Update #33: PayPal Ends Soon! Current Developments

How about the god of Stories? He/she would be influencing the world to create good stories.

You just described a Muse.

I think a god that provides for people with the born affliction of psychopathy would be interesting (as opposed to psychopathy developed by environment/nurture). These are people without analogue, unable to relate to those around them. I'm not sure if the Greek or Roman pantheons contain a god like this - one who fights for no one other than themselves. This is no virtuous or brave god, but one "soulless"! And this would be a got not necessarily worshipped, but regardless, one that provides for those who do nothing but take from others.

The Greek god Ares is essentially what you're describing. Ares embodied to some degree the courage needed to fight a war, but to the Greeks he embodied all the worst aspects of war, dishonorable acts, chaos (which is the worst thing anyone can embody in the Hellenic worldview,) destruction, cruelty, etc. and thus they were ambivalent about him at best, at least in the intellectual class, whereas Athena is the Goddess of War and Wisdom and embodies all the noble and intellectual aspects of war.

It should come as no surprise that the people of Athens chose Athena as their patron deity over a god like Ares.

That's not even touching on the nature/nurture debate (last I checked the majority of people diagnosed as psychopaths suffered some form of childhood abuse or neglect.) Obviously there's no DSM in the world of PE, so psychopathy might not even be a thing in this world.

Edited by AGX-17

How about a God of Confusion? Has few worshippers, very little power... but manifests himself in small, misunderstood ways. This god doesn't just cause confusion, but is actually confused himself. Therefore divine interventions are rather unpredictable and misguided or unasked for (but usually rather harmless).

Edited by fortuntek
  • Like 2

It would be extremely cool if the power each god has is directly linked to the worship said god receives. For example a mortal may ascend to the divine by gaining followers or a divinity could sink to mortality by losing followers. It might even be cool to have a bit where a fallen deity enters the picture, he/she may talk about spending centuries a very powerful being then slowly declining to the point that for the last few decades he has been worshiped by only a few (or ONE) person and now he has no worshipers and has become mortal again.

• Like 1

I think it would be fun to have a god who disbelieves in himself. He could suffer from some sort of solipsism or some other mental disorder in which he thinks he's imagining his metaphysical existence or even thinks that he's actually dead or some sort. He continually tries to disprove not only his own existence, but the existence of the other gods. I don't know who would worship him, but it could lead to two things I consider good for a game.

1. An avenue for discussing theology that isn't destroyed by the very setting and backstory of the game

and

2. Some crazy assed funny conversations and interchanges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism http://en.wikipedia....i/Derealization

EDIT: Ya bastard! lol

How about a minor god who is trying to disprove the existence of gods? You could make it a mini-dungeon, where you get through his followers (who follow the god so he can disprove the gods) and when you finally face him, you can take him out by combat (which is possible because his own disbelief limits his divine abilities) or you can talk at him so good he poofs out of existence, like the debate memory in Planescape Torment.

Edit: A story-telling goddess relevant to the chanter class would be cool, she can wander around being a badass, righting wrongs, and telling stories, like Caine from Kung-Fu.

You beat me to it.

I had a very similar idea the first moment I thought about possible gods! A god who has forgotten about his godhood (for example by another god's curse) and thinks he lives just a normal life while his every whim has some tremendous consequences elsewhere on the planet. Would open up hilarious (or very serious) plot possibilities.

Or a god who tries to renounce his godhood and lives as a hermit in constant meditation. Maybe because he has brought great suffering when meaning well - and now does not want to be involved into mortal affairs any more. Yet, he is the only one with the power to [plot element]. The player could then try to reason with him... with a chance to get him involved again - OR be convinced by said god that the [plot element] is best achieved without godly intervention, because only more conflict and harm would arise from it.

EDIT: That last idea would also blend in very neatly with Blob's idea of a God of Humility.

Edited by Fireheart
  • Like 2

A god from the far-flung future who has used technology beyond anything we can comprehend to be a god and time travel to different times and dimensions.

How is that a god? If they were a god they wouldn't need technology. Also you pretty much just described The Doctor.

I'm sorry, you guys are just coming up with so many ideas that I've already seen done I can't help but try to shoot them down.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

A god from the far-flung future who has used technology beyond anything we can comprehend to be a god and time travel to different times and dimensions.

The only thing I don't like about this is that it seems to be some sort of tendency in a lot of fantasy RPGs to have this 'twist' that behind all the facade is a technological cause.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Wanderlust

It is not known if Wanderlust is a deity proper, or merely a traveler's tale to scare would-be adventurers. It is said that, in life, Wanderlust had a human's name, and led a human's life. He was apparently a wizard of considerable power, and was the head of one of the realm's most influential arcane universities. He had everything an aspiring mage could want- respect, influence, and seemingly limitless knowledge at his fingertips. But, as it were, he was the last person in the world who would have asked for this.

