Name a single writer whose work you hope most influences the story/tone of P:E

Iceberg Slim, I learned everything from that man.

I'll agree that Modern RPGs don't have enough pimps, or affection for the art of pimping.

Just one? Yeesh, there are so many great writers out there. I mean you have Terry brooks, with the Shannara novels, taking place in a fantasy world that seems to have a distant technological past. Then you have Piers Anthony with the Xanth novels, and, let's face it, if your puns don't grow on trees then you're doing it wrong. H.P. Lovecraft with a grand mythos written in that almost clinical old style that, in a way, makes them even more a joy to read. And let's not forget Philip Pullman, with his Dark materials works. Donald Moffit and that gloriously far thinking, though probably not very accurate, life beyond the life of humanity account that is Second Genesis. Gibson and works like Idoru and Mona Lisa Overdrive. The hilarious, and yet sad, Monster Blood Tattoo series from D.M. Cornish and so many more great reads . . .

Still if I had to narrow it down, I'd probably come down to one of these two:

1. C.S. Friedman, who, being a writer of both Fantasy and Sci-fi and mixed/other works, spans a great deal of genres well, and writes them with thought. One of their best, in my mind, being This Alien Shore, which, I think is one of my favorite science fiction stories ever. Still, as I said, they have a great hand in fantasy as well, and I wouldn't be sad at all to see a similar style.

2. Then you have one I find very few people to have read, S.D. Tower, and, specifically, the Assassins of Tamurin, a low fantasy setting novel, for the most part, that I've read again and again. Most every one of the usual fantasy tropes is missing, like Elves and Dwarves, with various Human races instead - and not our Human races. It's a fine book, and one I always feel needs more attention.

However, all that said, having played enough Black Isle and Obsidian games by now . . . the truth is, I know exactly what sort of writing I'd want an Obsidian game to resemble even more specifically. Their own style of writing, that I've experienced again, and again, and have come to love quite dearly.

• Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Steven Erikson, author of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I'm only half-way through with the first book (out of ten or so), and already I find the setting awesome (something like a cross between Faerun and Tamriel/Morrowind). It's a high fantasy world (mages can level whole cities in minutes), so maybe that's not quite in keeping with the low-level nature of Project: Eternity, but then so was BG1. And epic levels (and spells) came later in BG2 and Throne of Bhaal.

Anyway, I like the concept of gods in Erikson's books, because humans don't necessarily like them meddling in their affairs. Mages prefer the gods to stay out of their way.

I think George R. R. Martin will have an influence, whether we like it or not. I think he already influenced Dragon Age: Origins before the TV series brought it to the mainstream attention. So when Obsidian says they can handle mature themes now, I hope they go the R. R. way. Just don't overdo it.

Terry Pratchett is too ridiculous to be taken as a full-frontal influence, but his handling of certain fantasy tropes is a good example to follow. I'm thinking of terms and plot devices like 'narrative causality' (the Planescape setting sort of recognized this through the Rule of Three, Center of All, an the Unity of Rings concepts) - an unseen force that makes characters do what the Story demands of them (the valiant hero must save the princess, etc.). The wizards and witches of Discworld can sense these forces at work, while normal people cannot.

Thematic magic comes to mind when I speak of Planescape and Discworld. The witch Lilith specializes in Mirror Magic (standing between two or more mirrors, she becomes more powerful and can 'look' through any reflection anywhere). Planescape - Torment had the character of Ravel Puzzlewell, whose theme was brambles and vines (in keeping with Sigil's razorwine, perhaps - the appearance of which she may even be the cause?). Elves of the Discworld excel at mind domination and glamor (illusions which make them appear beautiful and exotic, when they are quite the opposite in their true form). I hope to see some thematic magic at work in the world of Project: Eternety, and something that is not more of the same-old "elemental conflict" (fire, water, earth, air).

Tolkien is an obvious influence, without whose input Project: Eternity (and D&D for that matter) would probably not exist. But instead of the Lord of the Rings, perhaps the devs should look to Silmarillion for inspiration. I would love for P:E to have an abundant mythology to browse through as we find books and notes (world creation, understanding of magic, gods, forces of nature and of mind, etc.).

I'm sorry; I understand this wasn't a single writer, but gods forbid that devs should look to just one for inspiration. :)

• Like 1

I'm gonna name more than one. Yes. **** the system! :ban:

Jack Kerouac: Travelling is bland for most of the RPGs I've played. Make travelling interesting with cool people to meet, interesting discussions - like Kerouac did with On the Road.

Terry Pratchett: For the not-so-dead-serious-parts of the game.

David Eddings: Because he made really engaging characters.

Neil Gaiman: His takes at absurd situations are simply awesome.

