What could have been...

Guest The Architect

Guest The Architect

I haven't posted in the Star Wars section for years. Ah man, if only...

1. There was a Kotor III, set a few years after Kotor II, not 300 years after.

2. The Exile wasn't killed off.

3. The player was allowed to set the gender, alignment and appearance of Revan & The Exile.

4. The game was about the new main character gathering all forces possible (Republic, Jedi, Sith, Mandalorian, HK droids) to go and fight the Emperor and his forces.

5. The game was a single player RPG, not an MMO.

It would've been sweet.

If Revan & The Exile were set to light side, they would've been pseudo-Sith leading a rebellion against the Empire.

If Revan & The Exile were set to dark side, they would've merely been attempting to become the new Emperor.

But oh no, that would've been too hard to do.

If Obsidian ever got to make another Kotor game, I'd love to see them finish what they started. **** the MMO. Having said that, a new story would be just as good.

I hear ya. I was so disappointed with the MMO notion when it was announced (and which I didn't buy) ...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Guest The Architect

Same. Never played an MMO in my life. Never will.

I was reading about what happened to The Exile on Wookieepedia. There are amateur writers who could have done a better job at using Revan & The Exile in a story than what BioWare ended up doing and that's without resorting to canon either.

I would also have preferred it to have been a single-player game. Be it related to the KotOR games or some completely unrelated SW story.

As one that have tried the MMO I will also say that in many cases it felt like a single player game. I sure could get through the good parts without talking to any other human being.

That said I am not sure how much we should blame the MMO for the situation with Revan and Meetra Surik. Much of it is from the book Star Wars: The old Republic: Revan which was actually released before the MMO. Both are probably written in conjunction given how deeply some of the characters from that book is tied into the MMO story but the blame might be on Drew Karpyshyn and not Bioware. It could also just be that they where trying to match Lucas writing of Anakin :p

That is not to say I cannot say a lot of bad things about the MMO (I wrote 3 pages to bioware in my "why did you stop your subscription" reply), but I will let that rest, no need to start an hour long rant.

I will however say that I cannot remember how many times I have thought "had this been a good RPG I would have had option X". A MMO just feels like a bad place to tell interactive stories.

I am not sure how I would have written the stories had I been in their situation. There could probably have been made something interesting with the storyline they have. The result they delivered however is something I would consider great, it is way too linear.

At least we can hope that There will be some decent CRPG's set in the SW universe, but until that happens I guess we will have to stick with the ones we do have.

*waves to Archie*

I still have an active subscription to SWTOR and really loved it, though I haven't played it in a while. It is NOT KOTOR 3 in any way, though. But, as someone who does enjoy MMO's it's its own kind of fun. Huttball is absolute genius as far as pvp games goes and is a blast to play with a halfway decent team.

But I still yearn for what could have been. Just read the Revan book and was really annoyed by how one dimensional they made the Exile, and yes, I have read a lot of fan fiction that was written just as well (if not better) and was much more satisfying. The Revan story was halfway decent, I suppose, and got him frozen in time so he could show up in the MMO 300+ years later, but they made the Exile a prop. It was very disappointing.

So yesterday I fired up another game of KotOR 2 after purchasing it (for the umpteenth time) on Steam. So I'll use that for my fix for a while.

Right now, with my Disney buyout of Lucasfilm, my greatest hope is that they'll make a live action KOTOR / KOTOR 2 tv series eventually. I figure I've got 15 years or so to wait, but when it does get done, I'll watch it. Or whatever else they put on, because face it, when it comes to Star Wars I'm easy. :)

Edited by qt3.14159

Anybody here catch that? All I understood was 'very'.

I can recommend the TSLRCM mod. Works like a charm on the Steam version of Kotor2 (remember to disable automatic updates etc.) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest The Architect
*waves to Archie*

Hi pi girl, how you been?

I heard Kotor2 is on Steam now, Gorth. Remastered and all. Would be good with TSLRCM mod for sure. I might get around to another playthrough, I'm not going to let the MMO ruin those great games.

Hiya.

Yeah, me and Zbyl are playing the MMO now... definitely would have prefered a SP KOTOR3.

The story isn't all too shabby, but too much (bad) combat, griding, pointless areas, running and oh-god-respawning-enemies-die...

(just to sum up some stuff)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I really wanted to like the MMO. But the Bounty Hunter story was so bad. :(

And I can't bring myself to try another with that bad taste in my mouth.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

From a computer game perspective the stories are bad simply due to them being horribly linear. I remember running through the knight storyline with both a pure light and pure dark character and I hardly noticed any difference (killing a character is not really a difference if you never see them again anyway). For the Victory scene I noticed one different sentence and that in a situation where the extremely anti sith jedi should have been putting my darkside monstrocity to the sword. Add to that that something like 90-95% of the questing/levelling content is identical for all classes for the same faction and levelling is suddenly very repetetive.

That makes it extra problematic that a major part of their endgame content is rolling another character to see their story.

Guest The Architect

I mean they could've just mentioned in the MMO that Revan and the Exile delayed the Emperors invasion plans and kept them mysterious. Instead they slap this canon **** on you. Obsidian wouldn't have done something like that.

Anyway, will this droid planet mod be downloadable on the Steam version of Kotor II?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Architect

You know what would have been cool? If Obsidian could've done a mod where you continue playing as the Exile. You travel to the unknown regions and discover that Revan had been fighting in a civil war amongst the Sith empire. You help Revan defeat the emperors forces.

If Revan and the Exile were light side, then they return to known space, gather the remaining allies and defeat the remaining Sith.

If Revan and the Exile were dark side, then they fight for the title of Sith emperor.

If one was light and one was dark, the light side player tries to redeem the dark side player.

Problem solved. You set the third Knights of the Old Republic 100 years after the second one.

But BioWare's MMO ****ed that all up.

Edited by The Architect