What are you playing now?

Gorth

....hubby and I need a new co-op game, but there's nothing out there that I think he'd like. He doesn't like complicated, cutscenes/dialogues, story, or learning curves. :lol:

...don't suppose there's anything sorta like Borderlands in concept out there? Could have less 'rpg/skill' elements but probably not a pure modern FPS. Hm.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

....hubby and I need a new co-op game, but there's nothing out there that I think he'd like. He doesn't like complicated, cutscenes/dialogues, story, or learning curves. :lol:

...don't suppose there's anything sorta like Borderlands in concept out there? Could have less 'rpg/skill' elements but probably not a pure modern FPS. Hm.

Mass Effect 3? ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well Dead Island was very similar to Borderlands but it wasn't quite as good and Borderlands 2 blows it out of the water.

You guys might like Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2. They're coop shooters and both games have fun campaigns without very much in the way of cutscenes or intrusive dialogue. Teamwork is very much a requirement as well which is a bonus.

Splinter Cell Conviction has a pretty fun and unique co-op campaign but it's fairly short. It looks complicated when you watch gameplay vids but it really isn't, they did a fantastic job with the controls.

Alien Swarm was really fun, also completely free. It does require Steam though.

Ugh Rainbow Six Vegas, death of the series :p But yeah those are good shooter games, forget if you die or just are 'incapacitated'.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I liked RS Vegas, but I couldn't get myself to play Vegas 2 for longer than 10 minutes. The beginning / training / whatever start felt so bad to me that I lost all motivation to continue playing. And since then I haven't touched it ever again.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just finished Dishonored, and... it was disappointing. I usually like stealth games, but there was something I can't quite put my finger on in Dishonored that made it very underwhelming (guess it concerns a bit of everything in it, the "skillsystem", the artstyle, the level design, the storytelling element... nothing really "got me" there). Still, I managed to finish it, so I guess that's something at least.

Now playing Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams and surprisingly, the amount of satisfaction this game offers (through offensive amounts trial and error - I'm not that nimble with keyboard reflexes) is astonishing. :lol:

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Sniper Elite V2 with tweaked settings. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Playing the Eden event in Anno 2070.

Love the Deep Ocean expansion as it added more career levels to the factions and gave me awesome things to work for: unlocking the Eden Initiative top ability that makes my colonies immune to disease and saves me from building hospitals :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I've been replaying Dead Space 2 to give it a bit more of a chance since I wasn't impressed first time, and it is a lot better this time. I will probably pick up Eador over the next week, as the word of mouth on it has been excellent. Haven't really had much time for gaming though.

Was thinking of reinstalling BG1/2 thanks to Tigranes' LP, but the thought of going through ten CDs via a DVD drive with a busted release/ tray motor is a pretty effective deterrent.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete

Probably will be on sale, too, sometime this week... I picked them up at $5 each last year to reduce the hassle.

Tried more (solo) Dead Island. It's kinda fun, but the rate of weapon degradation early on is really annoying.

Also, I tried making the baseball bat/circular saw weapon and for some reason it made the blue text baton I was carrying disappear. No, I didn't use it to make the baseball bat weapon. :p

Back to watching TV instead.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

http://www.gog.com/g...gate_2_complete

Probably will be on sale, too, sometime this week... I picked them up at $5 each last year to reduce the hassle.

GOG has said they won't be on special in their current sale (I presume it's due to the EE release). At 4+ GB combined they're larger than my data cap though, which is why I haven't really considered them.

Re: Dishonored.

I think the issue is that it feels like they wanted to do so much, but ended up with a lack of something do it was trimmed down to a shadow of its former self. All of the background info is supplied in text interludes, there is basically no characterization of anyone except the princess, and the game jus does not seem to want to let the player be what they want from the pr (a blade wielding Demi-for of murder. Basically, take 2 parts hit an, one pArt assassins creed and one part bioshock, throw em in a blender and you have Dishonored.

