What you did today

Gorth

Well my sister's new Alienware laptop arrived today, so she kept poking at me for help since it's all Windows 8 and she has no idea whats what on it.

The weather has turned from chill to miserably wet, I cleared a bunch of stuff up into the attic, and I am attempting to get the usual christmas enthusiasm to wrap some presents up and slide them under the tree.

Wanted to enjoy the sheer, decadent luxury of a long drawn out hot bath, but time got eaten away, so I'll have to settle for grabbing a quick shower. >_<

Pondering on bills and whether I should be rooting for the apocalypse... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

More paperwork + filing today! ... seems like we could get the mortgage refinanced to save us quite a bit per month and thus pay it off even faster by turning around and putting some of that back into the payments. And after 4.5 years, we're now no longer in the red if we wanted to sell the house "today", might even make a tiny profit, har. We bought when prices were already dropping but they still dropped a little more after that. We've been lucky since this area holds its value fairly well even in a bad economy.

So ... progress. *does a little jig*

Course, we started late, so if we don't live past 65-58 or so, we might still be in a little debt when we die. But then we won't care, because we'd be dead. Ha, ha, ha!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well I worked a good 10 hour shift, got to hit the gym, and ended up reading Amazing Spider-Man 700, which is complete ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Went to a public health centre today in the hopes I could get a declaration of urgency for council housing. (kind of like rent-controlled apartments for the poor)

Doc basically said "You're not cripple, you're not alone and you got a roof over your head now. So no. Better luck next time."

balls

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Last day of work for the year, woohoo. Already know I got a mid-four digit bonus. They are taking us to Benihana for lunch then we will probably be able to go home.

Woo Hoo. I've spent the last year working on projects that so far have gone nowhere, which means I've had absolutely zero-income from it all. I get to put all sorts of things on my CV due to the work, but my bank account has squat. The perils of that "famine" point of project work as opposed to the feast times.... >_<

Edit: Although to be fair, the government did give me an extra £10 on my "Carer's Allowance" that I get for looking after my mother as part of the "Christmas" bonus.

Edited by Raithe

I say enjoy it while you can. There will come a time when you will be in the 40-hour-per-week meatgrinder and you will look back fondly on these current times.

My annual income this year is under five grand. I think the "fondly" might be overstated.. ;)

I've spent the last few days tinkering with my guitar, I bought a ton of soldering/electronics stuff and a 50's wiring kit to get more of a vintage sound but I've ended up becoming obsessed with tracking down every little hum and crackle, time to take a break soon :sweat:

Otherwise I'm waiting for Christmas to happen, I'm going round my parents on xmas eve to help my mum do some cooking, neither of them are strong enough to lift a turkey now, it's kinda depressing but I'm glad to help.

I built a bookshelf.

You can pat yourself on the back, unless it was an Ikea bookshelf. In which case you can flagellate yourself with it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I can't afford real furniture so everything I have in the US is Ikean. It's... OK, actually.

Do they tilt when you walk by?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I can't afford real furniture so everything I have in the US is Ikean. It's... OK, actually.

You can get a lot of good stuff from ikea for ridiculously cheap, it just takes skill or luck to pick out good from the crap...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I just spent a week fishing in Cedar Key down in Florida. Somehow it got seriously cold while I was gone. It was in the 80's down there, it's in the 30's here. Yeah yeah I know to you Scandinavian folks that's a warm spring day but it feels bloody cold to me.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

27 degrees Celsius is not a warm spring day for Scandinavians, it's a heat wave (complete with warnings to seek shade and drink plenty of fluid) :p

Took me a bit getting used to temperatures around 45-46 degrees in summer down here (that's around 115F)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Complaining about 30 degrees celcius. Wuss.

I just spent a week fishing in Cedar Key down in Florida. Somehow it got seriously cold while I was gone. It was in the 80's down there, it's in the 30's here. Yeah yeah I know to you Scandinavian folks that's a warm spring day but it feels bloody cold to me.

Wuss. It's zero degrees now and I haven't even broken out my gloves.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

i don't think he was complaining about 30 degs c, but f... :p

I had an Ikea bed once. That was a mistake. It was like a sinking wobbly ship and I didn't even get to brag about how I broke it doing the deed. My rather portly aunt broke it just sitting on it which made her feel bad about herself.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Of course, my bed is the most expensive thing I own.

Off the top of my head, good ikea gear I or people I know own are their "billy" shelves and home office desks, smaller dinner tables... In fact, anything table-y in general.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Complaining about 30 degrees celcius. Wuss.

Wuss. It's zero degrees now and I haven't even broken out my gloves.

:lol: It's 30 F Gorgon. We are still in the 20th Century here!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I don't know why it says 'complaining about 30 C' in my post. I mean I must have written it, but I have no memory of it. Maybe because I've been awake for a day and a half now. Zero degrees = 32 Farenheit.

It really is true what they say by the way, you definitely get dumber, more sluggish, as various chemical receptors in your brain lose potency. Glad there's no one at work except an equally lazy collegue.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.