Edit: Jesus christ, reading comprehension, I want a fighting style for the monk based on acupressure attacks, a crystaline tank, and mabe a ****ing shadow entity AS SECRETS, hidden abilities and techniques that part of hidden quests, not mainline or readily availible level up options

This is me just spitballing an idea, but what if over the course of the game there were hidden subquests to trigger which led the party to learn a secret fighting style, kinda sorta how DA:O led you to discover the Archane Warrior class except more subtle and hidden. a simple example where you go find a clue which leads to a quest where you decide the outcome of some mundane event that ties to karma or some such, and depending on your action this leads to another clue where at the end you find a hidden passage under some waterfall where you find a wisened old man who puts you through a final test, and if you pass you become the next successor to that style of fighting. again, very simple example trying to get my point across and I think there should be level requirements as these styles should be very powerful.

Basically, the idea hit me as a way to shoehorn HnK fighting styles for the monk, because I think it would be cool, of course there would be penalties associated with the styles, but it would be a very specific disadvantage... the point is because there are so secret, they need to be powerful to justify the time you spend finding them and there can be different secret styles for different classes

Feel free to add your own/make suggestions/comment on but these a the few i'd like to pitch

Monk: "Hokuto" Style (will be called something else, but deals with pressure points)

---Advantages: All styles deal superior damage to other martial styles, high kockback potential, multiple strikes, damage taken by hits is multiplied by (it's the pressure point hits) 10 (or some other number to make it super damaging) after 2 rounds, innate damage reduction, and special moves and enemies with struck power points explode in spectacular fashion. no crit fails

---Disadvantages: Works only on humanoid targets, monsters still take damage but no pressure point damage is added, style is locked in as you are the successor to the style, no crits, also hardship will follow your party, prepare for feels. (where Hokuto goes, chaos follows)

--- Learned from three masters

--- Heal Type (Toki) focuses on fluid motion and calm but accurate strikes, deals high damage to single targets, moderate AOE, weaker strengh, can heal party members with accupressure but must be out of combat, cures everything.

--- Damage Type (Kenshiro) focuses on fast strikes full of damage, strikes faster and with higher base damage, great AOE, weaker defense

--- Strength Type (Raoh) focuses of brutal strikes which knock back targets further, chance to crush enemies, high single target and AOE, slower attack speed, greater defense

^^^may restrict styles to alignment type^^^

"Nanto" Style: slashy cutty style

Advantages: free flowing and deadly, this style allows the fighter to move across the battlefield with lethal grace, higher movespeed in combat, lots of attacks, added slashing or peircing damage, depending on sub style. characters using this style are harder to hit.

Disadvantages: slightly lesser single target damage, style locked in, the more damage taken by the character, the slower and easier to hit he gets. Certain actions cannont be taken (star of Justice cannot let innocents suffer)((maybe))

--- Justice style (Rei) Characterized by extreme mobility coupled with massive AOE damage, baring special moves, single target damage is good. can not do or abide by evil actions

--- Martydom style (Shin) Characterized by lightning quick puncturing moves, super high single target damage, moderate AOE moves. unable to make varied choices (tunnel vision) (might replace with Shuu's technique)

--- Command style (Thouzer) Characterized by zero defense, lightning offense with brutal cleaving strikes, high damage all around, lowered defenses, cannot make emotional choices.

(vvv these ideas are a little less fleshed out vvv)

Warrior:

Crystaline symbiote: You allow a crystaline entity to mesh with your warrior, giving you the innate mystical power of crystal and the toughness of a gem (your warrior is now DIAMONDS)

Advantages: medium strength spells related to crystals and gems buff your party and deal damage to enemies, you look fabulous with your new crystals and gems popping out of your skin. obtain a crystaline blade of enerring quickness and razor sharpness, abilities include the ability to fissure the earth and ever increasing armor when healed from wounds. immune to slashing, heavy magic and peirce resistance

Disadvantages: super weak to shatter or crush, Health is frozen at current level, immune to heal magic, only specific self heal can restore health, lower dex and char (you are a disfigured hybrid of flesh and crystal) unable to equip armor

(may add ability to choose crystaline weapon according to pref)

Rouge:

Shadow infused: Despite what other rouges might bluff, you have actually are infused with the essence of shadow and as such can manipulate shadow to your will.

