Your GotY 2012

Katphood

I played many excellent games this year, like Alpha Protocol, but they weren't released in 2012. So my list is

• Risen 2 : I love RPG, what can I say.
  • Max Payne 3: It was an enjoyable shooter
  • Legend of Grimrock :Old school RPG

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Keyrock, you aren't breaking a cardinal rule by nominating a handheld game. But you are breaking rules by nominating a Resident Evil game :p

/hangs head in shame

What shall my punishment be, sir?

//eyes Singapore cane leaning against wall nervously

(It really is a fantastic game though) :blush:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've bought whopping 4 games that have been released this year.

Mass Effect 3

Walking Dead

Dishonored

Planetside 2 (which is F2P, can be downloaded for free)

Mass Effect 3 made me forget the whole series. Walking dead is pretty good, haven't finished it though because it started to bug with the C&C transfers. You can see clearly that Planetside 2 got released like 2 months early but it's still fun as hell. Haven't yet started with Dishonored but I expect it to be my GotY.

ME3 is the best RPG release of the year despite it being the worst of the MEs and having a horrible start and an average and underrated ending.

And, if my timeline is correct, FO:NV is the best RPG I first played in 2012.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There wasn't really any new game that totally hooked me up this year. From recent months, I liked Legend of Grimrock, FTL and Hotline Miami and I think these three are the new titles which I enjoyed the most this year. Other than that, I still mainly played New Vegas, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and some other such stuff from the years before.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I know for the PC it's not considered a 2012 game (or is it?), but for me my early front runner is the Witcher 2 for the XBox360. It's the game I've spent the most time on in 2012, and was a breath of fresh air after my disappointment over ME3.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Thinking about it the enhanced edition of Assassins of Kings is probably the standout for myself in 2012 as well, nothing really stood out as vividly or immersed me so completely in terms of the lore, characters, subtleties and choices offered.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well, since I really only seriously played 4 games this year (er...I think. I lose track), I would have to say Borderlands 2. It didn't have the longevity I was hoping for, but it was certainly the most fun during the time I was playing it. Torchlight2 was/is light fun, but not a GoTY type thing for me. Diablo 3 got mileage out of me, partly from stubborn hope and partly from "It's Diablo" habit, but its faults were too many. Risen2 was ok but nothing special, and I didn't play quite enough of it to feel comfy making a judgement.

I have Crusader Kings 2 now, but I won't have much idea how much I like it or not for a while, if ever. Walking Dead as a whole package might be ok but good chance I won't ever know. :p

....I'm terrible with games these days.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've only tried a couple of the games released this year, and found them all to be underwhelming: Mass Effect 3, Mists of Pandaria, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3 and Dishonored. Gonna buy Football Manager 2013 soon, guessing that will be my GotY, they're always good. :)

Really positive experiences this year would be Fallout New Vegas and Warlock - Master of the Arcane. I can't remember if I played Trine this year or the previous. Might have been the beginning of this one =]

I should probably add Magicka to the list. Besides, I have a number of games purchased in 2012 and installed that I haven't played yet. Might still catch up and add to my Goty list before 31/12/12. Possible candidates Crusader Kings II, Dishonored, Kings Bounty - Warriors of the North & Hearts of Iron III.

So far, Crusader Kings II.

I haven't played XCOM, although I've heard enough good things that I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Just to add a dissenting voice. XCOM gets Gorth's award for most overrated game of 2012 ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Having played Risen 2, Crusader Kings II, Diablo 3, Football Manager 2013, PES 2013,

and bits of Dishonoured, Guild Wars 2,

not having bothered with ME3 as I know I'll be bored,

I can confidently say: None. Best of the lot, is Crusader Kings II.

So far as I can remember* I've only played two 2012 games, neither of which I'd rate as a GOTY unless it was mandatory to give the award. While I liked ME3 overall it was too up and down to qualify and I'm slowly giving up hope that CK2 might be expanded into a game that fulfils its enormous promise.

*I have almost certainly played other 2012 games but I can hardly have a GOTY I need to be reminded of having played.

Been a strange year for me, I really haven't bought many games, and if I have bought something - like Diablo 3, I haven't finished it.

My backlog is so large, hell I've got stuff from way back in the 80's I'm wanting to play.

But I don't really have a game of the year at all... Mass Effect 3 is the only game I've played that came out this year *shrugs*.

I'm going to blame it on the fact that I haven't actually had my belongings with me for the last 9 months, and I've moved to two different countries.

Been playing a lot of PC games though, mostly GoG stuff...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!