While sitting in the airport I picked up the AC:3 book. Which made me all that much sadder that ac3 fell apart. There was so much that could have been done to the story to make the game much more amazing and draw to in. Especially with Haytham, who could have just out and out been the protagonists and been used to explore both sides of the conflict

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Yes. The writing is coherent. The first one totally hams it up and places rather arbitrary and silly situations of "look, you need to choose between supporting a nonhuman or supporting the human beside him!"

I'm not really a huge fan of the gameplay of either, particularly the combat. The first has tones that I absolutely loathe. After finishing it, it was a breath of fresh air to play the second. Love the divergent narrative.

KOTOR2 is great, I just played through Pelagus in one go with TSLRCM and it's been fun. I just need to fix the fast-forwarding cutscenes bug.

Yes. The writing is coherent. The first one totally hams it up and places rather arbitrary and silly situations of "look, you need to choose between supporting a nonhuman or supporting the human beside him!"

I'm not really a huge fan of the gameplay of either, particularly the combat. The first has tones that I absolutely loathe. After finishing it, it was a breath of fresh air to play the second. Love the divergent narrative.

This was one of the highlights of the game for me.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I played games most of the day yesterday. Started off with Tales of Graces f. Then my brother asked me if I wanted to play Borderlands. A few hours later, I picked up the PSP to play Legend of Heroes: ****. At 1am, me and my brother played Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One.

Since Dead Island is on sale for 10 bucks again, may as well get it for hubby. For that price he can try it and if he doesn't like it, no harm done. I do like the general "feel" of the game, it's still mainly the durability that annoys. I swear I whack 8 zombies with a metal pipe and it's broken. It's a bit much. :lol:

Tried playing some Assassin's Creed III MP. It's ... confusing. Half the time I don't even know which is my target (unless they make it obvious by running around). I also really suck at defending when I'm the target.

Beat Shadow Tower: Abyss a few nights ago. I enjoyed the Lovecraftian atmosphere but I wish the game could have been as ruthless as the original Shadow Tower was. In any case, now I can say that I've beaten every game that can be considered a predecessor to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

The PS2 that I sent to be modded should be coming back to me sometime this week, and when that happens I'll be playing my import copy of Forbidden Siren 2 on it. If it's anything like the first Siren, I anticipate I'll be spending long periods of time incapacitated by fear and completely freaking out. The first Siren was deeply flawed and is difficult to recommend to anyone, but for someone like me who was enough of a masochist to tolerate the game's many frustrating design decisions, its atmosphere was disturbing like nothing else and its stealth-based gameplay seemed to point to the direction that the survival-horror genre needed to go in. Although I could have done without the incomprehensible puzzles and being forced to redo missions for unforeseeable reasons, I actually mostly appreciated the game's ruthlessness and the extreme vulnerability of its many protagonists. I even liked that at any moment a sniper could pick me off from halfway across the map if I wasn't careful, as this made the game all the more tense and forced me to think strategically about my every move. Unlike other games in the genre there were no isolated safe zones where you could relax and recuperate your senses; it was just one long nerve-wracking godforsaken nightmare from beginning to end and I respected that. I do believe it is the only survival horror game to ever give me the same feeling of triumph and accomplishment upon completing a mission that I get when I beat a particularly difficult boss/area in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Hell, it's the only survival-horror game that I can even say was difficult at all. I'm hoping that Forbidden Siren 2 preserves much of what made the first game so compelling to me, and that its overtures to accessibility don't go too far like those of the PS3 remake Blood Curse. I'm expecting there to be some, at the very least, but nothing I hope like Blood Curse where most of the characters were armed and hence the sense of utter helplessness that made the original so horrifying was lost. I'm also hoping that the map doesn't show the player's location. That's probably something a lot of people complained about in the original Siren, but I liked the cruel situational realism and the feeling of disorientation that came with having to carefully look at your surroundings and find your bearings via the landmarks around you.

While I'm waiting on my PS2 to come back to me, I might start up Arx Fatalis or the Resident Evil remake. Kind of leaning towards the former at the moment. I've been really obsessed with Ultima Underworld style dungeon crawls lately. Before I finished Shadow Tower: Abyss I went through the entire King's Field series, and I'm still craving more claustrophobic and sprawling labyrinths to get utterly lost in.