Advantages: Characharized by massivly damaging pericing and slashing strikes, you stike with absolute percision and damage increases depending on the amount of shadow available. While cloaked in the night, you are perpetually stealthed and unable to be hit with physical attacks unless...

Disadvantages: Useless during daytime, unless standing in shadow (in the shadow of a building, or inside a cave) Torches, flame arrows, or flame spells will deactivate your shadow power, making you hitable

I still have a few ideas laying around, just too tired to write them all now, tell me what you think?

Edited by Neuralshock
  • Like 1

would that be listed in here?

because we're going for HYPER REALISM right? thanks for the criticism and thanks for not reading the entire thing

How do you know he didn't read the whole thing? I think he summed up that whole wall of text quite eloquently.

• Like 3

Learning a secret style might be a good excuse for individual NPCs to detach themselves from the party for a spell. Or it could be something that they pick up as an accomplishment only if you let them loose for a time. Basically that would be an enticement to recruit them back into the party at a later date.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

because we're going for HYPER REALISM right? thanks for the criticism and thanks for not reading the entire thing

How do you know he didn't read the whole thing? I think he summed up that whole wall of text quite eloquently.

Because Weaboo characters usually have no disadvantages to them, I tried to balance them out as best I can and offer meaningful disadvantages and instead of giving actual criticism he writes it off with a bad joke

Because Weaboo characters usually have no disadvantages to them, I tried to balance them out as best I can and offer meaningful disadvantages and instead of giving actual criticism he writes it off with a bad joke

I think he was calling it weaboo because its all so over the top and goober-high fantasy, also the Japanese names. (I'm assuming they're that and not gibberish)

I think he was calling it weaboo because its all so over the top and goober-high fantasy, also the Japanese names. (I'm assuming they're that and not gibberish)

I mention that they don't have to be called that, the main idea I pitched an idea for a fighting style for the monk based on acupressure strikes a la HnK. I think it would be cool, and I think other people would like it too since they often play RPGs in a "Fist of the North Star" kind of way

and by no means do I imply that characters have to dash and fly around to extremes, I just want the styles i mentioned to enable the user to be meaningfully faster than other types of characters, these are meant to be top tier abilites and not easy to get.

The other ones I put some thought into as well as a non-conventional tank style, and an albiet gimmicky rouge style with specific advantages and disadvantages to using them

So you're looking for something like say becoming a Reaver in Dragon Age: Origins? I'd be open to this but the issue is balance. If they do this for monks they'd have to do an equal number for all classes. While I'd love that I just don't know if it's in the cards with the budget constraints they'll be under.

• Like 1

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Wow, it seems the whole anti-monk brigade has become a bunch of asshats on the board. Good job fellas.

I think this sort of thing would be interesting, but of course I would like it to extend to all classes if possible. Maybe some classes can share some techniques with slight revisions, so lets say the fighter and monk might share one or two secret techniques (of course the technique could be altered to be used with the appropriate soul apparatus).

Hidden classes, specs, abilities, and the like, as in the specializiations in DA:O or the fighting styles in Jade Empire could work, depending on how leveling characters work in general of course. Or perhaps, more along the lines of hidden perks in the Fallout series.

It should be for all classes of course, not just the monk (unless the entire monk shtick becomes searching for hidden techniques, which I hope it doesn't personally) though.

I think the OP did present some of these for the warrior and the red, red rouge class. :cat:

For wizards, perhaps there are unique spells and rituals, unusual crafting recipes, or special methods for building your spell books? Chanters may learn to play unusual instruments that allow them to perform specific songs in ways that provide unique benefits.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think the OP did present some of these for the warrior and the red, red rouge class. :cat:

For wizards, perhaps there are unique spells and rituals, unusual crafting recipes, or special methods for building your spell books? Chanters may learn to play unusual instruments that allow them to perform specific songs in ways that provide unique benefits.

Well, I'm glad to see some interest in the ideas I pitched, coming up with a secret skill for wizards was a toughie, seeing as they would probably be varried enough as it is. I run into the same issue with Cleric, except it's a lack of variety that I think is the problem... nothing comes to mind other than standard heal/rezz/buff unless you could switch that out for the ability set for time manipulation: Speed allied up, slow enemies down, accelerate wound healing, no blessings or other religious buffs I guess

Wow, it seems the whole anti-monk brigade has become a bunch of asshats on the board. Good job fellas.

