Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #33: PayPal Ends Soon! Current Developments

Project Eternity Gods PayPal

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

Gauldar

Gauldar

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
How about a god of knots? This deity is the prayed to by sailors, weavers and people looking to be reunited with past acquaintances. All agreements made with this god are of course, binding until the agreement is fulfilled. He is associated with harps, spinning wheels, and in more grim cases the noose.
  • The Guildmaster, Lars Westergren, AGX-17 and 4 others like this

Vorodill

Vorodill

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
How about the god of Stories? He/she would be influencing the world to create good stories.
  • SewerCover likes this

Melanchior

Melanchior

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've never been as interested in deities as their servants or messengers. Like Hermes, or angels, solars, whatever. I think they add a dimension to the mortal-divine interaction that is often overlooked. I'd find it more intriguing if the gods themselves were distant, even uncaring, rather than having them treating the realm as their sandbox.
  • betatron likes this

blob

blob

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
A god of humility. He is hidden somewhere in the game as a simple villager and can be found as an optional quest. Maybe you would have to answer him in a way to prove your own humility to be granted a reward.

I like the previously posted idea of a celebration god, coming at random times to lighten the mood too ( hopefully at the worst and most tragic times ) :)
  • SewerCover and Sugarjaye like this

1RadScorpion

1RadScorpion

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think a god that provides for people with the born affliction of psychopathy would be interesting (as opposed to psychopathy developed by environment/nurture). These are people without analogue, unable to relate to those around them. I'm not sure if the Greek or Roman pantheons contain a god like this - one who fights for no one other than themselves. This are gods representing warfighters, those virtuous or brave, but none representing one "soulless".

And this would be a got not necessarily worshipped, but regardless, one that represents those who do nothing but take from others, and in an innate fashion. Perhaps represented by a man's body with a wolves head?

EDIT: Fixed stuff/added more thoughts.

Edited by 1RadScorpion, 27 November 2012 - 08:07 PM.

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

How about the god of Stories? He/she would be influencing the world to create good stories.

You just described a Muse.

I think a god that provides for people with the born affliction of psychopathy would be interesting (as opposed to psychopathy developed by environment/nurture). These are people without analogue, unable to relate to those around them. I'm not sure if the Greek or Roman pantheons contain a god like this - one who fights for no one other than themselves. This is no virtuous or brave god, but one "soulless"! And this would be a got not necessarily worshipped, but regardless, one that provides for those who do nothing but take from others.

The Greek god Ares is essentially what you're describing. Ares embodied to some degree the courage needed to fight a war, but to the Greeks he embodied all the worst aspects of war, dishonorable acts, chaos (which is the worst thing anyone can embody in the Hellenic worldview,) destruction, cruelty, etc. and thus they were ambivalent about him at best, at least in the intellectual class, whereas Athena is the Goddess of War and Wisdom and embodies all the noble and intellectual aspects of war.

It should come as no surprise that the people of Athens chose Athena as their patron deity over a god like Ares.

That's not even touching on the nature/nurture debate (last I checked the majority of people diagnosed as psychopaths suffered some form of childhood abuse or neglect.) Obviously there's no DSM in the world of PE, so psychopathy might not even be a thing in this world.

Edited by AGX-17, 27 November 2012 - 07:54 PM.

fortuntek

fortuntek

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
How about a God of Confusion? Has few worshippers, very little power... but manifests himself in small, misunderstood ways. This god doesn't just cause confusion, but is actually confused himself. Therefore divine interventions are rather unpredictable and misguided or unasked for (but usually rather harmless).

Edited by fortuntek, 27 November 2012 - 07:54 PM.