This archmage's quest was to acquire understanding of the world around him... and nothing more. Constantly, it seemed, he had to mediate some petty political conflict between rival wizards, or intervene in some other superficial cause. For all the books he had spent accumulating, he never had the time to read them. For all the respect he had gained in his years, no one listened to the true message intertwined in his words. And so, this one man's ambitions remained, in many ways, unfulfilled.

But the archmage, even in his later years, never quite lost his edge. He did, however, begin to lose his patience. As an aged, withering soul (whether or not this is literal is entirely up to interpretation) he devised a scheme to set himself free of his commitments for good. He began to engage in a research project far more secret, and far more crucial, than any he had ever attempted. For this study, he thought, he would tolerate no interruption. For this ambitious goal, he would accept no failure. For this project... was to seal his fate forever. He would become what was known as a "lich."

It is believed that this man succeeded. He staged his own death, created a simulacrum to take his place at his funeral, and left behind all but a handful of powerful items so as not to raise suspicion. And so, for the decades or perhaps centuries since, Wanderlust travels the very edges of civilization, wanting to bother no one, and desiring nothing but to read his dusty tomes... and be left in peace. He is not unkind, they say, but who would dare cross a man who knows no limits? Who would speak to a soul that dares not speak back?

These are the mysteries that surround the one they call "Wanderlust." How appropriate, given that all he has ever wanted... was to ask questions, and never cease to do so.

• Like 1
vaultdweller.jpg

Some throw-away ideas:

1) -----, the god of silence. Lots of things you could do with his followers - reclusive monkish types with vows of silence, or half-mad aesthetes who deafen themselves to get closer to their deity, or musicians or artisans who obsess over how to create ever greater cacophonies so they can better appreciate the silence that happens when the noise stops (cue zen-ish proverbs about silence being impossible without noise).

2) Faspaux, the god of awkward moments. Courtesans, diplomats, and others who make their living in the halls of power set out small burnt offerings on a small silver tray before important summits or celebrations to ensure that this god pays them no heed.

3) Father Pour, the god of masonry. Stoneworkers and others in the construction trades worship him and fear him much as sailors are superstitious about the sea - masonry both provides a living and can kill those who work with it, either by it falling on them, or by them falling from it.

Edited by kaliyama
  • Like 4

There's a god who is massively powerful, but also very wise, so he never uses his powers. He lives a humble life, masked as a mortal, and, on occasion, he will give some of his power to someone of his choosing.

- Those who are pure of heart and ignorant to the powers they possess, will not use them based on the knowledge of their effects, but on the strength of their faith. Those who knowingly use their powers will abuse and push their limits, slowly allowing them to take over. -

Edited by jacknash

How about an Exiled God? One who tried to destroy the mortal plane of existence, or once did great damage to the material realm and was cast out by the other gods in retribution and stripped of most of his godhood, and damned to live in the mortal plane for eternity. He cannot interact with worshippers like other gods, and although he does not age, is vulnerable to being harmed or killed. For this reason he lives like a hermit away from civilization because all mortal people have reason to want revenge on him. I would recommend him as a tragic figure... one who regrets his actions, but can no longer redeem himself for them.

Any quests involving him should not end in having to choose whether or not to kill him (no, that would be too obvious and over-done) but maybe convince him to help someone, or learn to trust a mortal companion.

• Like 2

I'd like a god who thinks he's all powerful but is really a bumbling idiot whom the other gods laugh at behind his back.

Or something like Q from Star Trek, a deity that just wants to show up mess with mortals for fun, and is quite random and foolish.

Edited by drake heath
  • Like 2

The narrative team is creating the world almanac which contains all the information about the people and history of Project Eternity. Right now they are fleshing out the pantheon of gods. Do you have any crazy or wacky ideas for gods? Share your ideas in this forum thread!

Down on your knees you worthless worms and offer obeisance to the infinite majesty of the one and true god Socc, the deity of lost socks, who derives his power from the constant prayers by people desperately looking for matching pairs in their drawers in the morning.

On a more serious note, I like the concept of Elder Gods and Younger Gods. A small group of all powerful, cantankerous old bastards that don't give a damn about anything and a more numerous bunch of less powerful, but way more active (and meddling) bunch of deities.

Are "gods" going to represent concepts (war, trade, community etc.)? Are they going to represent objects (earth, water, beasts, forests etc.)? Are they representing personalities (like the norse gods, who had a goddess of wisdom, a god of mischief, a god of justice etc.)

• Like 5

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think a god that provides for people with the born affliction of psychopathy would be interesting (as opposed to psychopathy developed by environment/nurture). These are people without analogue, unable to relate to those around them. I'm not sure if the Greek or Roman pantheons contain a god like this - one who fights for no one other than themselves. This is no virtuous or brave god, but one "soulless"! And this would be a got not necessarily worshipped, but regardless, one that provides for those who do nothing but take from others.

