So, here's hoping for a Minsc like Character!

Please, please, no painfully unfunny "game humour", hilariously zany characters included. If the game needs humour it could actually be... funny.

• Like 2

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

This is going to sound like blasphemy to a lot of you but most of the "humor" characters in BG always came across as kind of corny to me and I usually kept to the more serious ones. I guess at the end of the day it's different strokes for different folks but I'm not really a fan of vg humor(especially in fantasy) unless it's really good a la portal.

Edited by jezz555
  • Like 1

This is going to sound like blasphemy to a lot of you but most of the "humor" characters in BG always came across as kind of corny to me and I usually kept to the more serious ones. I guess at the end of the day it's different strokes for different folks but I'm not really a fan of vg humor(especially in fantasy) unless it's really good a la portal.

No, I get what you're saying. I didn't like Minsc too much either.

I tend to not like characters that rely on a gimmick to be funny.

Give me a well written companion over a "funny" gimmicky companion any day of the week.

• Like 2

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

@Hormalakh: Not so "laughing out loud" funny but more "chuckle" funny. Just having Minsc in my party made the game feel more light-hearted. Don't know if it is mods or no mods but a lot of banters with Minsc was funny. With Imoen as well, and Khalid, and Dynaheir and Jaheira. Or Jaheira and Imoen banter. I'm pretty sure that lots of it was modded in though.

Blasphemy I know, being a BG fan and all, but I found Minsc amusing for a very very short time. Then he quickly moved way over into annoying territory and stayed there. The 'miniature giant space hamster', IMO, had no place in the setting at all (I found it jarring and it just served to throw me out of the mood of the game) and the 'lovable idiot' role grated on me quite quickly. I don't mind quirky and/or humorous characters, but please not another Minsc.

• Like 2

So basically everyone wants a comic relief eastern european sounding retard to laugh at okay. How about trying Italian this time around. What is the ideal loveable retard?

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

After reading this thread I kind of want them to add a Minsc character even more now. It'd be a double dose of comedy because first we'd get the character, and then we'd get the forum whine fest from all the people who apparently are too cool for jokes.

• Like 1

After reading this thread I kind of want them to add a Minsc character even more now. It'd be a double dose of comedy because first we'd get the character, and then we'd get the forum whine fest from all the people who apparently are too cool for jokes.

So why does disliking the particular brand of humor that Minsc embodies equate to being too cool for jokes?

I do like funny characters, but I just don't like Minsc.

• Like 1

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

LOL! Boo could be a hallucination/spirit/soul that only a drug abusing character can see (Forton in this case, or the Player character if he goes down that road too). It'd be fun, Forton rambling to an imaginary friend all game until you get up to the same level of addiction as him you'll start to believe him. It'd be a reward for pursuing addiction. It could be fun dialogue conversations too "Who the hell are you talking too!?".

Forton should totally host tea parties for his invisible friends. Except with opium and no tea

Blasphemy I know, being a BG fan and all, but I found Minsc amusing for a very very short time. Then he quickly moved way over into annoying territory and stayed there. The 'miniature giant space hamster', IMO, had no place in the setting at all (I found it jarring and it just served to throw me out of the mood of the game) and the 'lovable idiot' role grated on me quite quickly. I don't mind quirky and/or humorous characters, but please not another Minsc.

I'm glad that Minsc was in, because he gave the option for those who liked it as a comic relief in a game, whilst there where darker and more serious companions for everyone who wants that. The point with the companions, in my opinion, is not only should they cater to different play styles (combat), but also cater to different preferences for "roleplaying" purposes* (out of combat). One character might be the best Barbarian in the game, but doesn't fit at all with my playstyle or the group I've got (the player "vision", kind of how I feel Kivan and Aerie not fitting in my current build in BG2).

*This is why I think that 1 companion could have a "something"~romance-ish (and not all of them)...

Edited by Osvir

So why does disliking the particular brand of humor that Minsc embodies equate to being too cool for jokes?

'Cause everyone, except hipsters who are too cool for it, likes Minsc.

Edited by Dream

You can have levity and not make a comedy, humour and still be dark. I didn't mind Minsc's corniness, because it was his persona. he was a nice but stupid man, who was kind and pleasant despite the horrors of the world.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

'Cause everyone, except hipsters who are too cool for it, likes Minsc.

Eh? People are allowed to dislike characters without being hipsters aren't they?

