I predict that this board will temporarily die tomorrow.

Probably that one:

The main programmer on BG1 NPC Project is a beta tester on BG:EE, so the Enhanced Edition version should be up and running before long. But the others you won't see until BG2:EE is released anyway.

It is a great mod that adds a BG2 feel to BG1 companions (even some romances).

Probably that one:

The main programmer on BG1 NPC Project is a beta tester on BG:EE, so the Enhanced Edition version should be up and running before long. But the others you won't see until BG2:EE is released anyway.

Oh yes, I know. I....ehh, I wrote the Tiax dialogues for that mod, way back when. The Tiax quest and most of what Tiax says is my work.

Probably that one:

That sounds cool, companion interaction was one of the big things that were lacking in BG1 for me (and it was very noticeable since I played them out of order...). Overall it sounds like a cool project, BG1 in the BG2 engine, though dunno how I feel about changing the movies around.

But if feel it's kind of expensive for a game I already own and I'm not exactly happy about having some company specific software forced down my throat by the shop either.

Thanks, Kumuji. I don't know how I missed that.

I....ehh, I wrote the Tiax dialogues for that mod, way back when. The Tiax quest and most of what Tiax says is my work.

Guess that makes you royalty around here, Miyagi. Not sure when I'll get to play BG1 again plus mods, but do you have any companions you'd recommend having around(other than Tiax)?

I....ehh, I wrote the Tiax dialogues for that mod, way back when. The Tiax quest and most of what Tiax says is my work.

Guess that makes you royalty around here, Miyagi. Not sure when I'll get to play BG1 again plus mods, but do you have any companions you'd recommend having around(other than Tiax)?

The reason I hesitate to admit that I'm the writer is that I don't really like the dialogues I wrote all that much. Most of them are fine, but I did two very bad things:

1) I introduced a thing where Tiax leaves the party if your reputation isn't low enough, or else gives you five days to do something horrible or else he leaves. It seemed reasonable, given that he's a priest of Cyric, but for those players who used things like the 'happy mod' to ensure NPCs would never leave regardless of reputation it was basically re-introducing a disliked feature with no way around it.

2) I assumed he would always be found in Baldur's Gate Chapter Five, because that's where he's placed originally. Little did I know they would introduce a feature sticking him in the middle of Beregost from Chapter One on. Thus, I freely used references to things like the Iron Throne that the party should know nothing about in the early game.

Aside from that, because again I was assuming you would only get him late in the game, I had barely any material for Mr. Tiax that wasn't late game stuff.

All in all, Tiax needs a lot of tweeking to make right.

But anyway, recommended NPCs? I couldn't say for certain because I'm not sure what kind of party you want. For a good play-through, I've tended to stick with Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Dynaheir and Minsc, but that gets pretty tiring after awhile. Evil play-through tends to be me as a thief multi- or dual-classed with something else, Viconia, Edwin and Kagain. XP split four ways means much faster advancement.

The reason I hesitate to admit that I'm the writer is that I don't really like the dialogues I wrote all that much. Most of them are fine, but I did two very bad things:

1) I introduced a thing where Tiax leaves the party if your reputation isn't low enough, or else gives you five days to do something horrible or else he leaves. It seemed reasonable, given that he's a priest of Cyric, but for those players who used things like the 'happy mod' to ensure NPCs would never leave regardless of reputation it was basically re-introducing a disliked feature with no way around it.

I don't get it? You wrote him to be an evil ass who would not tolerate people who didn't keep with his ideals and somehow you were wrong? No the people using a mod to circumvent having characters stay true to themselves are the ones who are wrong here. This isn't Barbie Fantasy fun time, it is Baldur's Gate and a Lawful Good Paladin and a Chaotic Priest of Cyric should not be in the same party. The end.

2) I assumed he would always be found in Baldur's Gate Chapter Five, because that's where he's placed originally. Little did I know they would introduce a feature sticking him in the middle of Beregost from Chapter One on. Thus, I freely used references to things like the Iron Throne that the party should know nothing about in the early game.

Aside from that, because again I was assuming you would only get him late in the game, I had barely any material for Mr. Tiax that wasn't late game stuff.

Again, what was it you did wrong exactly? You wrote the dialog based on what you knew. It isn't your fault he got placed differently.

PS: We are now 35 minutes past launch and we still can't finish the pre load.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

I don't get it? You wrote him to be an evil ass who would not tolerate people who didn't keep with his ideals and somehow you were wrong? No the people using a mod to circumvent having characters stay true to themselves are the ones who are wrong here. This isn't Barbie Fantasy fun time, it is Baldur's Gate and a Lawful Good Paladin and a Chaotic Priest of Cyric should not be in the same party. The end.

Again, what was it you did wrong exactly? You wrote the dialog based on what you knew. It isn't your fault he got placed differently.

PS: We are now 35 minutes past launch and we still can't finish the pre load.

Probably better to say that these were less horrible mistakes on my part and more things that make me not want Tiax in the party for long when I play BG nowadays. He's damned quiet for the overwhelming majority of the game and has prophetic understanding of upcoming events in Chapter 1. That, in addition to his awful stats, makes him pretty sub-par.

As for the other thing, the game already has evil characters revolt and leave if your rep gets too high. In retrospect, introducing a redundant Tiax-specific event was pointless. If people don't want evil characters to leave, then I don't like forcing to down their throats.

All in all, Tiax needs a lot of tweeking to make right.

But anyway, recommended NPCs? I couldn't say for certain because I'm not sure what kind of party you want. For a good play-through, I've tended to stick with Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Dynaheir and Minsc, but that gets pretty tiring after awhile. Evil play-through tends to be me as a thief multi- or dual-classed with something else, Viconia, Edwin and Kagain. XP split four ways means much faster advancement.

I'm with Karkarov to some extent. You did what made sense for the character and I aplaude you for that. You shouldn't feel bad, though I appreciate the warning as far as punishing mechanics go. Judging by your answer, I think you might have misunderstood my question. I was asking what characters you thought the most interesting or the most changed by the BG1 NPC Project mod. Assume I'm playing just for the 'story' sort of interest and I'm willing to endure whatever horrible stats to hear NPCs say interesting things.

I also usually choose the good-aligned party you mentioned as I know it's canon. That's one of my biggest problems with BG2, it establishes canon and decides (somewhat) who my BG1 character was. If you know a mod or two that allows for different party members in the first area of BG2 (with dialogue/story points), I'd love to grab those too.

I'm with Karkarov to some extent. You did what made sense for the character and I aplaude you for that. You shouldn't feel bad, though I appreciate the warning as far as punishing mechanics go. Judging by your answer, I think you might have misunderstood my question. I was asking what characters you thought the most interesting or the most changed by the BG1 NPC Project mod. Assume I'm playing just for the 'story' sort of interest and I'm willing to endure whatever horrible stats to hear NPCs say interesting things.

I also usually choose the good-aligned party you mentioned as I know it's canon. That's one of my biggest problems with BG2, it establishes canon and decides (somewhat) who my BG1 character was. If you know a mod or two that allows for different party members in the first area of BG2 (with dialogue/story points), I'd love to grab those too.

No, I pretty much understood what you meant, but I'm not really in a position to give a good answer. The BG1 NPC project was a collaborative effort between a whole bunch of us, each tasked with our own NPC(s) to write. I did a few for Shar-Teel before someone else picked her up (and was later amused to find the person who worked on her later even included some of the short 'backstory' I wrote up for her), I did at least two banters between Tiax and every other NPC in the game, I introduced some environmental dialogue and so forth. All of those I know firsthand, but as for the others, I only know the dialogues I saw when I was playing. I never read all of the compiled new dialogues; there were just too many to sit down and read them.

So yeah, I wouldn't want to say. It would be an uneducated opinion.

EDIT: I misspelled 'uneducated'. Should I have left that as it was, to strike home the point?

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi
  • Like 1

As for the other thing, the game already has evil characters revolt and leave if your rep gets too high. In retrospect, introducing a redundant Tiax-specific event was pointless. If people don't want evil characters to leave, then I don't like forcing to down their throats.

Good thing I never wrote NPC's for that project then because my evil npc not only would have left the party but might have even considered down right betraying them as an act of revenge for wasting their time.

There's no drm.

One-time on-line activation when you first install. That's enough DRM in my book to make me not want to bother. Or did they change that?

no, and I wasn't happy when I found out.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

It's now over an hour since launch and the farthest I've gotten is 'getting download info.' I guess they must have really underestimated just how hard their servers were going to get hit.

It's now over an hour since launch and the farthest I've gotten is 'getting download info.' I guess they must have really underestimated just how hard their servers were going to get hit.

To be honest, I wouldn't have expected it either. They got pretty hard when that baldursgate.com site and countdown appeared but the news about an Enhanced Edition wasn't THAT big because everyone was rooting for something bigger. Based on that I would've thought that the EE would just appear and disappear again.

Elan_song.gif

To be honest, I wouldn't have expected it either. They got pretty hard when that baldursgate.com site and countdown appeared but the news about an Enhanced Edition wasn't THAT big because everyone was rooting for something bigger. Based on that I would've thought that the EE would just appear and disappear again.

No dice. It is still superior to the original with mods and will ultimately support all the same mods. BG has been one of GoG's best sellers, beamdog should have known better or allowed more competent distributors to handle the game too.

I have a pretty interesting topic of conversation that I want to discuss, but I'm a little scared of the response. I'm going to think it over a little before posting. Tomorrow. :)

You can't just leave us like that. What was it?! What topic?!

Anyway, I'd love to know how BG:EE turns out. I'm playing the unenhanced version (six bleeding discs and everything) at the moment. The only thing that I find lacking is the companion dialogue. For the most part, I feel like I could have made my whole party myself and not missed much. If they add a lot of dialogue, I might actually pick it up.

It's up. Piracy and DRM.

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

It's up. Piracy and DRM.

Mine still doesn't work, and what do you mean specifically by "piracy and DRM"? We knew there was one time online only verification but what else are we potentially looking at?

Edit: Just enabled me to start it. Finally :banghead: .

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

My launcher crashes, all the time, at the same point. no fix no way around it. they've released a faulty product. to boot their forums are down.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

It's up. Piracy and DRM.

Mine still doesn't work, and what do you mean specifically by "piracy and DRM"? We knew there was one time online only verification but what else are we potentially looking at?

Oh ah... my apologies. This is in regards to the thread I was dreading writing about. Wirdjos asked me about it and I told him to wait, as I wanted to find the right words. It's all explained in the thread, but it's a long read though. Nothing to do with BG:EE.

Those of you waiting for the downloads can read about it and comment! It's sure to be of interest and I'm sure everyone has an opinion.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

My launcher crashes, all the time, at the same point. no fix no way around it. they've released a faulty product. to boot their forums are down.

Well, frankly no recent launch of a game was without problems. Dragon Age had delivery problems (at least in my country), same for Two Worlds 2. World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 and Age of Conan had bad launchs, not to speak of Diablo 3... The same will happen to Project Eternity.

Elan_song.gif

There's no drm.

One-time on-line activation when you first install. That's enough DRM in my book to make me not want to bother. Or did they change that?

Yes, that is still there but I hardly count something like that as DRM these days. Anyway I didn't buy it myself either but for other reasons.

after a crappy launcher crashed often and in different slots, I managed to play the game. I wanted to check it out (since it's half past 1 in the AM here I wasn't going to play all night) I can say, losing my mouse pointer part way through kind of breaks the game.

---