Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who are you?

player character npc pc god material inspiration introduction

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I am not going to be anyone in the game. The PC will be a zealous Paladin who is more interested in smiting the foes of his order and slaying multitudes of creatures than curing the ill and protecting people(offense over defense essentially). He will be over-confident, stubborn, and highly opinionated, but not evil or cruel.

Brujoloco

Brujoloco

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I know this might sound strange to some, but I would love to see some actual cultural positive latinamerican tropes. Being from a far away place and being exposed constantly to classical english fantasy tropes I must say theres a lot of RL white european tropes mixed in there.

If this game wants to portray realistic societies and NPCS, I think they all need to stay away from white european knights, scholarly asian based cultures and dark skinned foreign "arabic" themes ...

In Latinamerica alone there are neighbouring countries that not only do not even remotely speak the same language sometimes, even when both speak spanish, but every 100km there are such contrasts in customs , even within the same country that you could literally be in another.

I for once , following this trend, would be a local machete wielding medicine man (called Mojan where I am from) that deals with polymorphing techniques into several trees,animals and even rocks to deal with unfriendly medicine men, spirits and angry enemy tribes as I drink rum and smoke tobacco to appease my Patron and ask for more powers. I would go at the forefront of incursions into enemy lands to steal cattle and women shielding my apprentices and protecting the sneaky shadowbound warriors ( that could be another class or npc on their own that use bow and arrows to kill silently, and they are actual units in our real life military in Venezuela that work alone or in packs defending our jungle heavy borders with Brasil and Colombia, mostly targetting drug lord armies and para military armies of no known allegiance)

Theres so much stuff to take away from Latinamerica in terms of fully fleshed magical and earthly NPCS.

Would love to see a bigger influence in modern games, thats all

Cheers!
  • BruceVC and Yonjuro like this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1960 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Whatever I am, I am a lazy bastard!

• Monte Carlo likes this

magicwallis

magicwallis

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Whatever I am, I am a lazy bastard!

Absolutely yes!  I am the Arch Procrastinator.  I will literally do anything to avoid doing work.  Even if that involves a vast investment of time and energy itself.

"Bow down and tremble before my almighty...oh I can't be arsed!"

LtAmbrose

LtAmbrose

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mistake

Edited by LtAmbrose, 31 January 2014 - 11:24 PM.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

We all wear masks, metaphorically speaking. We suppress the id, our darkest desires... and adopt a more socially acceptable image.

So what you are saying is that Ben Stein is actually Ferris Bueller?

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I know this might sound strange to some, but I would love to see some actual cultural positive latinamerican tropes. Being from a far away place and being exposed constantly to classical english fantasy tropes I must say theres a lot of RL white european tropes mixed in there.

If this game wants to portray realistic societies and NPCS, I think they all need to stay away from white european knights, scholarly asian based cultures and dark skinned foreign "arabic" themes ...

In Latinamerica alone there are neighbouring countries that not only do not even remotely speak the same language sometimes, even when both speak spanish, but every 100km there are such contrasts in customs , even within the same country that you could literally be in another.

I for once , following this trend, would be a local machete wielding medicine man (called Mojan where I am from) that deals with polymorphing techniques into several trees,animals and even rocks to deal with unfriendly medicine men, spirits and angry enemy tribes as I drink rum and smoke tobacco to appease my Patron and ask for more powers. I would go at the forefront of incursions into enemy lands to steal cattle and women shielding my apprentices and protecting the sneaky shadowbound warriors ( that could be another class or npc on their own that use bow and arrows to kill silently, and they are actual units in our real life military in Venezuela that work alone or in packs defending our jungle heavy borders with Brasil and Colombia, mostly targetting drug lord armies and para military armies of no known allegiance)

Theres so much stuff to take away from Latinamerica in terms of fully fleshed magical and earthly NPCS.

Would love to see a bigger influence in modern games, thats all

Cheers!

Kind of way-too-late, brudder. Enit.

Not even touching on the dangerous levels of stereotyping. Except to make a joke about ancient indian burial grounds on account of the dead rising from their metaphorical graves here.

Edited by AGX-17, 01 February 2014 - 11:01 PM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

We all wear masks, metaphorically speaking. We suppress the id, our darkest desires... and adopt a more socially acceptable image.

vhfalv.jpg

i dont. i do what i want and to hell with whoever doesnt like it. i do not conform to what others expect of me to be like

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't think that's what's being meant by masks tekoman2. Non-conformist or not, everyone has some basic psychological reactions and defences. You use there even if you're not aware of them.

Candid

Candid

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm Candid.

I came here for the first time a few days ago to drop my would-have-been epitaph for backer perusal, because it was much too long to actually use (should have checked the limit first, bah).

Now I think I'm a regular. Or I will be.

Nice to meet you all.

• JFSOCC likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't think that's what's being meant by masks tekoman2. Non-conformist or not, everyone has some basic psychological reactions and defences. You use there even if you're not aware of them.

trust me, if i was on the DC universe, i'd be joker... a chaotic neutral version, but in essense a guy who does not give a dime about anything or anyone as long as he has fun

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: player, character, npc, pc, god, material, inspiration, introduction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users