The best thing about KotOR was...

Jawas were a nice touch. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy freeing Iziz' (spelling?) tribe and exterminating the sand people.

Funniest dialogue though was between Carth and Bastila when she admits to actually having lost her lightsaber :unsure:

Or when Bastila uses the force to "trip" Mission. :huh:

Liked the "spooky" background music when running around in the Star Forge, reminded me very much of the encounter with The Emperor on the Death Star in the movie.

Actually quite hard to define "best" here, depending on whether one appreciates humour, action, interesting environments etc. Personally I like a bit of subtle dark humour in games. Kotor had that. Hope the sequel will elaborate on that.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I liked the Jawas, the Sand People too. Tatooine was done well overall. Authentic movie sound effects add much to the atmosphere. The cantina could be better though - it didn't really capture that 'wild west' feel of Mos Eisley. Too quiet.

The cantina could be better though - it didn't really capture that 'wild west' feel of Mos Eisley. Too quiet.

Of course, they weren't even trying for that feel, so it's not surprising that they failed to capture it.

But that's something KotOR 2 should have. Bring on the wretched hives of villainy!

Of course, they weren't even trying for that feel, so it's not surprising that they failed to capture it.

Yeah, but even so, I was disappointed. The Cantinas on Taris weren't much better either... so bland.

But that's something KotOR 2 should have. Bring on the wretched hives of villainy!

Agreed!

Epic fealing as my armada moved out to squash that little republic......

Ops, I mean the nice ending when everybody was happy and gave medal to a redeamed Raven. :unsure:

I liked the epic feeling that captured a lot of the first movie. Please don't try to capture the feeling from episode 1. :o

Yeah, but even so, I was disappointed. The Cantinas on Taris weren't much better either... so bland.

Agreed!

actually, it's "scum and villainy"

never forget to bring the scum.

the scum is very important.

dumber than a bag of hammers

I dug the Jawas too. They're supposed to look really hideous and covered with flys and stuff under those hoods they wear though.

The main thing I truly enjoyed in KotOR was visiting Kashyyk or whatever it was called. I had this childrens book when I was a little kid that was about Chewys solo adventures, fighting slavers and monsters and stuff on his home planet - Kashyyk. It was fun getting to explore it in a graphical setting, since the films never have. I think Wookies have always been my favorite part of Star Wars too. So a planet full of them was a nice touch.

"Gurrrrrrrr....Rurggggh"

I also liked visiting Kashyyk or whatever it was called.  I had this childrens book when I was a little kid that was about Chewys solo adventures, fighting slavers and monsters and stuff on his home planet - Kashyyk.  It was fun getting to explore it in a graphical setting, since the films never have.  I think Wookies have always been my favorite part of Star Wars too.  So a planet full of them was a nice touch.

huh, i've hated kashyyk ever since i saw the star wars thanksgiving special as a kid. singing wookies, singing princess leia, it was enough to put anyone off.

The wookies were very disapointing to me, I had expected something more than submissive carpets when I showed up.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

Kashyyk could have been better. I didn't really care much for the wookies, which was surprising. To top it off they disabled transit. That made the "great" walkway anything but great. The maps were also too restrictive, the shadowlands in particular.

Hey, people, I wasn't asking your approval on what you thought of the Wookie planet. It was my favorite part. A lot of things in that game could have been better, but it was what it was. Lets move on. B)

huh, i've hated kashyyk ever since i saw the star wars thanksgiving special as a kid. singing wookies, singing princess leia, it was enough to put anyone off.

Dude, quit pissing on my childhood memories. The holiday wookie special was a classic. <_<

The holiday wookie special was a classic.

Chewbacca has a dad named Itchy? and a kid brother named Lumpy?

Bea Arthur singing in the cantina?

Jefferson Starship?

and Han Solo saying to Chewbacca's family, "all of you are an important part of my life"?

and all this before the Empire Strikes Back?

classic? i think the word you are looking for is 'abomination'.

p.s. do you suppose all that stuff is canon?

The holiday wookie special was a classic.

Chewbacca has a dad named Itchy? and a kid brother named Lumpy?

Bea Arthur singing in the cantina?

Jefferson Starship?

and Han Solo saying to Chewbacca's family, "all of you are an important part of my life"?

and all this before the Empire Strikes Back?

classic? i think the word you are looking for is 'abomination'.

p.s. do you suppose all that stuff is canon?

Hell yeah it's canon. What, the heroes from the Star Wars movies couldnt' take time off to celebrate the holidays with family and excessively hairy friends? :p

Nah, I never really saw that movie. Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher didn't play their respective roles for it did they?

The only made for T.V. Star Wars thing I saw was about Endor and the Ewoks. It was pretty terrible.

I liked that many of KotOR's environments, especially on Manaan and the Mystary Planet, were quite nice to look at. It almost just felt like a giant tease though, since so much of it was hands off, don't touch. More than once I found myself wishing I was playing a platformer or something so I could jump around and climb all over everything. That vast sea on Manaan was just calling for me to go swimming, damnit.

Probably the best thing about the game though was that it was, in many ways, nicely streamlined. A lot of the fat from similar games had been trimmed. For instance, I assume that Star Wars pnp uses a resting system. I think it was a good call to eliminate any kind of resting system and force the player to use items (though it gets thrown off balance once the player gains the force healing power). Unfortunately, in streamlining, some things became overly restrictive, mostly the player's ability to interact with the game world and its occupants. I thought that the NPCs in the Infinity Engine games were dull, but at least you could pickpocket or attack them if you so desired.

Korriban was my favorite got to be as evil as I wanted. I loved going through each of the tombs especially the tomb of the assasin droid (being a walking shadow rules). In fact I actually made a save game before for each of the tombs just so i could try them with different party member/weapons.

My only complaint was that they only let you practice your dueling on 3 slaves. I could of done that for hours.