Up to 6 party members.

Party Size Poll

Party size

Party size limitations

You could play with only 1 character (the main character) without any more members, but it is going to be designed for 6 party members. Playing with 1 character would be tough (near impossible? Challenge accepted?) on harder difficulty modes.

EDIT: This list is the king and way better than the search function... needs to be updated with the latest threads and cleaned up a bit though (I'm just lazy :p):

ObsidianForumsAL.pdf

ObsidianForumsMX.pdf

Hint: CTRL+F

Edited by Osvir

Up to 6 party members.

Party Size Poll

Party size

Party size limitations

You could play with only 1 character (the main character) without any more members, but it is going to be designed for 6 party members. Playing with 1 character would be tough (near impossible? Challenge accepted?) on harder difficulty modes.

EDIT: This list is the king and way better than the search function... needs to be updated with the latest threads and cleaned up a bit though (I'm just lazy :p):

Hint: CTRL+F

Is it really going to be tougher solo? In Baldur's Gate (2), for example, most of the game was hilariously easy if you soloed, because your one character would be getting all of the experience, instead of having it be split up, and your stats would be ridiculously overpowered, (especially if you were a caster!), in comparison to where they were supposed to be if you had been using a 6-player party. Until you hit max level and then hit the real encounters that you were supposed to be fighting with a max level full party...

If they do it NWN2:OC style, (and I am not completely sure whether or not I want that), the party itself has experience, and all of the party members always have that amount.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Is it really going to be tougher solo? In Baldur's Gate (2), for example, most of the game was hilariously easy if you soloed, because your one character would be getting all of the experience, instead of having it be split up, and your stats would be ridiculously overpowered, (especially if you were a caster!), in comparison to where they were supposed to be if you had been using a 6-player party. Until you hit max level and then hit the real encounters that you were supposed to be fighting with a max level full party...

Did you perchance try that on the most difficult mode? I wouldn't know (haven't tried it to be honest), I only draw my knowledge from Bioware and their statement on Dragon Age: Origins. They said that soloing on harder difficulty (Nightmare) would be impossible (and it is, not even going to challenge it when my entire party goes down against an Ogre on Nightmare, how would 1 character stand a chance?). I think it was doable but challenging on Easy (solo).

Besides which the party combat system between Baldur's Gate and DA:O were nothing alike. BG was classically tactical requiring substantial player control, DA:O barely tactical due to competing AI behaviors, queuing, forced camera shifting (honestly, I hated it)--DA:O was easy, to say the least, on default compared to BG's default. GIven Obsidian's intentions, PE will be closer to BG/IWD than DA:O, hopefully by a long shot. BG is mentioned as a conceptual template for PE, but Obsidian is not today's mechanically-weakened Bioware.

So party mechanics should matter more in PE. Party tactics should matter more, as well as strategy at the high level. But particularly when powergaming becomes normative in subsequent playthroughs, as a player's party tactics improves, it makes sense to lower party count or even solo tuned builds, difficulty modes notwithstanding; I certainly did so for BG (at least for 2), and old-school BG/IWD are the models for this playstyle, not DA:O.

Obsidian has already stated that the party is "optional" for PE though the game is designed around such a foundation, so that implies similar powergaming flexibility as the old BG/IWD games. I'm sure they're still tuning that idea, of course.

Unlike today's cinematic Bioware, Obsidian is espousing significant player choice both mechanically and narratively for PE. Sounds like a real bear to balance out, but I really wish them all the best to make that dream happen.

• Like 3

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Did you perchance try that on the most difficult mode? I wouldn't know (haven't tried it to be honest), I only draw my knowledge from Bioware and their statement on Dragon Age: Origins. They said that soloing on harder difficulty (Nightmare) would be impossible (and it is, not even going to challenge it when my entire party goes down against an Ogre on Nightmare, how would 1 character stand a chance?). I think it was doable but challenging on Easy (solo).

No, I typically only play on Core difficulty. You're right - right in the beginning, it's also hard, but after that first rough spot, your character starts to amass experience so quickly, (6x what a normal party would gain), that everything becomes extraordinarily easy for most of the game, (with the exception of the end-game content, as I said before). That ogre dude with the belts, I admit, is pretty tough right when you come out of Candlekeep, but a backstab and a few Larloch's Minor Drains later... :D

(edit) In regards to Dragon Age: Origins...I liked some things about DA:O. The combat was not one of them. In fact, I can unequivocally say that combat was probably my least favorite part of that game, especially given that the isometric view was completely broken and any sort of real tactics were thrown out the window. The only one I could ever fully control was my own character - I gave up on the rest and just hoped they didn't get horribly murdered because of their extreme stupidity. It is too hard to control multiple party members from a non-isometric view, and the isometric view was completely broken in that game. Made me so mad when enemies were shooting arrows at me from across the map and I couldn't move my camera to even close to where they were.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Osvir,

I was able to solo an Assassin in DAO on nightmare. It takes a very precise build and certain specific pieces of gear, but it's quite possible. :)

Im forced to add also that "it takes a very precise build" - Hrm, well what if I don't want to play a character with that build? I think the game has to and will get made for the majority of plauers who will play good but vastly different characters not min/maxers with a very specific class and build.... Also, since they are "attepmting to bring back the magic of Icewind Dale & BG" then it stands to reason that we will be playing a party rather than a solo character.

Although, I will say that I sometimes like just playing a solo character vs a group, Im not sure this is that type of game.... But here is hoping for a MP option that lets you play with your friends and you all get to play 1 char ;-)

4-6 is the right amount, however there I hope will be points in the game where you are restricted for plot or location purpose to varying party sizes. There could be times where go above that party of six like if was a castle you own and it's under seige then such time you could have more since that castle is your homebase and where any companion you may have picked up even if not in your direct party could be staying, they would logically all be at that location and can help in organisation of the defence. Or if your captured or party is spread out due to an ambush or sorts then could have less than 4-6. But when out and about and not at a homebase then to me you do not or should not have contact with those still at the base and cannot switch between them at any random time. To change companions between those home left with and those left behind at home, you should have to return to your base of operations aka castle first else it's merely building in a mechanic for the sake of ease and defies logical real world common sense or immersion. Your not exactly going to be in such a world, carrying them all around in pokeballs.

Edited by Dragoonlordz

I don't think it's strictly 6. I think there will be times where you're 6+1 or something when you pick up certain NPCs for a short time... I'm not sure though. I tought I read that somewhere.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I don't think it's strictly 6. I think there will be times where you're 6+1 or something when you pick up certain NPCs for a short time... I'm not sure though. I tought I read that somewhere.

That was something Obsidian was thinking about at one point - whether it'll make it into the game is anyone's guess. Those NPCs would be treated as temps only though, in the same sense that you sometimes had people tag along in the BG series.

• Like 1

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png