The man said it's not so bad to have some fun...

So long as it's not the adolescent Joss Whedon-esque humour used in Dragon Age 2 and others then i'm fine with it, that painfully infantile supposed "wit" really needs exterminating in a blast furnace. I believe it's called "snarky."

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So long as it's not the adolescent Joss Whedon-esque humour used in Dragon Age 2 and others then i'm fine with it, that painfully infantile supposed "wit" really needs exterminating in a blast furnace. I believe it's called "snarky."

Oh god, no Joss Whedon stuff, please and thank you.

• Like 2

So long as it's not the adolescent Joss Whedon-esque humour used in Dragon Age 2

QFT

Dave Gaider used to write good dialogue for games until he started worshipping at the altar of Buffy.

The original BG 1 / 2 games had a decent balance between a serious quest, some moving stuff and gonzo moments. Little brush-strokes of humour is needed, because traditionally Obz goes for some serious themes.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

The best way to do these kinds of things is to incorporate humor as something that happens in the daily lives of the people living in the world just like it happens in our lives. Comedy sometimes happens even when nobody's expecting it and it's done best when it feels part of the world.

Sometimes weird and funny things happen in our lives and they enrich them. It should feel the same way for P:E. It's not a stand-up routine.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

http://fallout.wikia...n_Herd_(Fallout)

This encounter was inspired by a prank Timothy Cain used to play in the MUD Darker Realms, where he would teleport cows who had similar dialogue into a friend's work room. A similar joke is present in Blizzard's Diablo, when played with Hellfire add-on.

<3

EDIT: I have to say thank you for this one Tim. This is one of the most memorable scenes from Fallout for me :) I thought I was going to get a difficult mutant encounter, I think it went something like this:

"Oh snap, random encounter!"

*sees Brahmin, breathe of relief... then...*

"Wtf!?" :blink:

*bursts out laughing into tears*

Edited by Osvir

Oh god, no Joss Whedon stuff, please and thank you.

But... Firefly... ;(

• Like 3

Elan_song.gif

The people who have no wit are the ones who use the term "snark" in place of "dry wit" or "sardonic humor."

So long as it's not the adolescent Joss Whedon-esque humour used in Dragon Age 2

QFT

Dave Gaider used to write good dialogue for games until he started worshipping at the altar of Buffy.

The original BG 1 / 2 games had a decent balance between a serious quest, some moving stuff and gonzo moments. Little brush-strokes of humour is needed, because traditionally Obz goes for some serious themes.

David Gaider's work in DAO was simply sub-par. Loghain, "tactical genius straegtist," just blunders into what looks like a pre-planned alliance with Arl Howe (who just thought it was a good idea to murder the 2nd most powerful lord in the realm at a time when he had no expectation the king's army wouldn't slaughter his rebellion,) to overthrow the king and take power for himself but it was just "WHOOPSIE COINCIDENCE!" according to Gaider's own words on the Bioware forums.

Edited by AGX-17

Planescape: Torment was a dead serious game for the most part. But you also had Morte, who made reference to the Head of Vecna and whose voice actor more or less used his Yakko Warner voice.

I'm personally hoping for a Morte-like character.

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.

• 2 months later...

Good points all around. I'm just saying I want to be entertained. I'm not looking for the equivilant of the Bataan Death March to impart high drama. Life is a brutal enough grind. I game - ©RPGs in particular - as an escape to relax and enjoy myself. Trudging through constant woe and misery ain't my idea of fun. Maybe I'm  just not sophisticated enough for Russian authours. I'm of the school, 'I don't know if it's art, but I know what I like.'

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!

How does that increase business for the innkeeper?

The locations visited are close to the inn. Adventurers would need to rest after exerting themselves.

I've seen that general idea done in multiple games. Just off the top of my head:

In Oblivion on that boat-inn in the Imperial City, the boat gets hijacked because the owner/innkeeper spun some fanciful treasure ship tale.

And there's a mission in Borderlands 2 where Marcus scams some nerd into buying a "legendary gun" because he's the "chosen one who will save pandora" (sending said nerd to his certain death,) and he sends you after him because he accidentally gave the nerd he sent to die $10 in change instead of $1.

A merchant huckster selling a "legendary weapon" with flattery and faux-prophecies sounds more believable than an innkeeper telling people (his source of revenue,) to leave his inn (his place of business,) and go on a quest for something that doesn't exist. If the innkeep sent you off to your death, he'd lose potential repeat business. If you came back empty-handed, he would certainly not profit.

Both are actually believable. The inn-keeper is spreading stories to get adventurers to come in the general vicinity of his/her inn, I think if it is presented as something that got out of hand for the inn-keeper(like the inn is just too busy) would make it even better. A snake-oil salesman would also be quite funny, especially if his potions actually ended up working(unbeknownst to said salesman).

But like I said, the adventurers are going to know the Innkeeper lied once they get to the destined treasure and find nothing. If this is just some bumpkin country inn the adventurer is more liable to just rob or kill the innkeep than to pay him more money. Snake oil salesmen were nomadic by necessity, because when people found out they were being cheated, they tended to want justice or revenge. An innkeeper is tied to his inn, he can't just pick up and move the inn 500 leagues away once everyone knows he's a swindler.

At any rate, the idea of being cheated or scammed isn't really a source of humor for the player who is being cheated. Unless the player is strange and likes being cheated out of something of value.

Edited by AGX-17