Idea for a god - Any comments and only well fleshed out ideas here

Deithebile - The 'First Tree' with acquired sentience. The deity acquired sentience over millenia as fauna waxed and waned over the course of time and it is debated wether Deithebile has deity status - diety status has however been attributed to Deithebile as it has an immortality of sorts and has a great level of control over the habitat and inhabitants it its sphere of influence.

Diethebile is a peculiar deity in a sense that it is bound by its gargantuan fixed physical self and has a purpose that is barely know. What is know is that the area surrounding the mighty tree is densely vegetated and contains the treetop citadel of Bile Crannog. This entire area is know as the realm of Deithebile.

On occasion, Deithebile has communicated with certain druids and rangers - the first know occurence of this was during 'the awakening'; which is the first recorded instance of sentience. During this time Bile Crannog was founded, and the various principals on which the town still bases itself were established. Some scholars speculate that the young god required a symbiotic relationship with the sentient races in order to ensure its security as it is on one hand one of the most vulnerable of dieties as it can simply be razed to the ground but on the other hand can potentially be one of the most powerful in that it has an incredibile loyalty from the denizens of Bile Crannog due to actually providing for them a bountiful livelihood. Some of the more sceptical scholars believe that it is Diethebile's intention to gradually spread its presence over the entire known world; although most aren't concerned about this prospect as it will surely take many more mellenia until such an outcome could occur.

Bile Crannog is a peculiar place where the doctrine is to 'live off & with the land'. People don't interfere with the vegetation; however with the intervention of Deithebile, the surrounding lands tend to 'accomodate' the increase diversity and size of the population of Bile Crannog by revealing new treetop and ground clearings to construct various buildings and by revealing new and larger pathways in the surrounding forests to accomodate increased logistics needs. Contrary to the usual trend of increased deforestation that follows in the path of a growing city, the forested lands tend to expand in size to support the increased needs of the town as in turn the influence of Deithebile slowly increases.

The town consists only of those that live in tune with nature and also has a strong economy that exports the famed and scarce sap that comes from Deithebile - the sap is famed for it's healing properties which is a very rare commodity in the world and fetches astronomical prices. It is anticipated that Bile Crannog will eventually swell to this size of a city. One of the stranger customs of the land is to 'bury' the recently deceased of the city by dropping them into a mighty tree hollow that exists in Diethebile, it is veiwed that by doing this the spirit of the deceased has more likelyhood of making there way back to Diethebelle in the next life, some wonder as to what the real implications of this tradition might actually be.

Please like this idea, it came to me and I think it could be really cool and a concept around this could be interesting in terms of potential future conflicts as well as just a really neat environment.

Edited by Kronos
  • Like 1

The Mana Tree! :D

Yeah that was my first reaction, too.

More to the point though, I take issue with nomenclature:

Diethebile sounds way too much like deathbile, that doesn't sound very fitting for a Tree of Life/World Tree/Yggdrasil analogue. Bile itself evokes negative imagery, because bile is a digestive fluid from the small intestine. To name a place "bile" would imply a lot of disembowelment at the very least.

Anyway, like I've said in some of the other threads, there are animist religions like Shinto that regard every tree as having its own spirit and can consider the biggest, most aged trees to be gods in their own right.

• Like 1

It could also be a very powerful genius loci that the locals worship as a god.

• Like 1

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

As I stated in my thread here http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/62556-the-man-said-its-not-so-bad-to-have-some-fun/ I'd like to see some fun gods in the pantheon like you might see on Discworld. In this particular case....

As an example as we're discussing the PE pantheon of late I'd like to see maybe a few silly deities thrown in for comic effect. Perhaps your party could stumble across a cult and engage in a bit of fun hijinx without the hacking and slashing. In this case let's call them The Order of Perspicuous. Perspicuous is the Lord of the Obvious. His followers exist because they feel that the most obvious things in the world are, well, obviously the most important. Let's face it, the gods wouldn't have made them so obvious if they didn't want everyone to notice them. So by their way of thinking, the more obvious something is, the more important/holy it is. Secrets and the hidden things of the world are the sole purview of evil!

Maybe we get Derpy Hooves into the pantheon somehow.

:)

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!

Dude, you posted, this exact post in 4 diffrent topics, and to be honest it isn't really that much cool, or original. In fact you didn't posted anything else, so I got wonder how much, is it you trying to improve game, and how much is it forecing your idea to be made by someone else, If you want gigant tree of life than write a book or short story about it,

Edited by Cryticus

Suppose it was just something that I really liked... Not really out to offend anyone about my tree idea ;) Haven't gotten around to as much posting as I'd like with a new born baby and all that jazz. Anyway, this is what forums are for, to express your veiws. If I want to post the same thing a hundred times or once that is my perogative. What I was really getting at was to have some nicely fleshed out concepts of deities.

PS: The name comes from Druidic text.

Deithe being druidic for: "gods" (actually a superior elder race, which while

far more wise and powerful than mortals are likewise bound by

the basic laws of the universe; it is never used in the singular for

an individual).

Bile (pronounciation 'bili') being druidic for: any large, isolated sacred tree.

Crannog being druidic for: artifical island dwelling.

I was just playing around with some stuff on this one and might have gotten a little over-eager on my postings.

Edited by Kronos