Yarrrrr! Need I say more, matey?

Yarrrrr!  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Sea calling you matey?

• Yes
    • No

Does the sea call out to you? Does the pounding surf tease you from your dreams, filling your mind with visions of strange and distant islands? If so, then you may be looking to explore the seas — and in order to do that, you’ll need a ship.

By charting a course on the World Map, either written by players or bought from npc mapmakers, one could easily travel the seas. After the course is set, hand your map to the tillerman to commence your journey. He may even decide to tell you a story or two during travel.

During combat at sea, ships take damage. This could be repaired via somekind of context menu from the tillerman. You would actually need some cloths and wood to perform such repairs.

We could possibly get some decent dlc's involving pirates, legendary sea monsters & several other bizarre encounters (Shipwreck survivors, Scrolls/Messages in Bottles, Floating Treasures...)

hsvthf.png

Edited by Felithvian
  • Like 3

In theory, this could be a fun idea. I can't remember having seen this done well in an RPG before though. Even some of the Ultima games where you could sail the seas freely, the actual sailing was uninspiring. To make this interresting in a game like PE (or how I think PE will be), you would probably not be able to move freely on the seas, and thus everything happening would be scripted and set as encounters and most of the travelling choices would be done by some dialogue box. Or so I would think. I am not sure if that would give me the "sailing the seas, yarrr!"- feeling at all.

Aye ramming speed matey, I have a hankering for the finest of booty. To plunder the poop deck, and make lasses shudder in fear when faced with me plank. Every port of negotiable virtue shall welcome me salty mariners, and leave us loose of coinpurse for the long voyage ahead, for it be dry and thirsty work on the high seas. Aye me one good eye shall weep bitter tears to be deprived of such warm havens.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Actual ship to ship battles (vs. chrs. fighting H2H on a ship deck...), for me, only work in strategy games...I'm having a hard time imagining it in a 2d/isometric party game where it wouldn't feel out of place because of UI methods or other concerns. Not saying it's impossible, but I don't have a picture of it in my head.

But the notion of pirates/piratey-themes and quests being a part of the game is often appealing. Pirates the P.E. expansion ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You remember the githyanki attack in BG2, happens on the ship at sea. A small little map with a boat on a sea. Sea battles could be easily done in PE in the same manor, bigger boats provide more area over which to battle. A small map with a sea monster attacking a ship you are on, another map with two ships side by side; you are attacked by pirates, three ships side by side, you are coming to the aid of a ship being boarded by pirates etc.

Randomize the ships and events a little and you have a nice little sea battle scenario you could encounter any time you travel by sea.

• Like 2

I like the thought of adventures at the sea, good idea :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Never played Ultima Online. From the pictures, that looks like it'd feel awkward to me. Again, not saying it wouldn't/doesn't work. But I don't think I'd personally like it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sid Meier's Pirates

sid-meiers-pirates-live-the-life-20070122053124862.jpg

Wondering if I should relocate that disc...

Pirates_610x458.PNG

This was great a great game EDIT: :facepalm:

sid-meiers-pirates-20050706022109782.jpg

There's also an RPG for the snes (top-down classic) where you control the oceans~ Uncharted Waters. But they were purely based at sea. Same thing with Suikoden IV. Final Fantasy games touch good ground with general world exploration (conceptually). Well, if Obsidian painted the entire map as one entity, one huge isometric canvas with no transitions or "areas" (but one giant sandbox area) then it'd be easier to have ships and the like I think, that'd fulfill a dream.

Unrelated, but it would be fun if you could find the edge of the world, still half-painted in the game with a sign/stone (encarved with "W.I.P.").

Edited by Osvir