Improving the romances

In the first game i found the romance to be too shallow and to quick. Not only that but i know Bioware were trying to keep the rating down. But a more mature, sopistated romance is nessacry. I found how Bastila ending the romance so sundenely annoying making the hole experience hollow. Make the romances mean something. Something important. If that mean more that 2 endings so be it.

I don't like romances. They always seem forced and artificial. I'd rather they focus on the actual game. If a romance is included the player should have full control. In Kotor, Bastila asked all the questions and you just reply. It would be better to initiate conversation yourself and have various questions the player can ask -- not a single line "you look bothered, can I help" or something.

Romance dialogue options:

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow!"

"Oh that's just what we call pillow talk, baby, that's all."

"Gimme some sugar, baby."

"Honey, you got real ugly."

"Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store."

"Yo she-bitch, lets go!"

If a romance is included the player should have full control. In Kotor, Bastila asked all the questions and you just reply. It would be better to initiate conversation yourself and have various questions the player can ask -- not a single line "you look bothered, can I help" or something.

Agreed.I would also prefer that there are more characters that you can "fall in love", not only Bastila :rolleyes:

Life... is strength. That is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world

I haven't really experienced the romance with Bastila in KOTOR (I haven't finished the game yet - though spoilers are irrelevant, I figured out the general story arc ages ago) but there's something very trite popping up in dialogue on occasion that's blandly suggestive of a "romance" (if it could even be called that). I haven;t pursued it because the "correct" responses are terribly lame. If romances must be in, do make them more interesting with more PC interaction, not just responding to the love interest's interrogations with some cheesey line, as Kefka points out.

newlogo.gif

A classic case where "less is more" (like lingerie B) )

Since Kotor was a game for all age groups, some of the younger audiences might need the guiding hand to figure out, what they were actually supposed to do :p

As for me, I prefer the way it was handled in PS:T, you had to work hard *and* pick the right dialogue options, and acquire the necessary skills just to flirt around with Annah, and about half a kiss was what you got for all your effort. I appreciated that kiss more than a night with Viconia, Aerie and Jaheira together :rolleyes:

A little innuendo is ok, but with style please ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

As for me, I prefer the way it was handled in PS:T, you had to work hard *and* pick the right dialogue options, and acquire the necessary skills just to flirt around with Annah, and about half a kiss was what you got for all your effort. I appreciated that kiss more than a night with Viconia, Aerie and Jaheira together :rolleyes:

A little innuendo is ok, but with style please ?

Exactly.

And, it fits well with the established Star Wars stories. There was all that Han-Leia quasi-adversarial banter, and one heavy kiss. And that was enough. (I'm not counting the implied nookie in ep. 2.)

Anyhow, I was one of those players who bailed on the romance plotlines early in KotOR. The obvious 'romance responses' were all so groaningly awful (much like ep. 2, I might add) that I couldn't bring myself to chose them, even just to see where they led.

...who wouldna appreciate a kiss from ANNAH...mmmmm...

~drools~

...ah, sorry...got distracted... :rolleyes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

More options is good. But make sure that romanse is not broken because of some sidequest. It should continue to develop even during sidequests.

And make sure it can lead somewhere even if it is just a declaration of eternal love. :o

I don't think the romance should advance by means of full control of the PC, but neither do it i think it should solely depend on NPCs. A combination of PC-driven interactions, as well as NPC banter, would likely be best. I'm not keen on having to prod romanceable NPCs for reactions, just as i don't want them to be prodding me at inconvenient times. A combination of both methods (self-initiative and NPC initative) would likely provide a better development and timing of the romance.

O'course, if you really want to improve them, ditch them all togheter. Best improvement it can get.

am not sure how the biowarians came to embrace their current romance model. you gots these tangential romance stories that seems to be lifted from comic books or teen tv soap operas

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

more options, and PLEASE, don't forget the girl gamers out here. we didn't even get a kiss with carth!

i think that romances in an RPG actually heighten the gaming experience for me. i would run into a fight very haphazardly, lightsabers blazing, just to protect 'the boyfriend' as i called him, much to mr jinx's laughter. the best thing about kotor was that it allowed you to develop the relationship. the worst was that after the declaration of love, it all got dropped like a hot potato. no dialogue to suggest anything was different, that you were together, etc.

also, um, not to be picky, but atton rand looks like a drag queen. can somebody get on that? 'cause i'm a little worried.

Yet, like a juvenile, you rush out and buy their games.

Seriously, romances don't bother me one way or another. Don't really need them in a RPG; but if they are there and add role-playing and soemd rama; I say go for it.

I do agree, however, that Rino-Squall is probaly the best romance in any video game.

How can anyone like Annah? She's a pathetic whiney little girl who looked like she belonged in diapers. FFG, on the other hand, is a REAL woman. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

How can anyone like Annah? She's a pathetic whiney little girl who looked like she belonged in diapers. FFG, on the other hand, is a REAL woman. :)

Tell us when you are going to start french kissing FFG, I'll sit back and watch :)

(*Mumbling something about the funnny sideeffects of a succubus' kiss*)

At least Annah only left teeth marks on you :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

:D

I know when I'm beaten

always feel rushed and juvenile

Like pretty much most of Bioware work to me ...

'cause the first thing that comes to mind when you thinks of BG2 is that it feels like it was rushed.

HA!

and no doubt some kids equate a mature rating with maturity, but that is not Gromnir's way of thinking.

regardless, drak is free to voice his opinion... and each time he does so we feel a little less guilty 'bout dismissing him so readily.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I said most Grommir ... most.

NwN was rushed, it shown with the large amount of bugs and broken scripts and even BG2 feel they rushed some parts of it, true that is likely just uncompleted quests implementation and lets not go over Throne of Bhall.

And no, its not the label that means maturity (I feel a lot of times "M" rated is more like "its M rated for teens to sneak in and watch/play") but BG2 is certainly no Silent Hill 2 in maturity (its more like Silent Hill 3).

drakron.png