The Greek god Ares is essentially what you're describing. Ares embodied to some degree the courage needed to fight a war, but to the Greeks he embodied all the worst aspects of war, dishonorable acts, chaos (which is the worst thing anyone can embody in the Hellenic worldview,) destruction, cruelty, etc. and thus they were ambivalent about him at best, at least in the intellectual class, whereas Athena is the Goddess of War and Wisdom and embodies all the noble and intellectual aspects of war.

It should come as no surprise that the people of Athens chose Athena as their patron deity over a god like Ares.

That's not even touching on the nature/nurture debate (last I checked the majority of people diagnosed as psychopaths suffered some form of childhood abuse or neglect.) Obviously there's no DSM in the world of PE, so psychopathy might not even be a thing in this world.

Fair enough about Ares, but from the (admittedly little) I know of the Greek pantheon, is that there were plenty of very specific gods. And the one I have in mind is less about embodying chaos and war, and more about embodying ... a fundamental lacking. His role is a smaller one (especially considering the power=followers idea). And while I don't really want to get into a discussion about contemporary psychoanalysis and theory, I think it's a safe bet to say that psychopathy is a simple enough affliction that it could safely exist in PE's fantasy setting.

Thanks for the reply though. Super interesting.

I think that could be cool basis for some intrigue, fortun. Maybe the Exiled god isn't completely defeated. Maybe he's just biding his time, trying to scheme. ...Or maybe he was never the bad guy the other gods accused him of being. Maybe he was trying something so radical the other gods felt threatened and sent him packing.

EDIT: Regarding Greek gods, it strikes me that we assume that the people of this world worship a god, maybe of their choosing or, more likely, one decided by them based on location. Greeks didn't worship a single god. They worshipped a variety of gods for a variety of reasons, including the consumption of meat, general revelry, agricultural and seasonal reasons, etc. Athenians had Athena as a patron deity, but they had festivals for other gods. The Romans actually had a pantheon of gods, but the primary object of worship for a Roman household were (surprise) the household deities. ...And, to varying degrees, other cultures, such as the Greeks, worshipped household deities as well. You might have a festival for one deity or another, but you prayed to the household god/goddesses to protect your home and hearth. My take is that the world is much more of a cut-throat god eat god proposition in Project Eternity.

Edited by Cantousent
  • Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'd love to see if the entire "family" or "consortium" of gods and goddesses were linked in some manner that's more unique than past storytelling has had it. Typically mythology links them in a very "nuclear family" manner - that is it's a father of all father's god, followed by the sons, daughters, brothers, etc. and I feel there should be something with more flair.

Some suggestions for this "family" of gods are as followed:

1. A "Web" of gods and goddesses, instead of a family. There is no true "head" or "father" god that holds identity over the others, instead there is this mysteriously, relatively unknown "weaver" of the gods that links the gods in some manner with one another. It's a fractal pattern of gods that have connections with each other in a unique way. Perhaps the god of the harvest cannot exist without the god of masonry; perhaps the god of war cannot influence leaders to start conflict without the god of fertility, and so on. I'd also love if the gods were in unique relationships. Rather than you typical "God of war married to Goddess of Peace" the God of War is married to the Goddess of the sea- What's essential about this storyline or concept is that there's no true center, and instead these linked pieces of a chain of gods and goddesses that rely upon one another to survive. The conflict can arise over gods trying to break the web (or repair it) or perhaps that the "weaver" is dying or missing.

2. A "cyclical" process of gods and their reign. Every few milennia there is a "curse of the dark time" in which the throne of the gods is vacant, but nobody knows how it happens, just that it always happens, and is in the hands of the mortal, therefore the hero must help the gods - perhaps the current god doesn't want to absolve his throne, and break the curse. Other gods vying for the throne want the hero to help them take it out - the twist is that the hero is the actual source of this change and he has in his hands the duty of deciding the throne of the gods (be it himself, the current god, or another god)

There should certainly be some sort of innate value about the mortal - that the mass majority of them rely and pray to the gods, but there is some evolutionary factor, and that either the gods are at the whim of some cycle of mortality or that they depend on the mortal in some factor.

There could also be some sort of classification process for gods. There could be gods you align to based on your birth, your profession, or just circumstantial gods. There couid be "Higher" gods and "Lower" gods that each have their respective realms much like Oblivion and the planes of "power" they have within. An interesting element here is that gods of Lesser status have limited powers or depend on their followers to be elevated to Higher God status, depending on their temples etc. Whereupon Higher Gods can cast a greater will on the plane of Mortality (or whatever the hero resides in)

• Like 6

I'd like a god who thinks he's all powerful but is really a bumbling idiot whom the other gods laugh at behind his back.

