I'm presently making my way through Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura. I haven't played it before, and it is astounding how much more reactivity a game has when you do not have to worry about VA. Just a small detail like everyone recognizing your character's gender adds so much to the atmosphere.

So I hope Obsidian keeps VA down.

but I highly doubt it is because of the cost, and more likely because any more than a line or two people end up skipping

You do realize this is a 4M production, right? Not a 100M production. Of course cost will be a pointer.

How much of that 4M do you want for merely VO? I rather have it spend on the proper places. Since in current game-land, it's not much...

Not much, however even lots of voice acting is a tiny cost in a $4 million budget for this type of game. If they were making a first person RPG where you see the characters mouths the whole time they were speaking, it would be a different story, but all they have to do is record some voice and accompany it with the text so it takes hours and hours less work.

but I highly doubt it is because of the cost, and more likely because any more than a line or two people end up skipping

You do realize this is a 4M production, right? Not a 100M production. Of course cost will be a pointer.

How much of that 4M do you want for merely VO? I rather have it spend on the proper places. Since in current game-land, it's not much...

Not much, however even lots of voice acting is a tiny cost in a $4 million budget for this type of game. If they were making a first person RPG where you see the characters mouths the whole time they were speaking, it would be a different story, but all they have to do is record some voice and accompany it with the text so it takes hours and hours less work.

If you paid attention (i.e. if you actually read this thread, which you didn't), Feargus already gave the answer. Around half a million to voice less than half the word content of PS:T. That's "only" over 12% of the current PE budget; what else could the $500k buy? An entire faction? How many maps? 3-4 party NPCs? Who knows, but Obsidian knows, and I'll bet any other actual content is still >>>>>> "full VO" (or even "mostly").

Voice acting in RPGs may be more trouble than it's worth.

And with the decision Obsidian back in September, this thread is still entirely moot.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)