How will you play the PC in PE?

67 members have voted

1. 1. How will you play the PC in Project Eternity

• Self-Insert: You will play the PC as yourself. Every action the PC makes in PE is exactly what you would do.
    • Original Character: You will create a character with motivations, personality, and style different from yourself. Every action the PC makes in PE is informed by what they would do.
    • Meta-Game: The PC performs all actions in the game based upon what effect you know they will cause.
    • Other

I'm curious how the community in general will be playing PE.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I always try to create a different personality for each play-through. I like shaping my characters as they progress through the game and experience more of the world, and all of the emotions that go with a life of adventure. I like to see them evolve as they experience more trauma, causing their personalities to shift and their beliefs to change. Sometimes I end up with a character similar to myself, but they usually only share one or two of my traits - If I make a religious and honourable character they will have my ideals, but little else of me. If I create a charming and self-centered rogue they will usually have my sarcasm, but little else.

There's a dash of me in every character at one time or another in their virtual little lives, but overall I like to keep my characters as original as I can.

• Like 2

it'd be a combination of a self-insert persona, with differences based on what I'd like to be rather than what I am.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I always try to create a different personality for each play-through. I like shaping my characters as they progress through the game and experience more of the world, and all of the emotions that go with a life of adventure. I like to see them evolve as they experience more trauma, causing their personalities to shift and their beliefs to change. Sometimes I end up with a character similar to myself, but they usually only share one or two of my traits - If I make a religious and honourable character they will have my ideals, but little else of me. If I create a charming and self-centered rogue they will usually have my sarcasm, but little else.

There's a dash of me in every character at one time or another in their virtual little lives, but overall I like to keep my characters as original as I can.

That is similar to what I do. I love making characters that are different from the other PCs I create and see how the world reacts to them.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I will play as... YOU! *

• Like 1

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Eh, I tend to play largely as "myself." Only sometimes I make decisions in the game that I wouldn't in real-life. Like steal every gold coin I can get my grubby hands on. But in terms of how I might answer the average NPC question during dialogue or what "path" to choose down the main questline...mostly me.

If I like a game enough for multiple plays, I'll start doing things that aren't my natural inclination, if I suspect there might be different content/options to be seen by doing so...or just for some LOL's. That's also when I might do some meta-gaming, also for the lol's.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Isnt it always Try to be a Original Character but in reality throw in a lot of Self-Insert while when push comes to shove Meta game ?

​Although like others i think i meta game more in a 2nd or third play-through and self insert is nearly always my first character.

Edited by brownypoints
  • Like 2

I would do the "right thingtm" even when I would not do the same in real life (because of cowardise or the like). I most often Metagame after having finished a game already, like when I play BG+BG2 foir the nth time, I usually do some really cheesy stuff to become the uber elite badass who can solo a colossal red dragon.

Edited by HansKrSG

Philosophically speaking, even if I try my best to make an original character, that character is going to be based off aspects of myself and my own influence for what/who that character is. Ultimately, every character I make (Metagame, myself, someone else etc. etc.) is all in my imagination where I draw the creativity/morality from. That is being nitpicky though (every character you make is based off of you; the "Avatar" of you, the "Alter Ego". I think Chris, Avellone, speaks about it in an awesome interview).

I'd confront most of the objectives, morality decisions, like I would in real life, with some exaggeration to it as well of course. I usually try to talk my way out of fighting, but if it comes down to being the only solution, then I'd deal with it, whilst in real world I would probably try harder to not be violent, a game is limited in those ways I believe. You can't push your agenda onto someone else as much mechanically because the game doesn't physically allow you too.

Someone really wants to fight my character, tough luck for me (and tough luck for this someone as he is going to get it handed to him with a hammer to the face), in real life I would try to argue not too fight me, I'd try to resolve the problem and go to the core of the problem to turn it around so we both can walk away happy. Not going to happen in P:E, I think, but yeah... a game is limited for a purpose and I'm fine with that.

Likewise I don't like to run away from encounters, as my character is usually brave and courageous and persistence in patience. Monkish in some respects.

Hmm this brings up a thought... will you be able to run away from encounters with an impact? (Like a dialogue choice has impact) if I ignore the mob in front of me that wants all my moneys and I just barge right through them without fighting them, could that have some impact later somehow? Maybe these bandits come up to us and thanks us for not dealing with them like we dealt with their boss (realizing we were way above their power level, as if we spared their lives rather than crushed them like the maggots they really were). Likewise if we hightail it the other way they might laugh at us for being cowards and villagers/reputation takes effect too.

A mix of myself and original character. How original can a character be anyway ;)

As I am not decided on gender though, I can't predict that I will completly play myself either.

As original as you are. Though, philosophically speaking (again), I believe we are all part of the one and the same :p had a short swift discussion about this with a friend. We are all "One" <3

Edited by Osvir