What are you playing now?

Gorth

I tried working through a one city challenge in Civ 5 last night, but I think I've decided to give up on that one. Ramesses started the game with marble so he managed to swipe just about every wonder in the game with the exception of Colossus and ironically enough the Pyramids. I had managed to beat back 4 wars on the part of Ramesses and was doing just fine with the last one, but when I get the notification that Ramesses hit the Modern Era when I had yet to hit Industrial my "state of the art" army didn't feel quite so modern.

I was still behind most of the others in the tech race as well, but not quite to the extent I was with Ramesses. I could probably have kept up with a number of the others, but Ramesses was going to steam roll me sooner or later. Time to roll up another start I guess.

Did much of Hotline Miami. Now I'm getting into a game depression. I want a well written game I haven't played through before. Something with interesting ideas and clever presentation.

Coming up blank. Maybe Geneforge will have something.

Edit: Alternatively, I could write.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

A bit of Mass Effect, on and off. Not much time (and energy) for gaming at the moment.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Need to finish my Age of Wonders playthrough.

Need to finish Walking Dead.

Need to reach sector 8 in FTL.

Need to finish Giana Sisters: Twisted Dream.

Need to finish The Book of Unwritten Tales.

Need to do some questing in The Secret World.

Need to earn questionite in Champions Online.

Need to build some sort of time stasis device so I can do all that gaming.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On to The Witcher 2. It seems like a significant improvement over the first in almost every aspect.

Teehee...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Did much of Hotline Miami. Now I'm getting into a game depression. I want a well written game I haven't played through before. Something with interesting ideas and clever presentation.

Coming up blank. Maybe Geneforge will have something.

Edit: Alternatively, I could write.

Analogue: A hate story may* be what you're looking for.

http://ahatestory.com/

*May as in "I've no idea if it lives up to it's reputation".

Edited by Oner

Pootling around off and on with some TOR as distractions from various things.

I have to admit, the group finder doesn't work too badly to hit some of the Flashpoints and Hard Mode Flashpoints...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm losing my interest in Max Payne 3. I don't know what it is ... I'm just not having much fun with it.

My own fault for getting into it before knowing what kind of game it is, but I think the fact there's no real "downtime" between shooting isn't my cup of tea. Cutscene -> shooting a horde of bad guys -> cutscene -> shooting a horde of bad guys, with not much opportunity to even immerse myself in the world around me.

I guess I was expecting more GTA/Sleeping Dogs, where the missions were broken up with Max being able to at least walk around somewhere or buy new guns.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm finding that feeling all too common in most modern games. Max dwells in an interesting and atmospheric world, with its noire pretensions and grimy magnificence, and it seems perfect for exploration. Space Marine had the same problem, there was a vast world laid out before me, with the many decades of W40k lore to draw from, but it was all just swept aside by the endless reliance on combat.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Replaying Caesar 3 after mentioning it here, good memories. Still hate the stupid market woman not going where I want her to though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm losing my interest in Max Payne 3. I don't know what it is ... I'm just not having much fun with it.

My own fault for getting into it before knowing what kind of game it is, but I think the fact there's no real "downtime" between shooting isn't my cup of tea. Cutscene -> shooting a horde of bad guys -> cutscene -> shooting a horde of bad guys, with not much opportunity to even immerse myself in the world around me.

I guess I was expecting more GTA/Sleeping Dogs, where the missions were broken up with Max being able to at least walk around somewhere or buy new guns.

I'm finding that feeling all too common in most modern games. Max dwells in an interesting and atmospheric world, with its noire pretensions and grimy magnificence, and it seems perfect for exploration. Space Marine had the same problem, there was a vast world laid out before me, with the many decades of W40k lore to draw from, but it was all just swept aside by the endless reliance on combat.

Haahaha, oh wow.. :p

Okay guys, a hint for the future: shooters are about shooting :)

So I havent played WoW in months, probably since around D3 came out (I still pay for it due to signing up for 1 year). I hadnt even purchased the MoP expansion until my wife got it for me 2 days ago because I just couldnt be bothered. I installed it yesterday but only logged in long enough to briefly peruse the new stuff. I couldnt even remember how to control my toon because now my muscle memory is tuned for D3 (WASD vs mouse click). I cant figure out why I cant overcome this inertia. Maybe its the end of an era after playing for 7-8 years? Meh.

Replaying Caesar 3 after mentioning it here, good memories. Still hate the stupid market woman not going where I want her to though.

Gatehouses and more gatehouses! ;)

I was pretty good, once, at building housing blocks that had them going where I wanted (no gatehouses). But dem ladies definitely had screwy compasses in their heads.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So I havent played WoW in months, probably since around D3 came out (I still pay for it due to signing up for 1 year). I hadnt even purchased the MoP expansion until my wife got it for me 2 days ago because I just couldnt be bothered. I installed it yesterday but only logged in long enough to briefly peruse the new stuff. I couldnt even remember how to control my toon because now my muscle memory is tuned for D3 (WASD vs mouse click). I cant figure out why I cant overcome this inertia. Maybe its the end of an era after playing for 7-8 years? Meh.