• Like 2

Elan_song.gif

Glen Cook - As much as i'd love entire P:E to be dark fantasy I'm sure many people wouldn't like it to be that way. So I can only hope for Obsidian to include some hints of the motifs present in the Black Company. It always reminded me of the Myth games for the PC. Especially the first one. And yeah, I agree with Domigorgon - Erikson and his Malazan Book of the Fallen is an excellent series with many original ideas (especially regarding gods and their interaction with humans).

• Like 3

I second Steven Erikson, author of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Avellone in a comment did mention Deadhouse Gates so he has read at least part of the series. Other than that, G.R.R Martin and Joe Abercrombie are good influences,as is Scott Bakker.For a mix of technology and magic Adrian Tchaikovsky, author of the Shadows of the Apt series has an interesting take in the matter

For a Holy Order, I really enjoyed the Sanctuary in "The Left Hand of God" by Paul Hoffman. It seems to be in the right Era as well. Gunpowder has just been discovered (in Book 2, it's a Trilogy) and is considered to be "Magic". It is not "Fantasy", but definitely fictional. Not the best of the best stories altogether, a little bit teeny but I enjoyed it. I wouldn't want the general consensus of the book be an inspiration, but the Sanctuary.

The Sanctuary is the Redeemer's Stronghold. A Prison and a Military Establishment. The Religious folk kidnap children, or buy children and train them. If the children do not follow regulations or act suspiciously = Death. It is a cruel place and the children are pitted against each other to fight to the death as well as grow stronger. They barely have any armor at all but follow the more "mobile" and "strategical" ways.

There is one battle where an army of Full Plate guys against the Monkish guys, the Full Plate army looses because of mud and rain, they all fall at the front lines to their deaths. With a constant push from the back, the guys in Full Plate are being pushed into the deadly Redeemers. It was rather stupid to read to be honest but it was still a cool battle.

The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield has a really nice story pacing and traveling roots. It is more of a "Self-Fulfilling" book a la "Peace. Love. Respect and Understanding" but the traveling is great. It tells a story of how important coincidences are. Very spiritual and soul-y.

George R R Martin. A song of ice and fire, fever dreams, windhaven all prove that this man can write, and not only one type of story. From the short to the epic, from scifi to fantasy, from movie/tv-series scripts (I am thinking about "beauty and the beast", not "a game of thrones" btw) to books. He can even write romance that doesn't become cheesy.

• Like 2

Neil Gaiman

Umberto Eco

H.P. Lovecraft

Thomas Ligotti

Robert E. Howard

George R.R. Martin

Neal Stephenson

Terry Pratchett

Steven Erikson

Glen Cook

Yo Mama

Edited by Agelastos
  • Like 5

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

George R.R. Martin for political conflict.

Good luck getting him though.

Oh, no, I don't mean a writer who you hope they hire. That's obviously out of the question and would severely limit the choices.

For example, what prompted me to post this thread was a review of Mask of the Betrayer in which the reviewer made comparisons between it and Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. I hadn't really thought of it that way, but when I did, I could understand how someone could make that comparison.

In any case, yeah, I'm a big George R.R. Martin fan, so I'll agree with this selection. Give me a world of political intrigue, a world which has a backstory which it never feels obligated to explain in every detail. Give me magic that actually feel mysterious and...well, magical. Give me a lot of people who cannot be clearly defined as 'the good guy' or 'the bad guy', though don't hesitate to also give me a fair number of people ala Ramsay Snow or Joffrey Baratheon who are so completely vicious they may Sauron look like a girl scout and make you really want to kill them. Do not make the 'good guys' win every battle just because their good. And so forth.

• Like 1

Authors for their ideas? Or authors for their style...?

I agree mystery is absolutely necessary for this to be pulled off well. You can't tell a good fantasy story by telling it. You need to show it. And you can't possibly show us everything. So show us what you can and have us infer the rest. Don't treat the audience like they're unable to do this, even if they really can't. Leaving things left unsaid creates a mood unconsciously, even if it's not understood.

Video games aren't books, so you can get a ton of mileage out of audiovisuals. VTMB accomplishes more in the sound of a car alarm and its ambient apartment music than I got playing through the tutorial mission of Kingdoms of Amalur.

Of course, don't be oblique. Give us detail. You need to give detail to build a world. But don't explain. Show. Make us accept what is being shown.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

From what I've experienced, Martin's "mature" fantasy basically involves lots and lots of sex. Which isn't mature at all.

Blame HBO, not GRRM. Not saying ASoIaF doesn't have its fair share of gratuitous sex, because it does, but its really only the HBO series that takes this almost to the point of self-parody, as if some guy is standing on set demanding to see **** every five minutes.

• Like 2