• mibbles and Alicorn like this

Alicorn

Alicorn

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
It would be extremely cool if the power each god has is directly linked to the worship said god receives. For example a mortal may ascend to the divine by gaining followers or a divinity could sink to mortality by losing followers. It might even be cool to have a bit where a fallen deity enters the picture, he/she may talk about spending centuries a very powerful being then slowly declining to the point that for the last few decades he has been worshiped by only a few (or ONE) person and now he has no worshipers and has become mortal again.
  • Melanchior likes this

Fireheart

Fireheart

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

I think it would be fun to have a god who disbelieves in himself. He could suffer from some sort of solipsism or some other mental disorder in which he thinks he's imagining his metaphysical existence or even thinks that he's actually dead or some sort. He continually tries to disprove not only his own existence, but the existence of the other gods. I don't know who would worship him, but it could lead to two things I consider good for a game.

1. An avenue for discussing theology that isn't destroyed by the very setting and backstory of the game

and

2. Some crazy assed funny conversations and interchanges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism http://en.wikipedia....i/Derealization

EDIT: Ya bastard! lol

How about a minor god who is trying to disprove the existence of gods? You could make it a mini-dungeon, where you get through his followers (who follow the god so he can disprove the gods) and when you finally face him, you can take him out by combat (which is possible because his own disbelief limits his divine abilities) or you can talk at him so good he poofs out of existence, like the debate memory in Planescape Torment.

Edit: A story-telling goddess relevant to the chanter class would be cool, she can wander around being a badass, righting wrongs, and telling stories, like Caine from Kung-Fu.

You beat me to it.

I had a very similar idea the first moment I thought about possible gods! A god who has forgotten about his godhood (for example by another god's curse) and thinks he lives just a normal life while his every whim has some tremendous consequences elsewhere on the planet. Would open up hilarious (or very serious) plot possibilities.

Or a god who tries to renounce his godhood and lives as a hermit in constant meditation. Maybe because he has brought great suffering when meaning well - and now does not want to be involved into mortal affairs any more. Yet, he is the only one with the power to [plot element]. The player could then try to reason with him... with a chance to get him involved again - OR be convinced by said god that the [plot element] is best achieved without godly intervention, because only more conflict and harm would arise from it.

EDIT: That last idea would also blend in very neatly with Blob's idea of a God of Humility.

Edited by Fireheart, 27 November 2012 - 07:57 PM.

• Cantousent and mibbles like this

d3n3b

d3n3b

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
A god from the far-flung future who has used technology beyond anything we can comprehend to be a god and time travel to different times and dimensions.
  • SewerCover and betatron like this

kicksdsix

kicksdsix

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
God of Frustration and Games. Its symbols could be mice, arrows, and obsidian glass.

Edited by kicksdsix, 27 November 2012 - 07:56 PM.

• mibbles likes this

ReallyWittyName

ReallyWittyName

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

How about two gods who are twin brothers/sisters, and are constantly doing things to spite/annoy the other? They could provide for some interesting encounters...

Kind of a Jeannette and Therese type deal? That would be pretty cool.

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

A god from the far-flung future who has used technology beyond anything we can comprehend to be a god and time travel to different times and dimensions.

How is that a god? If they were a god they wouldn't need technology. Also you pretty much just described The Doctor.

I'm sorry, you guys are just coming up with so many ideas that I've already seen done I can't help but try to shoot them down.

Edited by AGX-17, 27 November 2012 - 08:00 PM.

• fortuntek likes this

Ozog

Ozog

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Warlordozog
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
E'eryone likes a God of Murder/vengeance am I right?

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

The only thing I don't like about this is that it seems to be some sort of tendency in a lot of fantasy RPGs to have this 'twist' that behind all the facade is a technological cause.

XenoReaper

XenoReaper

Vault Dweller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 21 posts
Wanderlust

It is not known if Wanderlust is a deity proper, or merely a traveler's tale to scare would-be adventurers. It is said that, in life, Wanderlust had a human's name, and led a human's life. He was apparently a wizard of considerable power, and was the head of one of the realm's most influential arcane universities. He had everything an aspiring mage could want- respect, influence, and seemingly limitless knowledge at his fingertips. But, as it were, he was the last person in the world who would have asked for this.

