A psuedo-introduction thread, because psuedo makes everything sound cooler!

I believe that "Everything" is "Material".

Reading some on the P:E Wikia I see relations between this board and what is being said there. I don't know if it is one way or the other (we are inspired by the Wikia or the Wikia is inspired by the forums). If the Wikia is inspired by the forums then your username and how you write here is also possibly an inspiration to characters and the world itself in P:E.

So who do you see yourself as in P:E? Or as an inspirational material, what type of character would you be? Are you one of the Gods, one of the Companions? The bar owner? Are you the jester? How would you see yourself?

Let me explain, when I went theater class we did some Commedia Dell Arte which is about putting on a "mask" and acting on the mask. The mask doesn't necessarily have to be like the picture seen below (there are millions of different masks, what kind of mask are you?), it could be a person, you put on and act on a different body language than your own really (Method Acting). We had one class where our homework was to go out to town and research, watch people and find one person to imitate (body language) then twist it up a notch making it hilarious and exaggerated (could get really awkward too if not authentic). A casual step forward could become a long slow motion awkward step forward. It was super fun to work with.

Basically this is a thread about everyone. If you are imitated into P:E and exaggerated/twisted/tweaked similarly as explained above, do you have any "demands" on how you would wish to be presented or do you give Obsidian free reign?

mask.gif

Getting to that awkward part where I haven't thought out ways I see myself and getting to that awkward point of presenting myself (which feels rather awkward).............

So... thinking about it a little bit, how do I see myself? As a Chanter, Cipher, Druid, Wizard or Monk. Tinkering and thinkering, friendly and passionate. A philosopher, necromancer in a sense, a Socratic individual (Socrates had to drink a vial of poison because his philosophy was not welcome, he was executed for his ways, I'd say that could be seen as "necromancy" in the eyes of the people who wanted him dead e.g., authority). Socrates was also believed to be a mad man by everyone, yet he is one of the most important historic figures for us today in philosophy. Irony right?

I absolutely love to travel, Druidic and nomadic in that sense that I love the land. I intend to travel Europe next summer. When I was in Boulder, Colorado last spring I hiked a lot in the mountains and camped out as well. Boulder, Colorado is absolutely gorgeous, and they've got some pretty sweet rock climbing spots.

"So Crat Es" in Latin translates to "So was the art". I like cryptic and deep riddles~information. Something that is more than meets the eye, something that can transform from one thing to another and/or deconstructed and then constructed again. I want to have an open mind and an open heart, often deciding to be positive before reading anything. A title in the Forum saying "Mini-Game", I can decide if I'm going to think "Not going to touch that blegh!" or "Oh! Mini-Games, I already get 11 ideas by the title itself!!".

I've taken apart many computers just to put them back together just because I was curious. Self-aware and conscious what I am writing, how I am wording and how it is structured (where I put comas and parenthesis as well). I edit a lot post-posting because I notice structural failure when I've posted (In a sense it is like "production complete" and then I can work on polish/details). As long as the post isn't posted it is a work in progress, and there is a sense of relaxation and "rewarding success" when you've actually posted. A post is like a program, you won't notice some bugs until you've actually released it (because you didn't have the same mindset or whatnot pre-posting).

I was asked once by a stranger (who felt like my sister) what my superpower was, and I told her "Kindness". I only want good. I stand with two feet on Mother Earth, and not with two feet in a country. I feel we are all family and friends on one planet, a floating big ball in space. I'm definitely a Chanter, being singer-songwriter. I like everyone here on the forums and think everyone has interesting points, thoughts and ideas :)

Alignments

A mix of Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Good, trying to be True Neutral. Sometimes gets bitten by Chaotic Evil (in essence, being a selfish jerk), though I dislike being bitten by it and always feel bad about it (it happens you know, sometimes you've got a good day sometimes you've got a bad day). I feel strongly for having honor and a sense of duty, but not enough to touch Lawful Good.

Osvir is a well thought out screen name, which started on a roleplaying board as "MaskedMan", wherein Os Vir literally translates to "Bone Man". It's my "Avatar"/"Alter Ego", like a character in World of Warcraft is (otherwise I would display my real name, I have told Obsidian my real name because they tell us their names, just felt it respectful). Os by itself can translate from Latin to English as "Mask", but seems to be more related to "Speech", "Mouth", "Lips", "Bone", "Source", "Mien", structure and presentation. Os is also "Opening", "Effrontery", "Impudence" and "Countenance". Vir can be "Lover", "Husband", "Virility", "Soldier" and "Manhood".

^I relate who I am to these, which is pretty funny and coincidental to me, been using the screen name Osvir for a couple of years now and I relate to the Latin translations.

I'm a crazy and confused individual from time to time, and do weird things, but I'm not harmful, I don't bite (hard :p). I'm just human like all of us. In video games I always play the good character for a more Passive Story Playthrough, and an evil character for Hack & Slash Action Playthrough and laughs. Laughs for both actually (Good/Evil).

Who are you? :)

Edited by Osvir

Isn't the mask suppressing the ID and reaching for the darkest desires more accessible? Who is Jason without the mask? Would V be anybody remotely attractive without the mask? Then there is the question of the super hero, "putting on the mask". But maybe we are super heroes already, with or without the mask. That is what I like to think at least :)

That was a great post, regardless, Felithvian :)

I'd like to run a brewery in PE.

Have my ale and mead renowned across the land.

Now THAT is a great post! Awesome! You just made my day! :D

Edited by pipboy2000

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

Ill probably roll a Cipher. Close enough to a mage to interest me yet (possibly) different enough to inject some new blood into the class. If that class doesnt grab me Ill fall back to my trusty Paladin, so I can use the PE version of the Holy Avenger and smite some evil.

