So, here's hoping for a Minsc like Character!

Sure, P:E is going to be a pretty serious most of the time, but what made Baulders Gate, and Planescape awesome was our good friend Minsc, and our great friend the disemboided skull, Murry (Or wait, the other one).

So far, I'mma thinkin' Forton is the most likely to run that direction. What do you guys think?

• Like 3

I'd rather have an Edwin-like character. I always thought that's what Edmund Blackadder would be like if he was a wizard.

• Like 6

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

It's gotta be Edair.

ô_o

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Basically you want a badly designed, ridiculously stated character that lacks any depth and his whole concept is "idiot with a hamster". Sure put in a Village idiot character. Just don't make him a companion.

Or maybe, just maybe, we like entertaining characters who are genuinely funny, and straight forward.

We don't need everybody moping around because life sucks so much, sometimes we just want a good old fashioned idiot with a heart of gold, who is exactly what he looks like.

And please, don't say he's badly designed, because that means absoluetely nothing in this context. I mean, how is he badly designed? Is his character look bad? Is his writing contridictory, or uninteresting? Is he annoying? What exactly makes him "badly designed"

It's okay for you to dislike the character, but don't assume anyone else agrees with you.

• Like 6

It's gotta be Edair.

ô_o

As far as uncontrollabe fits of rage go, yes. I can totally see that in the concept art.

But talking to rodents? No.

Edair could be semi-suicidal though, always looking for that one opportunity to shed his mortal coil and make his ancestors proud.

He claims to led his life devoted to a vow and code but he is...chaotic.

I'd just like to say that having a code or taking a vow, and even keeping it, isn't essentially a lawful trait. The context means a lot more than the actual action. For example, I've always felt that Minsc's oath to protect "his witch" was less because of duty and more about the warm fuzzies he feels by doing it.

One topic, I'd rather see a Jan.

Edited by Corvus Metus

Well, I definitely like memorable characters, but they don't have to be ... like Minsc ... in order to be memorable. Minsc/Boo were fun, but I found others to be just as fun.

There's plenty of exaggerated personality quirks/archtypes that could be present and I do think that the game could use at least one colorful/odd companion. If they're all uptight, formal-speaking, "save the people/trees!" type folk, that would be ... rather dull. imo.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, here's hoping people realize Obsidian don't have to copy paste characters/character archetypes from previous games in order to make worthwhile characters in a worthwhile game.

Edited by Umberlin
  • Like 11

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

So, here's hoping people realize Obsidian don't have to copy paste characters/character archetypes from previous games in order to make worthwhile characters in a worthwhile game.

Yep, While I really liked Minsc in Baldurs gate (easily one of my more favorite characters) .I don't want to have just Minsc 2.0 I mean I want character that is quirky and that is good, but I don't want just a copy of Minsc

I don't think the goal here should be cut & pasting old BG and P:T characters and changing their names "for old time's sake." The idea also betrays a lack of faith on the part of the idea-proposer in the Obsidian team's ability to create interesting, original, memorable characters.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

I'd honestly prefer a tribute to Boo rather than a tribute to Minsc, in some way. Boo could be an inter-planetary being that travels from realm to realm to aid in the assistance with confused and distressed individuals *eyes glance towards Forton*

LOL! Boo could be a hallucination/spirit/soul that only a drug abusing character can see (Forton in this case, or the Player character if he goes down that road too). It'd be fun, Forton rambling to an imaginary friend all game until you get up to the same level of addiction as him you'll start to believe him. It'd be a reward for pursuing addiction. It could be fun dialogue conversations too "Who the hell are you talking too!?".

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 4

I actually liked the rogue characters from DA2, Varric and Isabela. They were two of the highlights of the game, as far as I'm concerned. Minsc was mainly memorable for his one-liner quips, while I never found Morte the least bit appealing.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Albino torturer with a lisp, Practical Frost, from The First Law (trilogy) is a great example of a funny but ****-scary sinister NPC.

He doesn't say much, but when it does it's funny in a sick way. So basically I want a drooling, psychopathic, lisping halfwit to follow me around and make me chuckle occasionally.

TV Tropes linkie about the trilogy for those of you who get sucked into TV Tropes for hours (like me)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFirstLaw

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

If in my opinion he is badly designed then why shouldn't I say so? I'm not from America I actually have freedom of speech.

... Since this is a game forum. I'll avoid bringing up the issues I could with this, and only say: Please keep your unsubstantiated and superfluous insults to yourself. A lot could be said about your nation or of what you insinuated in either nations.