This archmage's quest was to acquire understanding of the world around him... and nothing more. Constantly, it seemed, he had to mediate some petty political conflict between rival wizards, or intervene in some other superficial cause. For all the books he had spent accumulating, he never had the time to read them. For all the respect he had gained in his years, no one listened to the true message intertwined in his words. And so, this one man's ambitions remained, in many ways, unfulfilled.

But the archmage, even in his later years, never quite lost his edge. He did, however, begin to lose his patience. As an aged, withering soul (whether or not this is literal is entirely up to interpretation) he devised a scheme to set himself free of his commitments for good. He began to engage in a research project far more secret, and far more crucial, than any he had ever attempted. For this study, he thought, he would tolerate no interruption. For this ambitious goal, he would accept no failure. For this project... was to seal his fate forever. He would become what was known as a "lich."

It is believed that this man succeeded. He staged his own death, created a simulacrum to take his place at his funeral, and left behind all but a handful of powerful items so as not to raise suspicion. And so, for the decades or perhaps centuries since, Wanderlust travels the very edges of civilization, wanting to bother no one, and desiring nothing but to read his dusty tomes... and be left in peace. He is not unkind, they say, but who would dare cross a man who knows no limits? Who would speak to a soul that dares not speak back?

These are the mysteries that surround the one they call "Wanderlust." How appropriate, given that all he has ever wanted... was to ask questions, and never cease to do so.
  • JFSOCC likes this

kaliyama

kaliyama

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Some throw-away ideas:
1) -----, the god of silence. Lots of things you could do with his followers - reclusive monkish types with vows of silence, or half-mad aesthetes who deafen themselves to get closer to their deity, or musicians or artisans who obsess over how to create ever greater cacophonies so they can better appreciate the silence that happens when the noise stops (cue zen-ish proverbs about silence being impossible without noise).

2) Faspaux, the god of awkward moments. Courtesans, diplomats, and others who make their living in the halls of power set out small burnt offerings on a small silver tray before important summits or celebrations to ensure that this god pays them no heed.

3) Father Pour, the god of masonry. Stoneworkers and others in the construction trades worship him and fear him much as sailors are superstitious about the sea - masonry both provides a living and can kill those who work with it, either by it falling on them, or by them falling from it.

Edited by kaliyama, 27 November 2012 - 08:03 PM.

• Lars Westergren, mibbles, XenoReaper and 1 other like this

jacknash

jacknash

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
There's a god who is massively powerful, but also very wise, so he never uses his powers. He lives a humble life, masked as a mortal, and, on occasion, he will give some of his power to someone of his choosing.

- Those who are pure of heart and ignorant to the powers they possess, will not use them based on the knowledge of their effects, but on the strength of their faith. Those who knowingly use their powers will abuse and push their limits, slowly allowing them to take over. -

Edited by jacknash, 27 November 2012 - 08:07 PM.

fortuntek

fortuntek

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
How about an Exiled God? One who tried to destroy the mortal plane of existence, or once did great damage to the material realm and was cast out by the other gods in retribution and stripped of most of his godhood, and damned to live in the mortal plane for eternity. He cannot interact with worshippers like other gods, and although he does not age, is vulnerable to being harmed or killed. For this reason he lives like a hermit away from civilization because all mortal people have reason to want revenge on him. I would recommend him as a tragic figure... one who regrets his actions, but can no longer redeem himself for them.

Any quests involving him should not end in having to choose whether or not to kill him (no, that would be too obvious and over-done) but maybe convince him to help someone, or learn to trust a mortal companion.
  • XenoReaper and Sugarjaye like this

drake heath

drake heath

Lord Commissar of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 83 posts
I'd like a god who thinks he's all powerful but is really a bumbling idiot whom the other gods laugh at behind his back.

Or something like Q from Star Trek, a deity that just wants to show up mess with mortals for fun, and is quite random and foolish.

Edited by drake heath, 27 November 2012 - 08:13 PM.

• aluminiumtrioxid and mibbles like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Eternity, Gods, PayPal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users