So, here's hoping for a Minsc like Character!

Minsc was okay. But one is enough.

"It is an extraordinary act of courage to come to know a stranger's pain. To even consider such a thing demands a profound dispensation, a willingness to wear someone else's chains, to taste their suffering, to see with one's own eyes the hue cast on all things -- the terrible stain that is despair."

-Tulas Shorn

"Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson

Minsc had his moments, but he was pretty one-note. I'm cool with P:E having an earnest idiot that provides comic relief from time to time, but just give the character a little more variety and depth.

It would be interesting to see the conversations with a Minsc-like idiot NPC and a low intelligence PC, though :lol:

Yeah, Khelghar was pretty damn awesome. And hey, he even had a fairly fleshed out character arc, that was kind of a parody of character arcs for his kind of character (Quite a Character he was). Character

Also, I'm a bit surprised by how much people on this board don't seem to like him. I mean sure, hes kind of the Holy Grail (Quotes) of RPG geekiness, but I didn't realize he rubbed that many people the wrong way.

Few of us are teenagers still, I bet. He was good the first couple of times. But the constant clamoring for Minsc or Boo can get pretty grating.

I don't think I was a teenager the first time I played BG all those years ago... :p God I feel old now.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

• 3 weeks later...

Magic is impressive, but now MINSC leads! SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!

I love Minsc. He's easily one of my favorite characters from the BG series. Perhaps it's because I played BG 2 before 1 so I couldn't imagine a game without him, but he's who I usually go with. He was many troupes in one; barbarian yokel from the east, questing warrior in the service of a lady, dullard do-gooder. No other character can be more Minsc than Minsc, so we should leave him to the BG series where he belongs. We will see him perhaps in BG 3 (should that ever manifest).

Obsidian Entertainment should out-do themselves on these 8 ( or 12, or 15) companions. We can all expect compelling companions.

Agelastos's idea of a Edmund Blackadder-esque mage sounds great. Someone a bit between Xan and Edwin, more optimistic than Xan and less malevolent than Edwin. Perhaps the Drow-like Mage they've shown will fill this role.

The dude on the left.

project-eternity-kickstarter1.png?f0f9df

If Minsc is to be referenced just let it be a squeak from a hamster. That's enough. We'll know.

If there have to be comic relief characters in the game please let it be NPCs but not companions. I really dislike playing an epic story while feeling part of a travelling circus full of oddballs or freaks.

I don't normally play 'good' characters and usually play 'soft' classes (rogues/mages) so having one of the main meatshields be an irritating moron that I can't leave behind or I'm mush for quite some time is really not what I'm looking for.

I'm only about 5 hours into BG2 (first time) so maybe my opinion isn't worth much but I haven't been that impressed with Minsc as a comic relief character thusfar. I think Shale from DA:O is much more interesting and humorous. Minsc just seems kinda cheezy and trying too hard to me. And just not funny frankly. People have different senses of humor though.

Shale though---solid.

Edited by NoxNoctum

Minsc was a great companion to have in the party and very humorous , I hope we have someone similar in PE.

I can understand people don't want the exact same stereotype character in PE, so maybe we can have a barbarian called Ninsc and he could have a pet Turtle instead of a Hamster. That way it won't be familiar?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I really don't think, that people want Minsc , because he was such a good comic relief, Personally when I think something like Minsc what I think of is character that isn't despertly prove how deep he is and make everything complicated, I think killer robot from KOTOR is the same thing just that he is evil, I am all for complex characters and so on but one character that isn't trying to make everything in to some sort of deep philosophical discussion, and simply goes" I want kill meatbags, so I will kill meatbags" or "This is good and helps people so I will do this"

Both characters are kind of a comic relief, but their "comic reliefie" stuffs comes from the fact that they are simple, I know that peole like to say that Minsc was retarded , and supposedly this is why people found him sometimes funny, and/or annoying , but to tell truth I may have played slightly to idealistic characters, but I sometimes, caught myself on thinking that while he is very blunt he is absolutly right.

To make it short. NO for Minsc in P:E YES for one character that thousen't try to make stuff complicated.

Oh God, No. Please don't[ make another character like MInsc; he's irritating. if they have to copy a character personality that's crazy, then I wouldn't mind having another character like Xzar, who was crazy in an insane evil way (thanks to his awesome lines in Baldur's Gate 1).

Edited by Bill Gates' Son