something that might be interesting to see is a terrain configuration caused by a powerful magical battle. A huge, scorched impact crater with chaotic magic loose on the interior might be one such example.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

A real tower. Not one of those standard RPG towers where you've got enough room to battle two balrogs at the same time, but a tower that's really cramped, where your characters have to walk single file. It'll also give you a reason to keep your fighters supplied with bows and arrows.

Yes.. a real well-done spooky moor-area would be really awesome.. layered in fog.. ~ and speaking of fog.. I'd also love to see an old fishing village covered in fog (along with a creepy quest a la carpenters "The Fog" [1980] or H.P. Lovecraft's "Dagon").

Cyphre's Companions Pack v0.75.2 | Cyphre's Dual-Wieldable Flails & Heavy Flails v1.2 | Cyphre's PrC Pack v0.75 | Cyphre's Remove Annoying Effects Extension (Tortoise Shell) v1.0

1equwd7qnahnqayd4y2s7xk.jpg

"O, the life of the Druid is the life of the land.

We are one with the dark earth on which we proudly stand.

One with the Mother who has suckled us from birth,

Her streams and her rivers, we are one with the earth;

One with the Father, whose oak supports the sky,

Who gazes on us daily with his great, immortal Eye..."