The Mega Dungeon and consequence

So should every new monster you encounter anywhere in the world have a blurb about it that appears and outlines its capabilities for those who decided to Ironman the first playthrough?

I was referring to the mega dungeon only.

We've already heard from the devs that there will be bottlenecks in the game, so they can about gauge at what level you will encounter what monsters. I think a lot of areas will be unlocked once you have progressed, so that makes it easier to anticipate what monsters you will face.

If you stock the mega dungeon with critters from lvl 1 to lvl 20, it makes it kind of hard to prepare for what's coming for you.

There doesn't need to be a blurb, maybe when you go down a level you could encounter a very small number of foes so you can get a feeling for how tough they are without getting wiped. Of course good escape mechanisms would also help.

From what i remember i thought watchers keep was actually one of the better aspects of TOB, i do think that the dungeon needs to be well designed and a linear 15 levels with a big fight at the end of each would be incredibly boring.

In regards to the Ironman situation as long as the dungeon gets progressively harder you should be able to scrape through a tough battle and decide to go no further for now.

Tough fights that are outwith the general difficulty progression could be easily announced with loads of corpses, giant spider webs. etc.. Also throwing in the ability to flee as described in another thread would fit this quite well.

Personally i would like the dungeon to feel like it was part of the world and not just a random 15 levels of tough fights, this could be done by making it notorious thorughout the world, with the best "adventurers" heading down there to test their mettle, other partys you can either help or hinder etc..

Would also like to see a town/stronghold of sorts outside the dungeon which would make sense if it was a notoriously dangerous but profitable location, with taverns full of hardened adventurers, shops with decent gear, perhaps the occassional attack which the town has to defend etc..

Lore found throughout the world could tell tales of great warriors who left for the dungeon to never return, you could then find them (and their awesome gear) dead on a high level.

Things like that i think would make it a more enjoyable experience for those who dont enjoy the dungeon crawling aspect of RPGs as much as the story experience.

• Like 3

Personally i would like the dungeon to feel like it was part of the world and not just a random 15 levels of tough fights, this could be done by making it notorious thorughout the world, with the best "adventurers" heading down there to test their mettle, other partys you can either help or hinder etc..

Would also like to see a town/stronghold of sorts outside the dungeon which would make sense if it was a notoriously dangerous but profitable location, with taverns full of hardened adventurers, shops with decent gear, perhaps the occassional attack which the town has to defend etc..

Lore found throughout the world could tell tales of great warriors who left for the dungeon to never return, you could then find them (and their awesome gear) dead on a high level.

That's basically what I meant when I said cues should be taken from ToEE.

I can definitely see a small village near the dungeon.

The hamlet of Villoge

Or even just a small keep. Something you can use as a base for your raids.

Make it epic!

• Like 1

Just a thought: it would be really cool if the dungeon was almost a "write your own story" scenario whereby at the end despite the fact there was no relevance to the main plot you could still feel like it was a relevent and epic part of your partys travels as opposed to a grind fest.

For example

1. Interactions with other adventurers whom you can meet outside and inside the dungeon (thus making the dungeon feel like part of the greater gameworld).
  2. Dungeon being a big part of the game lore as previously stated.
  3. Multiple solutions to any mini quests within the dungeon, such as laying a spirit to rest to advance or just smashing its face in with magic missles etc..
  4. Multiple routes? / hidden passages?
  5. Reaching a depth/level noone else has, and the game recognising you for that.
  6. Satisfying conclusion that impacts on the gameworld (even if it is just reputation wise and the only tangible difference is that npcs are aware of your achievements)

• Like 1

Multiple routes? / hidden passages?

Since they've advocated non-combat solutions, I'd expect some alternative routes through the dungeon, even though it's probably supposed to be a combat heavy area. We're dreaming big here tho ;)

Satisfying conclusion that impacts on the gameworld (even if it is just reputation wise and the only tangible difference is that npcs are aware of your achievements)

Absolutely. Reputation is a big thing in PE, and reaching that final objective (whatever it may be) in the mega dungeon should be recognized.

A while back a group of us were working on a net project to develop a campaign setting. We came up with an idea for an undead campaign, and I think it could be adapted to this dungeon. Here it is in a nutshell:

This is a bleak, barren world in which all of the lands have been consumed by the undead. Living creatures, where they still survive, hide away in isolated islands of safety around fonts of pure life force. From this world come the party of adventurers. Their ultimate goal will be to seek a means to restore life to the lands and drive back the undead hordes into the graves from whence they emerged. To do so, they eventually discover that they must seek out a legendary portal; one not designed for traveling to other places, but instead a portal of time. They must to travel back to the very moment when the undead first began to overrun the world, and somehow change the course of events.

Unfortunately, when the party finally reach this chronoportal and find a means to activate it, they find that they have been duped. An undead creature of great power tricked them into this very act. It forces its way past the party and steps into the gateway, thereby traveling back into the past. It is this very creature that unleashed the horror turned the world into an undead desert. Now, the party must now step through the portal, travel back in time, and seek a means to stop this evil beast before it can succeed.

Now, turn back to the Endless Paths. Suppose that this portal actually lies deep within this undead tomb; a construct of the mad wizard Od Nua. What his vision for this powerful portal was remains a mystery, but he was successful in completing this gateway through time. Unfortunately, a powerful undead creature stepped through the gate, and proceeded to turn the dungeon into his private stronghold. Let's call him the Soul-hater. :) Gradually this beast has been gathering the forces he needs to complete his plan, turning potent undead into his generals and the lesser undead forms into his minions. The Soul-hater does not yet have the forces necessary to conquer the world, but he is getting ever closer.

Into this mayhem step the party. After battling their way down several levels of the Endless Paths, they discover a curious figure. It is a humanoid form wrapped in a mysterious shimmering blanket of force. The being is wearing primitive garb and is poorly armed, but appears thoroughly capable. The party must seek a means to release the figure from the field, perhaps by consulting a knowledgeable sage in the city. Finally, they succeed, and the figure is released. He is defensive at first and speaks in a curious manner that is difficult to understand, but is not hostile. Gradually they draw him out and find that he is a time traveler from the distant future; a bleak, horrible realm that has come to cover the entire globe. He came back to try and stop the horrible destiny that awaits the world, only to discover that he became the very trigger that allowed it to happen. He wants to join the party and prevent the destiny that awaits them all.

What do you think? Would that be sufficient motivation to complete the Endless Paths dungeon? (Yeah, I know... it's The Terminator plot line. :) )

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."