I think this sort of thing would be interesting, but of course I would like it to extend to all classes if possible. Maybe some classes can share some techniques with slight revisions, so lets say the fighter and monk might share one or two secret techniques (of course the technique could be altered to be used with the appropriate soul apparatus).

I like monks, I'd just rather have Yip Man than Goku. Please no herp derp "I use glowing energy fist -insert name here- attack" which is what OP sounds like.

Also there shouldn't be crossover between the fighter and monk. The fighter has his own techniques (yes *gasp* the west had its own martial arts) the monk is supposed to represent something exotic and different.

• Like 1

Yes to Prestige/Specialization Classes you have to unlock by joining a faction, completing a long quest, and/or performing a ritual.

Yes to special stances, blocks, and/or attacks that you can learn from teachers. Some only available to members of certain factions, some hidden away (hermits).

No to flashy jRPG-ish super powers.

• Like 8

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Yes to Prestige/Specialization Classes you have to unlock by joining a faction, completing a long quest, and/or performing a ritual.

Yes to special stances, blocks, and/or attacks that you can learn from teachers. Some only available to members of certain factions, some hidden away (hermits).

No to flashy jRPG-ish super powers.

Perfectly sums up my opinion on this idea!

P.S.:

Why bother coming up with an elaborate argument if you can just ridicule someone with goofy sarcasm...

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

I like monks, I'd just rather have Yip Man than Goku. Please no herp derp "I use glowing energy fist -insert name here- attack" which is what OP sounds like.

Also there shouldn't be crossover between the fighter and monk. The fighter has his own techniques (yes *gasp* the west had its own martial arts) the monk is supposed to represent something exotic and different.

No. As far as we know the monk does not represent anything particularly unique or exotic in terms of the PE setting. We don't know the history or form of monastic orders in PE.

You know what differentiates a fighter and a monk? The exact same thing that will separate every single class in the game. They way in which they utilize their soul. That is not to say there will be no cross over. The devs have set up a system where the use of the soul mechanic is class defining. I would conjecture, and again, this is my own personal opinion, that other aspects of the class will be viewed as interdependent with the soul mechanic. Hence, there will be something particular and unique in the monk's soul mechanic that lends itself to a possibly unarmored, unarmed or exotically armed warrior, in the same way that the warrior's soul mechanic will enforce and enrich the use of particular weapons and actions while in armor.

• Like 1

I think the whole "rogues are rogues because their souls give them rogue-powers" is kinda retarded, It would be better if the soul thing would be a little more in the background, allowing actual world skills and techniques to be significant. If everything is just a dumb soul-fest, soul this soul that and then some soul sausages and bacon, it becomes rather dull and boring. Souls lose their mystical appeal if they're treated like common objects.

• Like 4

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

No. As far as we know the monk does not represent anything particularly unique or exotic in terms of the PE setting. We don't know the history or form of monastic orders in PE.

You know what differentiates a fighter and a monk? The exact same thing that will separate every single class in the game. They way in which they utilize their soul. That is not to say there will be no cross over. The devs have set up a system where the use of the soul mechanic is class defining. I would conjecture, and again, this is my own personal opinion, that other aspects of the class will be viewed as interdependent with the soul mechanic. Hence, there will be something particular and unique in the monk's soul mechanic that lends itself to a possibly unarmored, unarmed or exotically armed warrior, in the same way that the warrior's soul mechanic will enforce and enrich the use of particular weapons and actions while in armor.

I think its a perfectly reasonable assumption seeing as ever one else is wearing western medieval getup and Forton is dressed up like bruce lee. The way that the classes utilize their souls is part of it, but they also represent different archetypes, I think crossover would make them much less interesting.

Discovering secret/powerful styles through chance and circumstance is a big part of Chinese wuxia novels, so if the monk is based on eastern themes, I would like to see something like this. I agree there should be carryover to other classes and they should NOT take cues from Dragonball Z or ridiculous JRPG attacks.

I only have one thing to say, create your own secret style with the outrageous Wall of Text. One of the ideas in there is about there being enough possible "Builds" that you'd be able to build your own style. Of course reading on community forums and similar post-release would quickly find the "best build" depending on playstyle. That's why I love League of Legends, there's very many different builds for just 1 champion.

Edited by Osvir