It's hard to say without making a character as I tend to come out with the character as I go through the character creation process. That said I usually go a middle of the road, more good than evil play-through first off. After that I tend to go with a ruthless and selfish character. Still without the setting it's really hard to tell. I made a mage in DA:O intending to be good but seeing the setting and how mages were treated I definitely was more 'evil.'

Edited by Pshaw

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I've set up my own secret society, in fact I've set up two, not that either knows of the other's existence. Like-minded people who believe intelligence and wisdom are key to progress. I've also set up a trade organisation. I started out in -Big Big City One- But I want to broaden my horizons and that of my organisations, And the port city of -Big Big City 2- seems like an excellent place.

I'm charming, friendly, polite, a great friend and a terrifying enemy. If you stand in my way I will destroy you, your family, your business, and the soil you walked on, just to be sure. But I will do so quietly.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I've set up my own secret society, in fact I've set up two, not that either knows of the other's existence. Like-minded people who believe intelligence and wisdom are key to progress. I've also set up a trade organisation. I started out in -Big Big City One- But I want to broaden my horizons and that of my organisations, And the port city of -Big Big City 2- seems like an excellent place.

I'm charming, friendly, polite, a great friend and a terrifying enemy. If you stand in my way I will destroy you, your family, your business, and the soil you walked on, just to be sure. But I will do so quietly.

Is it like a Fight Club? First rule of JFSOCC's club is that there is no JFSOCC's club.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

^What if we are "playing" the game right now? Metaphorically speaking of course.

All we have are race and class names and vague descriptions to go with established RPG stereotypes about the races & classes which have them, and close to zero information about the actual game rules, mechanics, world, story, etc.

You're not "playing the game," you're "imagining playing what you imagine the game will be." Which is not playing the game, because it would only be through astronomically good luck that your imagined game wound up being the same as the game that will be produced. And even then, nobody else is privy to the finished game that exists in your head, so how are we to "play the game" without access to that information?

Edited by AGX-17

Is it like a Fight Club? First rule of JFSOCC's club is that there is no JFSOCC's club.

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you.
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

You misunderstand AGX-17, kind of asked for it though :)

This thread is about us being material for P:E NPC's. Not about the character creation/mechanical process (in essence: not about how the game is played), but about the writing/creative process.

P:E will be a world with tons of NPC's. There will be barmaids, blacksmiths, scholars, teachers, students, beggars, shopkeepers, warehouse personnel, Paladins, preachers, doomsayers, town criers, a random couple. A random enemy in the wilds. Druids, Mayors, Wizards, Ciphers, Barbarians, Cultures, Factions, Gods. Several different races with more NPC's. There is going to be TONS of characters and not just the "Commoner 1-352". Sure all of them won't have fully fleshed out backgrounds but Obsidian has to draw some inspiration from somewhere. Some will be quest givers, some will be randoms.

One of the things that made Baldur's Gate epic, in my opinion, was the NPC's. Most of these NPC's were just names, some were more important and some were less important, some were friendly and some were enemies, but as a whole they were all important.

Excerpt from OP:

I believe that "Everything" is "Material".

Reading some on the P:E Wikia I see relations between this board and what is being said there. I don't know if it is one way or the other (we are inspired by the Wikia or the Wikia is inspired by the forums). If the Wikia is inspired by the forums then your username and how you write here is also possibly an inspiration to characters and the world itself in P:E.

Edited by Osvir

While I'd like to get Sir Terrence the Eternal Coward through the game, I obviously need to go through with Alex the Master of Magic and Fitness and Rye, Lady Shadowstalker first. Running away is a nice relief after bashing a lot of heads in.

I am not going to be anyone in the game. The PC will be a zealous Paladin who is more interested in smiting the foes of his order and slaying multitudes of creatures than curing the ill and protecting people(offense over defense essentially). He will be over-confident, stubborn, and highly opinionated, but not evil or cruel.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 1 year later...

I know this might sound strange to some, but I would love to see some actual cultural positive latinamerican tropes. Being from a far away place and being exposed constantly to classical english fantasy tropes I must say theres a lot of RL white european tropes mixed in there.

If this game wants to portray realistic societies and NPCS, I think they all need to stay away from white european knights, scholarly asian based cultures and dark skinned foreign "arabic" themes ...

In Latinamerica alone there are neighbouring countries that not only do not even remotely speak the same language sometimes, even when both speak spanish, but every 100km there are such contrasts in customs , even within the same country that you could literally be in another.

I for once , following this trend, would be a local machete wielding medicine man (called Mojan where I am from) that deals with polymorphing techniques into several trees,animals and even rocks to deal with unfriendly medicine men, spirits and angry enemy tribes as I drink rum and smoke tobacco to appease my Patron and ask for more powers. I would go at the forefront of incursions into enemy lands to steal cattle and women shielding my apprentices and protecting the sneaky shadowbound warriors ( that could be another class or npc on their own that use bow and arrows to kill silently, and they are actual units in our real life military in Venezuela that work alone or in packs defending our jungle heavy borders with Brasil and Colombia, mostly targetting drug lord armies and para military armies of no known allegiance)

Theres so much stuff to take away from Latinamerica in terms of fully fleshed magical and earthly NPCS.

Would love to see a bigger influence in modern games, thats all

Cheers!

• Like 2

Whatever I am, I am a lazy bastard!

Absolutely yes!  I am the Arch Procrastinator.  I will literally do anything to avoid doing work.  Even if that involves a vast investment of time and energy itself.

"Bow down and tremble before my almighty...oh I can't be arsed!"

There is no 'rolling', only creation.