And why is he badly designed?

Class: Ranger - exactly where?! He even don't have the minimum stats of the class. He even claim to be a berserker so either he should be Fighter/Berserker or Barbarian.

The only stat below the normal Ranger requirement is Wisdom (Int too if you went by 1st edition rules but BG is 2nd edition rules). In Minsc's backstory he suffers a head injury which pretty much accounts for his personality and mannerisms, and no doubt damaging his Wisdom stat. It's always up to a gamemaster (in this case CRPG designer) to determine if when a character's stats fall below the minimum required for the class if they are able to maintain their class or must switch to another. Minsc started out as a Ranger and very plausibly had the required stats when he embarked upon his first adventures as a level one character. Having played PnP off and on for over 20 years, been involved in numerous campaign in various games, I can tell you that most of the time, it's better and more fun if the character in question can maintain their class if their stats fall below normal. Minsc was every bit a Ranger, and he received his Beserking from his background as well.

He has useless item (Boo) taking one of his quick item slots.

A great many would say Boo isn't useless. Are you a min maxer? Story > min/maxing in the eyes of good RPG players. Key being that 'R', which stands for roleplaying (which doesn't mean rolling dice).

Numerous times he breaks quest because someone thought it would be a good idea.

I've played BG through 3 times. At least two of those I had Minsc in my party from start until finish), and not once did he break a quest for me.

He claims to led his life devoted to a vow and code but he is...chaotic.

Alignment of a character does not necessarily dictate how they think they see the world.

Minsc is probably the most popular BG character, as well as probably the most popular character of all Infinity Engine games. Like him or not, the developers did something right with him. And I'd say he was one of the best designed characters in BG. He had a good story, he wasn't cookie cutter, and he had some great lines.

• Like 5

Good lord no! I expect a lot better of Obsidian characters.

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

As much as I loved Minsc I would be quite disappointed if a character even remotely similar to him was in this game. Not only because it would feel like a rehash, but I honestly believe that his character was quite shallow in comparison to other comic reliefs that I've seen in games. Minsc wasn't a very deep character and, no matter how much I had enjoyed his antics when I was younger, I always felt that he existed as a joke and nothing more.

I'm hoping that the writers can create a brilliant cast of characters with many different aspects to their personalities, a deep and complex range of beliefs and each of them entirely unique in their own way. There's nothing wrong with having a comic relief character, but I would be utterly horrified if the character remained completely one dimensional and existed simply to get a few cheap laughs.

So for me, personally, I would rather not have a rehash of Minsc. I would prefer Obsidian to approach a "comic relief" with fresh ideas and try to make all the characters as deep, complex and engaging as possible without relying on too may cheap laughs.

That's just me though.

• Like 2

As much as I loved Minsc I would be quite disappointed if a character even remotely similar to him was in this game. Not only because it would feel like a rehash, but I honestly believe that his character was quite shallow in comparison to other comic reliefs that I've seen in games. Minsc wasn't a very deep character and, no matter how much I had enjoyed his antics when I was younger, I always felt that he existed as a joke and nothing more.

I disagree with that. Similar, but different. There's lots that can be done with the template of Minsc I believe. If "Copy+Paste"? Yes, I'd agree with you, but taking some aspects (comic relief being one) and being inspired by Minsc is all good (in my opinion).

Remotely similar: So a wise character is out of the picture? (I find Minsc to be one of the wisest characters, he's likely inspired by "child mentality", and children are wise.. before they start school).

• Like 1

Remotely similar: So a wise character is out of the picture? (I find Minsc to be one of the wisest characters, he's likely inspired by "child mentality", and children are wise.. before they start school).

As long as she's not called Zhjaeve and/or begins every sentence with "Know that...".

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Err, I think people are misunderstanding my original point. I don't necessarily want Minsc or Morte, copied into P:E, I just want a character who isn't so serious all the time (Not that all the characters didn't have their moments). You know, a light hearted character who we all look back on and say "Heh, he was pretty hilarious".

Although, I guess Morte wasn't quite as light hearted as we originally think, but what eves.

Err, I think people are misunderstanding my original point. I don't necessarily want Minsc or Morte, copied into P:E, I just want a character who isn't so serious all the time (Not that all the characters didn't have their moments). You know, a light hearted character who we all look back on and say "Heh, he was pretty hilarious".

I very much hope there will be oddball companions. Forton, Edair and Cadegund all have some potential there I think. Also freaky romance options.

If Obs did this I'd love them to bits. Even if they don't, that's how it'll play out in my head