I'm in agreement with OP and most of the people in this thread that torches (and asscoiated held lighting) are a good idea, they add immersion, atmosphere and realism.

In regards to those arguing against them i dont see why they would need to be any different or have any different radius from the daytime FOW, all it would add in this regard is dynamic lighting.

I think their implementation must not be a royal pain in the arse though as many other posters have stated, so i'll present this in bullet point form to make it quicker.

1. I can't be bothered with having to pause the game and swap my torch for a sword everytime i fight a badguy, either make them a non-equipable item that your character holds when their not fighting or have a light slot on the equip screen that can be used for lanterns, torches, crystals etc..

2. Consumable torches sounds like another annoying mechanic, i'm usually all for increasing complexity and depth but this just sounds like it would piss people off, one infinite torch will still give that feeling of immersion and atmosphere.

3. Simple button to turn torches off is a great idea, cant remember whose it was sorry! But it would add tactical depth for hiding in the shadows (if that skill is at all light based), especially if one race or class has NV which you only see whilst having that one character selected.

I would add that mechanic should be that when character get into fight he can simply drop torch on the ground to keep light up - another strategic layer is that you have to keep your party where you can see

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm in agreement with OP and most of the people in this thread that torches (and asscoiated held lighting) are a good idea, they add immersion, atmosphere and realism.

In regards to those arguing against them i dont see why they would need to be any different or have any different radius from the daytime FOW, all it would add in this regard is dynamic lighting.

I think their implementation must not be a royal pain in the arse though as many other posters have stated, so i'll present this in bullet point form to make it quicker.

1. I can't be bothered with having to pause the game and swap my torch for a sword everytime i fight a badguy, either make them a non-equipable item that your character holds when their not fighting or have a light slot on the equip screen that can be used for lanterns, torches, crystals etc..

2. Consumable torches sounds like another annoying mechanic, i'm usually all for increasing complexity and depth but this just sounds like it would piss people off, one infinite torch will still give that feeling of immersion and atmosphere.

3. Simple button to turn torches off is a great idea, cant remember whose it was sorry! But it would add tactical depth for hiding in the shadows (if that skill is at all light based), especially if one race or class has NV which you only see whilst having that one character selected.

I would add that mechanic should be that when character get into fight he can simply drop torch on the ground to keep light up - another strategic layer is that you have to keep your party where you can see

I would say keep them where you can see if you want them to be effective, so if they leave the 'light pool' their critical miss chance and other stats change, so that they are more likely to be hit, hurt themselves or friendlies, etc.

I would say keep them where you can see if you want them to be effective, so if they leave the 'light pool' their critical miss chance and other stats change, so that they are more likely to be hit, hurt themselves or friendlies, etc.

This should be difficulty based. I don't want my party to miss too much or be all critically dangerous to themselves on Easy up to Normal, whilst on Hard and Expert it should be noticeably different.

Could the Rogue+Cipher have the ability to critical hit in "darkness"/shadows, whilst the rest of the classes can only deal normal damage in "darkness"/shadows? The Rogue should be accustomed to darkness, regardless if having a nightvision thing~ or not. So if darkness is going to be penalizing somehow, I would like to see the Rogue (and other shadow curious classes, e.g., Cipher) not get as much penalties.

I am including the Cipher in the sentence because I see it possibly having an Assassin Kit more so than the Rogue having it (I see the Rogue having a Thief Kit).

EDIT: This could fit well with some sort of "Role of the Rogue" (14 pages might seem like a lot to read but it is a really good thread, well worth it)

Edited by Osvir

I like these ideas although i think the torches will need to have a relatively large radius so we dont have 6 people fighting in a huddle defeating the purpose of tactial formations and it could really add to the role of a rogue if his hide in the shadows was limited during combat to actual dark areas, I could imagine him running out of the light, going stealth and then backstabbing.

It could also set up some awesome non-scripted events with your party being assualted from the shadows by shades that don't need to magically spawn.

As a side note it would be pretty cool if the 15 level meta-dungeon got darker the deeper you went.

Edited by Jobby

There is also an ominous dark tentacle beast in the darkness

I have the wallpaper on my desktop, and now that I'm thinking about it... maybe downsizing the bosom on Cadegund's breastplate was a strategic decision on her end o.0

EDIT:

OT: Great thread, really on board with Osvir here. Light could help this game realize its potential and go from good to great.

Edited by Azrayel

CORSAIR, n. A politician of the seas. ~The Devil's Dictionary

• 2 weeks later...

This goes into this thread too I guess:

Sting-Sword-FX-Collectible.jpg

Items reacting to certain types of enemies. Glowing or whatnot, advantage of having weapon out is that you get more vision+know that enemies are around. Likewise, the disadvantage is that you are clearly easier to spot in the darkness if you have it out. Could allow for some strategical and tactical decisions and emerge interesting situations.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Some thoughts on the "In Skyrim you can block with a torch and it doesn't break"... well? Are P:E's torches unbreakable as well or do they break if you block with them? I don't see why not, that'd be pretty interesting in my opinion. Fighting with the torch in your off-hand might give you some minor bonus to Fire Damage but with a 1-5 dice roll (out of 10 numbered dice) it could break.

Obviously some people dislike the fact that the torch in Skyrim is unbreakable, so what say you about making the torch breakable in P:E? Sounds fair, and I kind of personally like that idea.

Conceptual dice rolls:

1-5 = Critical Miss, Torch Breaks

6-8 = Standard hit, enemy takes minor fire damage

9-10 = Critical Hit, enemy starts burning, taking damage over time

Edited by Osvir

Love the idea of weapons/equipment reacting to enemies nearby! That idea absolutely deserves its own thread, Osvir :). There's tons of potential in that idea!

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Love the idea of weapons/equipment reacting to enemies nearby! That idea absolutely deserves its own thread, Osvir :). There's tons of potential in that idea!

Yes! I mean, what if you could enchant a sword to cause any living thing within 10 feet of you to glow? Perhaps it would be costly, or wouldn't be quite as murdery as other weaponry, but it would give you a huge advantage against melee stealth combatants and ambush situations. This is a very rough example, intended to spur excitement and brainstorming, maybe even parades. Probably not parades... -_-

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Urghhhhh I hated having to keep a well stocked amount of torches in my ES games to the point where I stopped rolling pure melee and took flare/light/overhead floating ball of light/caster people.

If torches are the game fantastic, im sure plenty of people will enjoy having one of thier party be unarmed or specifcally roll someonewith night vision etc... - I'll have my magician cast balls of light

Edit.

ORCS!!!!! *sword glows blue*

GOBLINS!!!!!! *sword glows green*

Fantastic idea! Someone get that man a thread and a poll because that is truly an awesome idea.

Your walking threw a dungeon when you notice your wizzards staff starts glowing yellow.......... You stop knowing fine well there are Hell Hounds around. Hell Hounds. Urghhh gonna be a tough fight if there is a pack of them. You switch your formation around so the meat shields are blocking the path and push on. Slowly.

You see them and lay down your slows and stuns, block the tunnel best you can and attack from a distance... two get through the wall..... otto..

Love the idea.. Really do!

edit edit : thread is here : http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63088-weapons-that-enemies-react-to/

Edited by Juneau

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.