I quit early this year and haven't had even the slightest urge to come back, and as I recall I've been playing slightly longer than you have. That Annual Pass thing was a clever ploy, fortunately as someone with no interest in D3 I could avoid being tied up. :p

Hypothetically, if I were to even try to come back, I think the attempt would burn out pretty quickly - my old guild, co-founded in 2007, no longer has the critical mass to even regularly do ten-person content: at its peak in 2008-2010, it was a fully fledged 25-person raiding guild. I have neither any inclination to attempt to rebuild (having quit any leadership roles at the end of LK) nor any drive to find a new home - which, aside, would involve paying the extortionate server transfer fee multiple times over as the old guild was the sole Australian/SEA guild on that US-Pacific time server. $250 to transfer them all? Good god.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Like I said, it's my own fault for not going in with more knowledge of what it would be about. But in my defense, I'd assumed it would play like other Rockstar made games like GTA or Sleeping Dogs, both that are sort of "shooters". Or even a third person shooter version of Deux Ex: Human Revolution. Obviously story and combat heavy, but with "downtime" between missions.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I quit early this year and haven't had even the slightest urge to come back, and as I recall I've been playing slightly longer than you have. That Annual Pass thing was a clever ploy, fortunately as someone with no interest in D3 I could avoid being tied up. :p

Hypothetically, if I were to even try to come back, I think the attempt would burn out pretty quickly - my old guild, co-founded in 2007, no longer has the critical mass to even regularly do ten-person content: at its peak in 2008-2010, it was a fully fledged 25-person raiding guild. I have neither any inclination to attempt to rebuild (having quit any leadership roles at the end of LK) nor any drive to find a new home - which, aside, would involve paying the extortionate server transfer fee multiple times over as the old guild was the sole Australian/SEA guild on that US-Pacific time server. $250 to transfer them all? Good god.

Mop seems almost built around burnout anyway. During Cata (the previous expansion for those who don't know) there was the issue that people felt like they didn't have enough to do. They fixed it by having all reputation rewards being based off daily quests, and had it so that you could do about 20 daily quests for one faction for 2 months, and not hit exalted.

And there are Three full raids, with different levels of loot, and the "vault" boss is just a dunderhead that's parked out in the world. I'm sort of vacilating on it right now personally.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Like I said, it's my own fault for not going in with more knowledge of what it would be about. But in my defense, I'd assumed it would play like other Rockstar made games like GTA or Sleeping Dogs, both that are sort of "shooters". Or even a third person shooter version of Deux Ex: Human Revolution. Obviously story and combat heavy, but with "downtime" between missions.

I can understand this, but the other 2 MP games were exactly the same. There wasn't any downtime. But try to finish it anyway, even if you feel the gameplay is a little repetitive.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Mop seems almost built around burnout anyway. During Cata (the previous expansion for those who don't know) there was the issue that people felt like they didn't have enough to do. They fixed it by having all reputation rewards being based off daily quests, and had it so that you could do about 20 daily quests for one faction for 2 months, and not hit exalted.

And there are Three full raids, with different levels of loot, and the "vault" boss is just a dunderhead that's parked out in the world. I'm sort of vacilating on it right now personally.

I'm on the verge of quitting WoW, just kept playing for the raids and my guild basically, the rest I don't much care for. The MoP lore is uninteresting as is the atmosphere of the epxansion. It's well executed but it doesn't fit in the lore. Would have preferred to see some actual content (more Burning Legion would have made sense) instead of an expansion around an april fool's joke.

The LFR system has imo destroyed casual raiding guilds, finding people that can be bothered to show up even half the time is proving next to impossible, basically the game is just continuing the decline it's been in for years, though I'm sure it will continue to do "well enough" until Blizzard finally decides to pull the plug. In my mind it all started to go downhill with the introduction of the LFG system and arenas, which destroyed the realm communities and battleground PvP respectively, everything added later was just adding insult to injury.

That said, I've picked up Guild Wars 2, started out as Sylvari, so far the Sylvari lore seems to be heavily inspired by the Fae from EverQuest 2 with some typical Elf stuff tossed in with a slight twist. Started out as Thief, not quite sure if the combat system is for me. It seems to be rather erratic with the dodging etc, might just be practice though, weĺl see.

Tried an elementalist first (big wizard guy here and all) but I'm getting rather tired of the lack of imagination MMO developers seem to have when it comes to mage-types, they are almost the same in every damn MMO and it's getting really really (really) old.

Edited by marelooke

I can understand this, but the other 2 MP games were exactly the same. There wasn't any downtime. But try to finish it anyway, even if you feel the gameplay is a little repetitive.

Never played 1 and 2. :p

I'll likely finish it, but I'll grumble about it all the while.