3D Printer Technology

rjshae

In an interesting sign of things to come, there was a (now cancelled) Kickstarter project to build modular parts for a castle using a 3D printer. The level of detail on this already looks pretty good. So... assuming somebody does decide to move forward on this, would dungeon parts be next? Followed by print-your-own figurines?

Just one slight problem though: purchasing a 3D printer and the "print" cartridges. Perhaps instead it will start at local hobby shops where they print your parts to order?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

By "your own figurines" you mean that someone else has made a 3D modell and you just print it, or that you create a 3D model yourself and then print that?

(I haven't looked into the 3D printing thing too much yet)

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It's sort of CAD/CAM in for hobbyists. You you need to create 3D models in a modelling app. The printer will then "print" a 3D plastic model from the design.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That sums it up pretty nicely. I'm fairly sure there is going to be an online market (both legit and not) for printable stuff. Some fun already arose in the US from gun designs you could print (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22323-diy-gun-project-misfires-as-3d-printer-is-seized.html) ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein