Fine Art

obyknven

Why isn't it fine art? It's got form and function. Who are you to decide what art is or isn't? What are your credentials?

Seriously, I get that a topic like this might rub people the wrong way but it's no reason to be an arrogant prick.

I value art either by craftsmanship AKA: Talent or by subject AKA content. Nothing posted has tickled my fancy.

Also, fine art its denoted for being art for its own sake. The definition excludes propaganda which always serves political interests.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That would be what the Nazis called those who didn't like their Greko-Roman revival themed buildings and statues. I do kinda like the Stalinist propaganda aestethic. It has nothing on North Korean pieces though, even if they are kinda creepy. You know they represent a fantasy that you either buy into or you disappear in the middle of the night.

e_301.jpg

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

roerich246.jpg

Nicholas Roerich? Not his best work, IMO, but still a lot better than those Soviet propaganda posters.

Now, the Palace of the Soviets, that was Russian art at its best. Too bad it was never built.

Edited by Agelastos

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Why isn't it fine art? It's got form and function. Who are you to decide what art is or isn't? What are your credentials?

Seriously, I get that a topic like this might rub people the wrong way but it's no reason to be an arrogant prick.

Because "fine art" is defined, by the art world, as art created primarily for the purpose of evoking aesthetic pleasure. Propaganda posters are not fine art because they are not meant to evoke aesthetic pleasure, they're meant to influence people's beliefs or actions. Propaganda posters are applied art. Did I make any allusion as to the quality of the art? No. Did I say it was not art at all? No. I said it was not fine art because it is not fine art. Once again, it is applied art.

Furthermore, your immature ad hominem attacks do not improve your position any more than your ignorance. Do you accuse your teachers of being "arrogant pricks" every time they finish a sentence?

Art is a subjective experience. To proclaim anything as "the best art ever" is simply stubborn arrogance, a show of closed-mindedness, a refusal to accept the fact that there are subjective truths in the world, and not all of them are in line with your own.

Edited by AGX-17

roerich246.jpg

Nicholas Roerich? Not his best work, IMO, but still a lot better than those Soviet propaganda posters.

Now, the Palace of the Soviets, that was Russian art at its best. Too bad it was never built.

I thought that was Ming the Merciless.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.