Or something like Q from Star Trek, a deity that just wants to show up mess with mortals for fun, and is quite random and foolish.

Q is just another example of the "trickster" character archetype, one that goes back to ancient times.

Besides, plenty of real world mythologies are full of gods who liked to mess with mortals for fun, like Zeus. Whose idea of messing with mortals for fun was turning into an animal and raping women. As an animal.

Edited by AGX-17

"String: A line that grows in unhallowed graveyards, slowly etching through wooden coffins, marble mauseleum, ceramic jars. This string binds cadavers together and dissolves their remains, leaving only dolls of string connected by its binding length. Should any cut the string, it reforms, stretching hundreds of miles aneath the soil to reunite to itself. It cannot be burnt nor destroyed but powerfully enchanted blades can cut it. It seems to seek no vengeance for any harm that comes to it, because it cannot be destroyed and moves as if through dreams, taking as much time as it desires, going deep underground and at times sprouting up like a watchtower for unknown reasons. It answers prayers and respects the dead that have been blessed by any faith. It does not disturb the undead nor the corpses of ghosts."

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60465-gods-in-eternity/page__st__40#entry1222857

• Like 2

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Duos the God(dess) of Plurality

Duos appears as a pallid man with soft features.

Or as a dark-skinned woman with hard, bony features.

Duos enjoys riddles. All of his riddles are related to the concept of duality and dualness.

Duos claims he does and does not exist.

Duos believes in the concept of balance. But enjoys finding people whom are extreme.

His riddles are usually aimed at the righteous and the wicked. He delights when he can confuse them and is angered when his riddles are ignored or easily solved.

His goal is usually to make the one he is tormenting question his/herself, to the point where he can convince them to do an "about face" - changing the charitable scholar into the murderous book-burner. Or the other way around.

Lune the God of Ignorance

Lune often appears as a blonde human, entirely ignorant of the world.

He is immortal and a god. He is so powerful, he can grant any wish he desires. However, he can be killed. When he does die, due to not eating/drinking or being killed by someone, he is simply reborn after some period of time, as another blonde human.

He is completely unaware of his power.

He does at times, understand speech. And is even capable of it himself. But most of the time, he does not know language.

The only thing he does know, is that he knows nothing. He knows only that, for certain.

At times, his senses suddenly stop working. He may stop seeing, hearing, speaking, feeling, smelling - any or all. They eventually return.

Lune does have long term/short term memory, though at times, it can be fickle. He can forget everything all at once. Usually, he speaks of the present moment or topic at hand, rarely dredging up the past or thinking towards the future.

Ironically, legends say that Lune, when he does speak says profound things that change men. For all his ignorance, he must know more than he seems to?

It is also said, that he has been abused by the powerful. He can be tricked into granting wishes or empowering or murdering or helping others.

Near the Crow God

He is the god of crows. And usually appears as one, or so they say.

He can only speak in one-word sentences, though he seems to completely understand any language spoken to him.

He blesses the dead (then eats them) and defends murders of crows, when threatened. Some territories are "protected" by him and are sacred to crows. Massive numbers of crows will nest here, making huge, tranquil societies of this odd bird, or so they say.

Near loves silver and will do favors for offerings of silver at sacred places for crows. His powers are enigmatic.

Those who have ravens or crows as familiars would do well to earn his favor.

Edited by anubite
  • Like 2

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Okay, I saw the chance to have an input on Divine creation from my email related to the Kickstarter so I jumpedt at the chance to sign up on here and place my input. I've been designing my own world with all of its rules, divines (all angelic-tier for more interesting conflicts) and what not so I'll try to work in something unique.

So what have I got to present?

Name: Durendia, Mallenion, Jothr, Light, Kalihast, whatever. For the sake of the description, I will call it by Mallenion.

Purpose: A great Divine Entity Meant for whatever it is willed

Description: Mallenion is faceless, rather a collection of great power so concentrated that it has a sort of collective conscience, it can be very much responsible for the management of leystreams to the mortal plane so that the world may have magic (optional detail of course) but that is far from its only task. For as long as it has existed, Mallenion has been heralded forth by Gods and great Mortals alike to tap into its power. For Gods, it allows them control over dominions that aren't theirs, for man, it can summon great armies from the earth, sky, and water, in other cases, it can be used to bring life to a land that is dead or save others from dying. But just because you are a god or great mortal does not mean Mallenion must bend to your will. In fact, Mallenion has at many times ignored the pleas of summons of others. It's hypothesized that Mallenion may have self-interests in mind in what it does.

Mallenion may also be an alternative in the afterlife. Some may believe that becoming apart of the power brings you to a sense of paradise and bliss as you watch over the world or wander the divine plane/mortal plane until time itself ends.

That's the best I could think of, it's loosely based off Brahman from Hinduism. If you like it, feel free to alter in any way till it fits.

Edited by Vurtax