I mean sure, they're obviously bad people, but that doesn't make em hipsters. (Twas a joke)

You can have levity and not make a comedy, humour and still be dark. I didn't mind Minsc's corniness, because it was his persona. he was a nice but stupid man, who was kind and pleasant despite the horrors of the world.

Yes! Thats what it was. I kept looking back at the character, and thinking "What was it about Minsc that made him my favorite character?" And that was it. It's also why I loved Keldorn, who was a geniuenly good person, who always put whats good in front of his code (Execpt with Drow).

That, and he was hilarious. Although obviously some people disagree with that, but hey, it doesn't make him less funny to me.

• Like 1

right there with ya bro.

So basically everyone wants a comic relief eastern european sounding retard to laugh at okay. How about trying Italian this time around. What is the ideal loveable retard?

This was funny. But it also raises a moral question, is it okay to laugh at Minsc for being mentally challenged or is it just perpetuating prejudices? Is laughing at retards in a VG kosher or should we all be ashamed?

This was funny. But it also raises a moral question, is it okay to laugh at Minsc for being mentally challenged or is it just perpetuating prejudices? Is laughing at retards in a VG kosher or should we all be ashamed?

Minsc was quite a bit too eloquent to be retarded. So you're safe.

If you want to laugh at a simpleton depends on how much of a high brow person you are. The rest of us just found him adorable :wub:

Truth: I vow to help the Anarchist cause.

Lie: I vow to help the Anarchist cause.

which one is lawful and which one is chaotic oh god help no stop hpelp

And why is he badly designed?

Class: Ranger - exactly where?! He even don't have the minimum stats of the class. He even claim to be a berserker so either he should be Fighter/Berserker or Barbarian.

He has useless item (Boo) taking one of his quick item slots.

He always talking about big swords when he can have other weapons equipped.

Numerous times he breaks quest because someone thought it would be a good idea.

He is annoying.

He claims to led his life devoted to a vow and code but he is...chaotic.

And so on.

He's supposed to be a Rashemi berserker, but since there was no Barbarian or Berserker class in BG1 they made him a Ranger instead (closest class available) and gave him a negative Wisdom score so that he couldn't cast any spells. They added the Barbarian class, the Berserker specialization, and the Rage ability in BG2. Instead of changing his class and risking to piss off the fans they decided to keep him a Ranger and just give him the Rage ability instead. The reason he uses a greatsword and has a Chaotic alignment is to make it more obvious that he is indeed a Rashemi berserker and not just some Ranger.

All Rashemi berserkers are sworn to serve and obey the hathrans (Rashemi witches), despite the fact that most of them are Chaotic and NONE of them are Lawful.

It's all part of FR lore.

Great post, but it seems like something is... missing. From the end, specifically. I think it could use a little bit more...

ZdsKK.gif

I... what?! :huh:

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

I liked Minsc, he was straightforward, funny and honest with no pretensions. I would not want another Minsc, but someone like him in that they don't try to force some viewpoint or philosophy of their's on you like Morrigan or on some great crusade, rather simple. Khelgar I think fulfilled the same role in NWN2 I think: his great goal was to go around punching people in bars and other than that he just tried to do the right thing and never assumed he was right.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I didn't like Minsc before it was cool.

I think I may have killed him . . . probably around the same time I was contemplating letting Viconia throttle Aerie.

• Like 2

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I liked Minsc, he was straightforward, funny and honest with no pretensions. I would not want another Minsc, but someone like him in that they don't try to force some viewpoint or philosophy of their's on you like Morrigan or on some great crusade, rather simple. Khelgar I think fulfilled the same role in NWN2 I think: his great goal was to go around punching people in bars and other than that he just tried to do the right thing and never assumed he was right.

Yeah, Khelghar was pretty damn awesome. And hey, he even had a fairly fleshed out character arc, that was kind of a parody of character arcs for his kind of character (Quite a Character he was). Character

Also, I'm a bit surprised by how much people on this board don't seem to like him. I mean sure, hes kind of the Holy Grail (Quotes) of RPG geekiness, but I didn't realize he rubbed that many people the wrong way.

Yeah, Khelghar was pretty damn awesome. And hey, he even had a fairly fleshed out character arc, that was kind of a parody of character arcs for his kind of character (Quite a Character he was). Character

Also, I'm a bit surprised by how much people on this board don't seem to like him. I mean sure, hes kind of the Holy Grail (Quotes) of RPG geekiness, but I didn't realize he rubbed that many people the wrong way.

Few of us are teenagers still, I bet. He was good the first couple of times. But the constant clamoring for Minsc or Boo can get pretty grating.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html